Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Battery Adoption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard from a friend that he had read somewhere that home battery is currently installed in < 5% of solar homes in the US. I am kinda of surprised by that given all the solar media coverage about home batteries for the past few years but I don't have any data to dispute it. Can anyone point to actual data on home battery penetration rate of homes with solar?

I heard from a friend that he had read somewhere that home battery is currently installed in < 5% of solar homes in the US. I am kinda of surprised by that given all the solar media coverage about home batteries for the past few years but I don't have any data to dispute it. Can anyone point to actual data on home battery penetration rate of homes with solar?

I couldn't find it but I do recall reading that it is < 5%. Might even be close to ~2%. There's just not much benefit. If you have NEM and your power is reliable most people just don't think it's worth the expense. There's an option we can offer called 'Secure Power Supply'. We can install it for ~$600 and it provides up to 2kW to a dedicated outlet during an outage if there's enough sun. Even that is a hard sell let alone several thousand for a battery they may never use....

The PSPS events in California and the winter storm in Texas this year are giving people more reasons to get home battery systems.

Hope so... my plot of interest isn't promising... kind of amazed at how quickly super interested people (because they just spent a day in the dark) turned into super disinterested people (because it had been several hours since they spent a day in the dark... )

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 11.56.39 PM.png

I couldn't find it but I do recall reading that it is < 5%. Might even be close to ~2%. There's just not much benefit. If you have NEM and your power is reliable most people just don't think it's worth the expense. There's an option we can offer called 'Secure Power Supply'. We can install it for ~$600 and it provides up to 2kW to a dedicated outlet during an outage if there's enough sun. Even that is a hard sell let alone several thousand for a battery they may never use....

It appears that reality is quite different from the impressions I got from the solar media outlets. I guess it's still tough competition even with all the government incentives against generators for backup power as I had read Generac residential business jumped almost 40% with long backlogs after the PSPS events started happening which was also a bit surprising to me.

It appears that reality is quite different from the impressions I got from the solar media outlets. I guess it's still tough competition even with all the government incentives against generators for backup power as I had read Generac residential business jumped almost 40% with long backlogs after the PSPS events started happening which was also a bit surprising to me.
I see generators going nuts the last year being installed. Batteries, never ever see them

Hope so... my plot of interest isn't promising... kind of amazed at how quickly super interested people (because they just spent a day in the dark) turned into super disinterested people (because it had been several hours since they spent a day in the dark... )
You need to move to PG&E territory! Three times this winter the power went out, once for a week, and twice for three days. It was almost strange driving into the driveway and seeing lights when all around our house it was pitch black-- except for the candle here and there.

And the best part? They expected us to pay for power for those blackout periods.

Reactions: nwdiver
You need to move to PG&E territory! Three times this winter the power went out, once for a week, and twice for three days. It was almost strange driving into the driveway and seeing lights when all around our house it was pitch black-- except for the candle here and there.

And the best part? They expected us to pay for power for those blackout periods.
I live in PGE country. Last year just one short power outage.