Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home air compressor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Z1xtFwjcpEx1.JPG

If you want something to use at home only, you can’t go wrong with a California Air Tools compressor. It’s super quiet, quick to get up to pressure, and super lightweight with an aluminum tank. It’s perfect for this purpose, as well as winterizing my irrigation system.

I agree to both. I have the air compressor and the handheld - both are great.
Thanks everyone for the replies. Since you have both - two questions
1. A quick look shows clamps to hook up to a vehicle's battery for the Ca Air Tools compressor. How does that work on a Tesla? is there another way to get power?
2. Are you comfortable with the RYOBI quality?
Ok, three questions - is that Laguna Seca?

I get a lot of use out of the Milwaukee unit linked below. I would look for one with batteries that you are likely to use with other cordless tools, or maybe look at any cordless tools you have and find one that uses those batteries. You can save a lot if you don't need to buy a battery with it.

The only drawback is that it does not have a high-volume hose for big inflatables, but I have a nice shopvac that does that much better than a small cordless unit would.

https://smile.amazon.com/Milwaukee-...e6caa4723c32b&language=en_US&sa-no-redirect=1

Thanks everyone for the replies. Since you have both - two questions
1. A quick look shows clamps to hook up to a vehicle's battery for the Ca Air Tools compressor. How does that work on a Tesla? is there another way to get power?
2. Are you comfortable with the RYOBI quality?
Ok, three questions - is that Laguna Seca?

The Cal Air compressor I use for track days - I attach it to my truck's battery. Great, quiet and high quality. Sorry I have not hooked it up to my 3 or X.

The Ryobi is awesome - I should be their spokesperson. I have one at work, one in my garage, one in my shop and have bought 6 for friends. All have performed great. I bought the hand held vacuums for friends to charge the battery if they don't have Ryobi tools.

No, not Laguna. It is Thunder Hill. I need to update it to a newer one.

I have the original Ryobi hand held inflator pump. My Ryobi has an analog pressure gauge but otherwise appears to be the same design as the current model. (The analog gauge on my Ryobi unit reads ~5 lbs high but since I generally use a separate pressure gauge this is no problem. When inflating the small tires on my utility wagon I just subtract 5 lbs from whatever the Ryobi is displaying and that is close enough for my needs.)

I would suggest that the hand held Ryobi 18V One+ Cordless Power Inflator (Model P737D) is only good for adding a couple of pounds of pressure to a tire, you won't want to attempt to use the Ryobi inflator to fully pump up a tire that has lost all of its air. The first reason is you need to keep your finger on the trigger else the pump will turn off. (The trigger is hyper sensitive, even though I know this I always seem to somehow press the trigger while picking up the Ryobi and the pump motor starts up; annoying to say the least.) The second reason is that the Ryobi, probably all of the small hand held inflators get quite hot after running for a few minutes, they need to be given time to cool down before proceeding to inflate additional tires. The third reason is that the output volume of air that the Ryobi hand held inflator can put out is small, takes a long time to inflate a tire. I use my Ryobi hand held inflator to add air to the tires of my snowblower, also a small utility wagon. The Ryobi is ideal for this purpose. I already owned several other Ryobi One+ 18V tools so the tire inflator was an easy purchase decision.

Another hand held inflator I have used is the Oasser P2 (the previous model was sold under the brand AirHawk). Unlike the Ryobi inflator the AirHawk (see Oasser P2 in The Best Tire Inflators) will stay turned on once you press the trigger, until the preset pressure you desire is achieved. The AirHawk gets quite warm, the owner's manual even states that you should the unit cool down if it gets too warm before proceeding. (The current model Oasser P2 even comes with gloves, in case you touch the parts that get hot.)

Reactions: mkspeedr