Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home battery energy store & heat pump advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have 16 panels and a 4kW inverter and we are all electric. We generate 4.4MWh a year and get £1,000 a year cash-back as the panels were installed 8 years ago. Payback was in 7 years.

Don't forget there is the less efficient air-water-air heat pump that heats water that goes to your radiators via pipes, and you may need to upgrade the radiators and if you have microbore pipes, I doubt it will work.

We use the more efficient air-air heat pumps with 4 cassettes in ceilings and one wall unit, and we ripped out our storage heaters so we now have much more space. Advantages of this system are: heating or cooling is near instantaneous and very controllable; you save space over the other less-efficient method; and the very big advantage is you just reverse the system in the hot summer to stay cool. Disadvantage is no government grant and it may be tricky to fit cassettes. We have a 7.5kW and 5kW systems that use an absolute max of 2kW of electrical energy.

We have 16 panels and a 4kW inverter and we are all electric. We generate 4.4MWh a year and get £1,000 a year cash-back as the panels were installed 8 years ago. Payback was in 7 years.

Don't forget there is the less efficient air-water-air heat pump that heats water that goes to your radiators via pipes, and you may need to upgrade the radiators and if you have microbore pipes, I doubt it will work.

We use the more efficient air-air heat pumps with 4 cassettes in ceilings and one wall unit, and we ripped out our storage heaters so we now have much more space. Advantages of this system are: heating or cooling is near instantaneous and very controllable; you save space over the other less-efficient method; and the very big advantage is you just reverse the system in the hot summer to stay cool. Disadvantage is no government grant and it may be tricky to fit cassettes. We have a 7.5kW and 5kW systems that use an absolute max of 2kW of electrical energy.
@RedMod3 I’m guessing that like me, you’re in a bungalow and any ducting is in the loft. That would negate any need for me to have a unit near the central heating.
when you say 4 cassettes, do these amplify flow and does every room have a vent?
what’s the weekly consumption in winter?

@RedMod3 I’m guessing that like me, you’re in a bungalow and any ducting is in the loft. That would negate any need for me to have a unit near the central heating.
when you say 4 cassettes, do these amplify flow and does every room have a vent?
what’s the weekly consumption in winter?
Bungalow and 3 cassettes in the hall, one in the lounge and one in another room mainly to keep IT cool.

No ducting, the cassettes and wall unit are connected with 1/4 and 3/8 pipe to the outside units. All rooms bar those two have no heaters or aircon units inside them as the air circulates by itself. Our kWh have halved. Electricity consumption ranged from 600 to 1,900 kWh per month. Steady state consumption is 1.1kWh, because of IT. Peak summer months slightly higher than the low as the units are in cooling mode when it is hot.

5kW panels facing 155 degrees m. At 45 degrees angle. Into approx 6kWh Aquion S20 saltwater batteries plus 1200w panels on the opposite roof. Picks up some sun from March to about now, just connected to the batteries for top up in the summer evenings.
9kw Samsung HP works well with the battery solar setup.. and Go..ATM I run HP for the 4 or 5 hours overnight and then whatever solar is available.
I also have 20 tube array heating 320lit of water which works on its own April to Sept and gets topped up, if neccessary, with the HP I always have at least 20c in the tank even in the winter, so the most intensive heating is already done. Solar tubes work efficiently in almost any light and even on very cloudy days you'll get something, unlike PV panels. The whole setup.works well with the M3, but I am considering some more salt water batteries when they become available in the UK.
If you have the space for solar thermal, it will give you much more " bang for your buck" and leaves PV to.power the house with the batteries.
With this setup I haven't exceeded 12pkWh since summer when I changed to Go. With an average of about 9pkWh

Bungalow and 3 cassettes in the hall, one in the lounge and one in another room mainly to keep IT cool.

No ducting, the cassettes and wall unit are connected with 1/4 and 3/8 pipe to the outside units. All rooms bar those two have no heaters or aircon units inside them as the air circulates by itself. Our kWh have halved. Electricity consumption ranged from 600 to 1,900 kWh per month. Steady state consumption is 1.1kWh, because of IT. Peak summer months slightly higher than the low as the units are in cooling mode when it is hot.
That’s useful info. Thanks. I thought it might trounce oil for cost but comparing my use last year and using your daily usage as a guide, oil was just over 2/3rds the cost. My place ticks over on 300Wh normally. I need to look carefully at what a pump setup for me will use. I need to be able convince myself that my 2 Powerwalls could handle it and have something left for backup. It think it would take 3 to do that.
that said, my figures were a bit back of a fag packet.