Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Assistant Integration(s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
Just started to use home assistant to automate many parts of the house, would now like to connect it to the Tesla.

Ideally I'd like to view:
  • Current charge level
  • Plugged in/unplugged status
  • Internal cabin temperature
  • Charging status
Would also be good to control:
  • Locks
  • Defrost/climate
I currently use TeslaMate which appears to offer an integration, however this doesn't seem to be well maintained and if I understand correctly, will keep the car awake:

This additional integration is available through the HACS extension:

Can anyone help with recommendations as to which integration you find works best, either from the above links or from other repos? I'd prefer the car not to be kept awake 24/7.

Would also be great to see how you've configured it, and how the car data appears on your home assistant dashboard, if you'd be so kind as to share screenshots.

Thanks!

I use tessie because I like the app base of it over others I've tried. The only automation i use is "alexa start the car" which does all my heating preconditioning etc. I also have tessie programmed to send me an alert if the battery is below a certain point at home and not plugged in.. It does loads of other stuff which I don't use but overall I use tessie instead of the tesla app. There's a big thread on here with the guy that makes it and he's very quick to respond to questions or problems. If you want a free trial I can send you a referral which gives you a longer freebie.

I use tessie because I like the app base of it over others I've tried. The only automation i use is "alexa start the car" which does all my heating preconditioning etc. I also have tessie programmed to send me an alert if the battery is below a certain point at home and not plugged in.. It does loads of other stuff which I don't use but overall I use tessie instead of the tesla app. There's a big thread on here with the guy that makes it and he's very quick to respond to questions or problems. If you want a free trial I can send you a referral which gives you a longer freebie.
Oh and no sleeping issues either

I use tessie
I'm not looking for a separate app to control the car, rather an integration/plugin for a home smart panel where I can control the car alongside smart lights, heating, cameras, smart plugs etc.

I'm planning to build a smart mirror over xmas, so have a dashboard prepared to control the home elements already and am now looking to add elements from the car to the existing dashboard.

The 'alandtse' integration from a quick glance appears to have all the data and controls I need (and more). Need to investigate polling and security now.

1671819514139.png

I use the TeslaMate integration for Home Assistant because it utilises the same mosquito instance as TeslaMate which means there is always the same data across both apps and you don’t have to input credentials twice. It doesn’t keep the car awake because it doesn’t query the car directly. It uses the TeslaMate mosquito topics, which in turn only queries server data. From what I can see the repo is maintained regularly enough. It was recently updated to cater for a new HA config.

I haven’t programmed any actions as that to me is too risky.

I’ll share screenshots when I’m at my desk.

Are you running cloud or on a Pi/local device?

Last edited:
Reactions: MrT3 and Medved_77
I use the TeslaMate integration for Home Assistant because it utilises the same mosquito instance as TeslaMate which means there is always the same data across both apps and you don’t have to input credentials twice. It doesn’t keep the car awake because it doesn’t query the car directly. It uses the TeslaMate mosquito topics, which in turn only queries server data. From what I can see the repo is maintained regularly enough. It was recently updated to cater for a new HA config.

I haven’t programmed any actions as that to me is too risky.

I’ll share screenshots when I’m at my desk.

Are you running cloud or on a Pi/local device?
Thanks for that info, great to know that the TM+MQTT route doesn't keep the car awake.

I'm running HA on a Pi, will be keeping it local.

Screenshots when you get a moment would be fantastic!

Reactions: doats1
Here's my dashboard for the car:

Screenshot from 2022-12-23 22-55-07.png

It definitely provides your view requirements, but it won't let you control the car as it's just TeslaMate data. It would be interesting to know what types of automation you'd like to trigger that involves controlling locks and heating.

I haven't really tampered with the default lovelace dashboard for the car since setting it up as I don't really use it. But I didn't set it up for viewing the data (I have TeslaMate for that), or to control the car (the Tesla app does what I need). I set it up to use the car's state and telemetry data to feed into automation triggers for lights, heating, alarms and cameras.

There used to be an official integration but it was deprecated (though they still support official Powerwall and Wall Connector integrations). I found the HACS version kept my car awake if the polling came out of sync.

