Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do we need 'smart' chargers when the car itself is managing the timing, current etc.? I've had a smart Pod Point for 4 years and have never once used the smart features on it, because the car manages it. Unless you have solar or home battery or something, I don't see the benefit. Just seems like a load of electronics for no reason.

Why do we need 'smart' chargers when the car itself is managing the timing, current etc.? I've had a smart Pod Point for 4 years and have never once used the smart features on it, because the car manages it. Unless you have solar or home battery or something, I don't see the benefit. Just seems like a load of electronics for no reason.
I feel the same way as you - I've never once looked at the EO app beyond the first day I got it. I just let the car manage it's charging schedule and leave the actual wall charger to be a 'dumb' switch.

Reactions: adsheff
The car's charge management isn't complete as we stand, although it would be an easy fix if Tesla were minded to address it. You can't set a defined start and end time for charging, relevant where a fixed cheaper tariff period applies. You can kind of get round it, with a set start time and estimated target % to add, but that is more cumbersome than it should be. Setting the end time as a departure time is pointless if you are not actually departing as the battery will use energy to pre-heat. The other surprise is that the car charging settings can't be set via the Tesla app - another easy fix for Tesla, one would assume?

My Wallbox app allows me to easily set start/end times and change remotely as needed.

I can adjust the start and end times from my phone, can't do that from the Tesla App.

I also share a charger with my wife's Nissan Leaf which has no way to set a maximum charge level, it's a bit of a hassle but my Eo Mini Pro app can calculate the time to charge to hit a specific percentage.

This is all good info. Currently looking to get a charger before my M3 arrives. Finding it all a bit of a minefield. The Zappi seems to be the easiest option (as everyone seems to install them and have stock). But i kinda like the idea of a smaller unit (or something that looks a bit nicer, as it'll be on my front elevation).

Has anyone used the Anderson units? they look expensive but seems like they are still available with the OZEV grant

This is all good info. Currently looking to get a charger before my M3 arrives. Finding it all a bit of a minefield. The Zappi seems to be the easiest option (as everyone seems to install them and have stock). But i kinda like the idea of a smaller unit (or something that looks a bit nicer, as it'll be on my front elevation).

Has anyone used the Anderson units? they look expensive but seems like they are still available with the OZEV grant
How about the HyperVolt? Whilst it only (currently) comes in white, it does have a nice clean look.

Yeah i've just been checking out the Hypervolt, gets good reviews and looks decent. will see how quickly they can install. thanks
I recommended a friend take a look at the Hypervolt for an ID.4 due later in the year and I believe he’s been quoted 2 - 3 weeks from a local supplier on Friday so it doesn’t sound like there is a supply issue. I think he may be ordering it today.

I was quoted 6 weeks for an Andersen as they don’t tend to stock them due to the colours. It looks like my install will drag into several months. I placed the order around 01/06 and I’m still no nearer. It turns out we have a “looped” power supply so this needs sorting before we can have a wall box fitted.

The SyncEV is a good charger for the Tesla as the Tesla can set the start time and percentage charge, but you need to set the charger to basic mode. However, the SyncEV is no good for cars that cannot set % charge themselves, as the cars will always be charged to 100%.

Reactions: Puzuk
The Wallbox unit is pretty small and neat. Good app too which means ours now will only charge between 12.30am and 4.30am, during the Octopus Go cheap rates. Means we can plug the car in anytime but charging only starts when the cheap rates begin. Works a treat for my M3 and my wife's ID.3.

(Can of course override the time constraints if required by clicking one button on the app)

How long are you having to wait from survey to the install ? Mine seems to be stuck waiting on the DNO approval (SSE) since beginning of June. This is a workplace install so maybe they are worried all the load be during the day but is the only one on our estate.

How long are you having to wait from survey to the install ? Mine seems to be stuck waiting on the DNO approval (SSE) since beginning of June. This is a workplace install so maybe they are worried all the load be during the day but is the only one on our estate.
10 days or so, I think (BP, bundled with a lease). I was surprised at the speed, but it was a very 'standard' domestic install.

I’m planning to buy/lease a M3 towards the end of the year and currently upgrading the circuit breaker box and running the required cabling to the outside wall where the charger will be located In readiness.

I learned that the U.K. OZEV grant isn’t available for the Tesla Wall Connector so I’ve been researching various 3rd party chargers and, of course, there are a bunch of conflicting views on the pros and cons of the various offerings.

I’m inclined to spend a little more to go with a better quality and better supported product however and want to avoid the need for an earth rod and want decent customer support.

The Zappi charger appears to tick all the right boxes however I thought I’d seek the opinions of Tesla owners who’ve already been through this odyssey and come out the other side laughing.

Another interesting product is the HyperVolt (again, in the U.K.) so I’d be grateful for any helpful comments.

Thanks in advance!

Got Zappi tethered back in mid 2020, we got it mainly for solar charging and it runs great. Supports Octopus Agile via myenergi site. No WiFi, uses RF hub to connect to internet.
Firmware update chime uses Final Fantasy victory tune, which is nice.