Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charge only 3.3kW, normally 6.6kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Charge last night took unusually long, reviewed TeslaLog and figures (compared to "normal" which has been consistent over the previous charges) are:

.Last nightNormal

[TR1][TD]Amps[/TD][TD]16/32A[/TD][TD]32/32A[/TD][/TR1]
[TR2][TD]Volts[/TD][TD]235V[/TD][TD]234V[/TD][/TR2]
[TR1][TD]kW[/TD][TD]3.8kW[/TD][TD]7.5kW[/TD][/TR1]
[TR2][TD]Rate[/TD][TD]10 mph[/TD][TD]0 mph[/TD][/TR2]
[TR1][TD]Batt[/TD][TD]8.5A[/TD][TD]18A[/TD][/TR1]

Any reason for this? I remember spotting that charging rate on screen was 31A and I increased it to 32A (can't remember if I have charged at home since, charging at work is more common for me). I wonder if I had reduced it to 31A in the past for some reason. Charging at work has always been one or two MPH faster, so that [location] has probably been set to 32A

Charged OK last night. I sat in the car at the start of the charge and charging-rate seemed to pause at 10 MPH, so I knocked it down to 31 AMPs, and MPH then increased. I put it back up to 32 AMPs and MPH didn't come back down again, so perhaps I was hasty in adjusting it down to 31 AMPs.

I always like to charge slightly below the limit to help reduce wiring heat stress

That's a good idea. It miffs me that car charges at 20 MPH at home and 21 MPH at work !, but Work has a 3-Phase supply within a few feet of the charging point, whereas at home we have an old, undersized, supply cable underground for 150 yards which I'm sure doesn't help.

If there is a risk that Car might be more likely to trigger reduced charging rate at 32 AMP than a bit lower I would prefer to suffer the old MPH charging rate for never getting to the car in the morning and finding it was only half charged ;)

I will make another experiment tonight at 32 AMP, without fiddling with 31 AMPs, and see if that works OK, and then change it back down to 31 AMP to see if that avoids any slow-charging re-occurrence thereafter.

Charged just fine, still set to 32 AMPs, last night. Maybe plug was not properly seated on Friday night ...

Every night the first data-row of charging shows 16Amps and then a minute later it is 32AMps; Friday night stays at 16Amps. Could do with something that notifies me when that happens otherwise I might get caught out with half-a-charge.