Reactions: Medved_77
Thank you!

I'll have a play with the TeslaMate data tomorrow. Spent a bit of time setting up the 'alandtse' integration today, really just cutting out the stuff I don't need, changing the theme, testing and ensuring it still allows the car to sleep (which it seems to, however I'll need to monitor this over a longer period).

Waking then unlocking the charge port latch are probably the only two controls that I'm likely to use frequently. I'll see how it goes but will probably do without and stick to TeslaMate if there's any issues with polling/keeping the car awake.

Here's where I got to so far. No map currently so will have to sort that out.

1671839819242.png

Reactions: doats1
I use both integrations and the car sleeps fine. Teslamate for all the info the GitHub one to control things. Note I set a very large polling time on the GitHub one as I don't need the polling (1month).

I have the following setup:
* I can ask Google home to prepare the car - turns on HVAC
* I have a Google calendar for when I am in the office and it will set a higher charge and enable precondition the night before
* When the car arrives home the house door unlocks.

Bit late to this chat. HA HACS integration is good. I used Tasker initially but I have ported everything over. My main reasons was the preconditioning. I work an odd shift pattern so the programming was tricky but is nice having a warm car at 5am. And now we have seat heaters working. You can discuss with the team what you would like and it does happen. I asked for 'auto' setting to be added for the seat heaters and it was in the next update. If you are new to HA it might be worth trying Node Red I have been told its a good logical programming interface. I didn't try it and now i feel i might have missed out and its too late to start over. It also has a Tesla integration.
...No map currently so will have to sort that out.

View attachment 888423
Ref. Map its part of the cars location tracker. On dashboard edit and add Map and for Entity add your car, it will be something like "device_tracker.<your cars name >_location_tracker" just start typing cars name it will be there. You can add phones which are running the companion app but thats more trouble.

I must be the world's biggest dummy. I installed the 'Tesla' integration for HACS. I clicked download, took the default version, the box went away, and I restarted HA. But, how does one configure it? The only mention of 'tesla' in the HA .log file is the usual one HA puts for every HACS integration.

I have Tesla access and refresh tokens. I have no idea how I put them into the HAC integration. From google, it appears after clicking Download on the HAC integrations page, some folks get prompted ?

Before installing the HACs integration, I updated my HA to 2023.1 since the version I had previously was too old for the HACS Tesla integration.

I must be the world's biggest dummy. I installed the 'Tesla' integration for HACS. I clicked download, took the default version, the box went away, and I restarted HA. But, how does one configure it? The only mention of 'tesla' in the HA .log file is the usual one HA puts for every HACS integration.

I have Tesla access and refresh tokens. I have no idea how I put them into the HAC integration. From google, it appears after clicking Download on the HAC integrations page, some folks get prompted ?

Before installing the HACs integration, I updated my HA to 2023.1 since the version I had previously was too old for the HACS Tesla integration.
After adding the integration to HACS, and restarting Home Assistant, head to Settings > Devices and Services > Add Integration and search for Tesla Custom Integration there. You'll then be prompted to add your token.

A bit off topic but does anyone know if it’s possible to run home assistant on an old Android tablet? As you’ll be aware getting your hands on a Raspberry Pi is pretty much impossible these days

I know I could run it on AWS but spending around 30 odd quid a month on Fargate seems a bit excessive

A bit off topic but does anyone know if it’s possible to run home assistant on an old Android tablet? As you’ll be aware getting your hands on a Raspberry Pi is pretty much impossible these days

I know I could run it on AWS but spending around 30 odd quid a month on Fargate seems a bit excessive
Find a mini pc on ebay search "nuc" and look for intel processors and ssd. Should get one for £50-60. No need for wifi better to have lan.

• Informative
Reactions: Zilla91
For anyone that doesn’t like the wait for the car to turn on to unlock a cable, I programmed a Shelly Button (stuck to wall) with HA so when pressed indoors the car turns on and unlocks the cable by the time I get out to it.

I have my button set as:

1 press = opens/close garage door
2 press = unlocks charge cable
3 press = might set this to external ‘fart’
Long press = multiple automations on the car