Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charge current limit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thusfar my home charge has been limited to 10A max. I had an electrician out today to move the charge pod for unrelated reasons and while he was here I asked if the pod limited the charge, and he said it could handle 16A comfortably. So I adjusted the current rate on the car's screen to 15A, plugged it in, but it was back to "10A/10A" and would not let me push it any higher (lower, yes).

So, if it's not limited by the charge pod, it must be the charge cable that came supplied with the car? Is that right?

Thusfar my home charge has been limited to 10A max. I had an electrician out today to move the charge pod for unrelated reasons and while he was here I asked if the pod limited the charge, and he said it could handle 16A comfortably. So I adjusted the current rate on the car's screen to 15A, plugged it in, but it was back to "10A/10A" and would not let me push it any higher (lower, yes).

So, if it's not limited by the charge pod, it must be the charge cable that came supplied with the car? Is that right?

No, the supplied type 2 cable should not be limiting the charge.

What cable are you using., and what are you plugging it into?

This one?
tesla-mobile-connector-1.jpg

ah, thought so. That, with the domestic 3-pin-plug adapter, is limited to 10 amps whatever it's plugged into.

To get more you need a commando socket or electric vehicle charging socket installed on the house. The former will let you use the other (blue) adapter for the cable in the picture above and give you 16amps. The latter will let you use the other cable supplied with the car (like the all-blue one below) which you can also use on public AC charging points like PodPoint @ Tesco etc

type-2-cable.jpg

ah, thought so. That, with the domestic 3-pin-plug adapter, is limited to 10 amps whatever it's plugged into.

To get more you need a commando socket or electric vehicle charging socket installed on the house. The former will let you use the other (blue) adapter for the cable in the picture above and give you 16amps. The latter will let you use the other cable supplied with the car (like the all-blue one below) which you can also use on public AC charging points like PodPoint @ Tesco etc

type-2-cable.jpg
Worth mentioning that you can also get a (larger) 32A blue adapter for about £17...

Thanks for all the comments - cleared things up very nicely. FWIW I'm going to stick with what I've got as it covers my real-world needs. Just thought I might get more out of it but if I can't, it's fine, I'll make do.

I had an electrician come over today to wire up a dedicated 32A line using commando socket.

The car eventually made it to 32/32A and was giving me 28mi/hr charge rate.

I stopped the charge just to see what happened (curiosity more than anything), and when I restarted the charge via the Tesla app i can't seem to get anything above 17/32A which is around 15mi/hr.

Any ideas?

Sorry about the confusion - the car pod's individual distribution board connection can put out 16A, but of course the plug blows at 13A - which shouldn't happen because the car's cable limits it to 10A.