Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been told I can swap the tethered type 1 cable attached to our old 16 amp Chargemaster 'charger' for a type 2 cable fairly easily (the instructions I've seen online don't look too tricky). And I really fancy getting a Tesla button (superfluous, I know, but why not?). So, rather than importing a brand new cable from evchargeking, is there anything to stop me buying a silver Tesla home charger from eBay and taking the cable from that? I know you people will know... ;-)

So, rather than importing a brand new cable from evchargeking, is there anything to stop me buying a silver Tesla home charger from eBay and taking the cable from that? I know you people will know... ;-)

The Gen 2 Tesla Wall Connector cable is a very heavy duty cable. Its much much thicker than most other charge point cables which may impact on how the cable enters and connects to your existing charge point. If you have not seen one before, Tesla destination chargers often use the TWC.

Reactions: DigbyChicken
The Gen 2 Tesla Wall Connector cable is a very heavy duty cable. Its much much thicker than most other charge point cables which may impact on how the cable enters and connects to your existing charge point. If you have not seen one before, Tesla destination chargers often use the TWC.
I knew I could rely on your wisdom...!

So, theoretically possible, but I might be better off with a first generation unit...? (Happy to play the long game and see if one comes up on eBay over the next few months...)

So, theoretically possible, but I might be better off with a first generation unit...?

I didn't say theoretically possible :) Its going to also be dependent on how the RF transmitter (only used to open charge port, unlocking cable is done by pilot signal) is powered. Looking at an old photo of the inside of the Gen 2 (below), superficially there only appears to be the one low voltage wire, but its not entirely clear. I'm guessing the pilot signal. Looks like the whole cable at that point is indicating 2v, so maybe thats what is powering the RF transmitter. It looks like that 2v is also being detected on a non Tesla charger connector too, so hopefully. that may be what you need.

I've not come across 1st Gen units. We are currently on only just available 3rd Gen units, with 2nd gen being the ones you are more likely to come across when out and about. The 3rd gen units have a completely different cable, much thinner.

Internals of a Gen 2 TWC. The question is, other than the 3 phases, earth and red low voltage, what, if any other wires are within the cable? Parts Catalog

1624960336707.png

I didn't say theoretically possible :) Its going to also be dependent on how the RF transmitter (only used to open charge port, unlocking cable is done by pilot signal) is powered. Looking at an old photo of the inside of the Gen 2 (below), superficially there only appears to be the one low voltage wire, but its not entirely clear. I'm guessing the pilot signal. Looks like the whole cable at that point is indicating 2v, so maybe thats what is powering the RF transmitter. It looks like that 2v is also being detected on a non Tesla charger connector too, so hopefully. that may be what you need.

I've not come across 1st Gen units. We are currently on only just available 3rd Gen units, with 2nd gen being the ones you are more likely to come across when out and about. The 3rd gen units have a completely different cable, much thinner.

Internals of a Gen 2 TWC. The question is, other than the 3 phases, earth and red low voltage, what, if any other wires are within the cable? Parts Catalog

View attachment 679177
Thanks ever so. Excellent stuff as always. Would it be fair to say that the cable will likely work as a type 2 charger without any issues, but that the RF transmitter may or may not get the power it needs? Or am I better off just swapping the type 1 cable and plug for a type 2 cable/plug that I know will be a straight swap for the Chargemaster and forgetting about the button? (Or maybe seeing if I can afford an evchargeking cable in due course...)

Thanks ever so. Excellent stuff as always. Would it be fair to say that the cable will likely work as a type 2 charger without any issues, but that the RF transmitter may or may not get the power it needs? Or am I better off just swapping the type 1 cable and plug for a type 2 cable/plug that I know will be a straight swap for the Chargemaster and forgetting about the button? (Or maybe seeing if I can afford an evchargeking cable in due course...)
If you look at page 29 of the following:

you can see the 4 signal/low voltage wires going to the charging handle which won't be supported on your charger - this diagram is China only but I'd assume the charging cable is the same worldwide.

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger
If you look at page 29 of the following:

you can see the 4 signal/low voltage wires going to the charging handle which won't be supported on your charger - this diagram is China only but I'd assume the charging cable is the same worldwide.
Thanks. Back to the drawing board. (I'm assuming the same is true of the evchargeking cable.) Or maybe I'll just live with what I've got...!

Thanks. Back to the drawing board. (I'm assuming the same is true of the evchargeking cable.) Or maybe I'll just live with what I've got...!
The evChargeking cable should be fine, they use 3 heavy duty LNE conductors and a single signal wire - probably worth checking with them if they know your specific charger would be compatible but it probably will be.

Reactions: DigbyChicken
Yes it does work! ✅ ⚡🚗🔋👍🏼
So use the car to charge with the Sync EV then?

I got mine installed today and wanted to make sure it would work overnight. I tried just a basic charge during the day to make sure it all worked as it should. Not tried scheduling. It also did not report in the App the history of that charge however :(

Not sure I want to sit in the car at 1:30am to watch!

I got mine installed today and wanted to make sure it would work overnight. I tried just a basic charge during the day to make sure it all worked as it should. Not tried scheduling. It also did not report in the App the history of that charge however :(

If you have the Tesla app notifications set appropriately you will be notified of start of charging with time & current battery percentage, and end of charging with time and final battery percentage. So you can sleep easy!

Reactions: Puzuk and yfwt
I got let down three times by an installer to put a Zappi in. Now I'm seriously considering a Hypervolt instead (and a new installer of course). It's a bit of a leap of faith as they haven't released their solar integration yet, but the kit looks pretty positive and it's powered by a RPi which must give them so many options for OTA updates and future functionality. Looks well made too.

Use the car to charge scheduled start at the time you get you lower EV rate, plug in and start the charger using the sync ev app.

I got let down three times by an installer to put a Zappi in. Now I'm seriously considering a Hypervolt instead (and a new installer of course). It's a bit of a leap of faith as they haven't released their solar integration yet, but the kit looks pretty positive and it's powered by a RPi which must give them so many options for OTA updates and future functionality. Looks well made too.
Like the look of this Hypervolt, looks better than a Zappi to me (and cheaper), it has a CT on the incoming supply, so will do the solar thing by measuring export and adjusting based on that, won't it?
If they programmed the RPi to use MQTT to send info to a MQTT server, then it would work beautifully with Node Red. Will be watching this one, but I'd like to see a 22kw 3 phase before I'd consider changing mine.

So on the SyncEV app do a manual ‘Start Charge’ or put it into Basic mode to get it ready to go when the car picks up it’s schedule at 1:30am?
Put the Synch EV into BASIC mode, so it is effectively off. Then set the scheduled start time in the Tesla. Provided the SyncEV is in BASIC Mode (in Smart mode it will ping the Tesla every 2-3 mins to stop it sleeping), the Tesla will go to sleep, and then wake up and start taking charge at your scheduled start time in the same way that the Tesla basic charger works with the Tesla.

Reactions: yfwt and Puzuk
correct - hope it worked for you! remember to put charging notifications on your tesla app so you can see when it started and ended charging :)
It did work. Cable into car, cable into charger, scheduled for a 1:45am start. Put in basic and the charger went into ‘preparing’ and starts to flash blue.
One thing it didn’t do was record the charge in the Synv EV app which was pretty annoying. I like to know how much charge the car took. Any idea what i did wrong?