Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Affairs Department's role in the installation of home charging facilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Home Affairs Department (HAD) is the administrative arm of private housing estates under the Building Management Ordinance (Cap. 344).

Below is their response to my recent questions in relation to the installation of home charging facilities:

**************************************************************************************************************************
I write to provide relevant information on the Building Management Ordinance (Cap. 344) (BMO) in relation to proposed installation of home charging facilities for electric vehicles (EVs) within existing private housing estates.

2. If the proposed home charging facilities for EVs are installed in the common parts of private housing estates, the BMO would be relevant as it stipulates the requirements for owners’ corporations (OCs) to manage the common parts of buildings.

3. Any OC / individual owner who wants to install EV charging facilities in the common parts of private housing estates should comply with the relevant provisions of the BMO, deed of mutual covenant, and other relevant legislation and regulations (e.g. possible impact on voltage, electricity charges, etc.). If necessary, an OC general meeting may be convened to discuss and resolve the issue.

4. If individual owners want to install EV charging facilities and encounter difficulties, Districts Offices (DOs) are happy to refer their cases to relevant Government Departments, their respective OCs, owners’ committee and / or management companies for follow-up and necessary assistance.

5. In case OCs / owners have any disputes regarding the installation of EV charging facilities in the common parts, DOs may refer them to our professional support services, including (i) “Free Legal Advice Service on Building Management”, (ii) “Free Mediation Service Pilot Scheme for Building Management” and (iii) “Panel of Advisors on Building Management Disputes”, with a view to resolving the disputes.

6. We hope the above information is useful. We are happy to provide further information and make necessary referrals if you have any specific case in mind. For enquiries, please feel free to contact the undersigned at 2835 2363.

(LEUNG Wai-yat)
Liaison Officer I / (BM)3
Home Affairs Department

**************************************************************************************************************************************

Apparently, HAD should take a more proactive role to promote EV to the OCs / owners in accordance with the government policy

Quite a disappointing response; they clearly don't want to take the lead in this.

In general, the government approach at the moment seems to be to let the market work it out. No legislative support for home/workplace charge enabling existing car parks.