Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to say that based on recommendation here I had a SyncEV charger installed yesterday by EVC Installs. Ben was easy to deal with, good communication. The install was delayed a bit because the DNO needed to upgrade the fuse and I needed to upgrade the meter tails before that but Ben was quickly available once I was ready to go.

Install was outside a Victorian mid-terrace in central London so didn't receive the grant.
How do you get the cable to the car out of interest? (assuming you didn't receive grant because no off-road parking?)

I’m planning to buy/lease a M3 towards the end of the year and currently upgrading the circuit breaker box and running the required cabling to the outside wall where the charger will be located In readiness.

I learned that the U.K. OZEV grant isn’t available for the Tesla Wall Connector so I’ve been researching various 3rd party chargers and, of course, there are a bunch of conflicting views on the pros and cons of the various offerings.

I’m inclined to spend a little more to go with a better quality and better supported product however and want to avoid the need for an earth rod and want decent customer support.

The Zappi charger appears to tick all the right boxes however I thought I’d seek the opinions of Tesla owners who’ve already been through this odyssey and come out the other side laughing.

Another interesting product is the HyperVolt (again, in the U.K.) so I’d be grateful for any helpful comments.

Thanks in advance!
Had our first Zappi installed In 2017 for the Outlander. Second one added in 2018 for the Ioniq.
one is in the Garage, the other on the house wall. Minimum trouble with either and good customer support.
When the Ioniq went and the M3 came, swapped over car‘s living accommodation and tethered charging cables between the two with ease.

Thanks for the replies. I’ll mull over Zappi and HyperVolt a little longer as I’m in no rush. I like the look of the HyperVolt although it sounds the Zappi has a bigger installed base due to it’s been on the market longer so maybe it’s a more proven product.

Customer support could be the deciding factor for me if there’s not much to choose between them technically.

A point to consider when selecting a home charger is. If you only use the charger for a Tesla, you can either use to basic Tesla charger or set a smart charger to basic mode and let the Tesla set the start and stop times.

However, if you have a second EV, like we have, a Smart EQ, this car cannot set start and stop times and as soon as you plug in a charging lead, it charges straight away if there is power on the cable, so I am reluctantly using a granny cable connected to an Economy 7 supply and have to run the car down to 20-25 miles remaining range to bring the charge up to the optimal 80%.

The alternative is to use the smart feature of a smart charger, but my SyncEV cannot delay charging unless it sends 6A pulses every 3 minutes (so operating relays in the car each time) to keep the car awake, or sending a constant 6A charging current. Currently, there is no option to optionally not send the 6A pulses, but SyncEV have said they will try and solve this issue.

So, my question is: on the chargers you have had installed, if you wish to set either a charge amount or a charging period, does the charger you have selected allow you to delay charging without sending pulse/charge to the car in the meantime, and has your preferred installer commented on this?

I have a Tesla and SyncEV chargers.

A point to consider when selecting a home charger is. If you only use the charger for a Tesla, you can either use to basic Tesla charger or set a smart charger to basic mode and let the Tesla set the start and stop times.

However, if you have a second EV, like we have, a Smart EQ, this car cannot set start and stop times and as soon as you plug in a charging lead, it charges straight away if there is power on the cable, so I am reluctantly using a granny cable connected to an Economy 7 supply and have to run the car down to 20-25 miles remaining range to bring the charge up to the optimal 80%.

The alternative is to use the smart feature of a smart charger, but my SyncEV cannot delay charging unless it sends 6A pulses every 3 minutes (so operating relays in the car each time) to keep the car awake, or sending a constant 6A charging current. Currently, there is no option to optionally not send the 6A pulses, but SyncEV have said they will try and solve this issue.

So, my question is: on the chargers you have had installed, if you wish to set either a charge amount or a charging period, does the charger you have selected allow you to delay charging without sending pulse/charge to the car in the meantime, and has your preferred installer commented on this?

I have a Tesla and SyncEV chargers.
I have a Tesla M3SR+ and charge with a (bespoke design) Viridian charger.
I charge via Octopus Go Faster and set the Tesla to commence charging at 15 minutes after my 5.5p rate window opens.
So that answers your question about delayed charging the car sits there asleep ie nothing being sent by the charger once plugged in until the time set in the Tesla charger. What you can’t do in a Tesla is also set an end time, if you want to stop the above programmed charge you have to set the battery charge percentage such that the charge reaches that set percentage before the 5.5p window closes.
Hope this helps

As Somex says, you can't set start and finish times in the car, only the start time and approximate the finish time by guessing what percentage to add. Using 'departure time' to stop the charging is also pointless if you are not actually leaving at that time, as energy will be used to pre-condition the battery. This is a flaw in the Tesla software but could easily be fixed and hopefully should also be picked up in the app.

We have a Wallbox charger which has its own app. Through that we have the charger set to only operate during the low cost period on our tariff (Octopus Go - 5p between 00.30 and 04.30). That way we can plug the car in at any time but charging only begins in the cheap period. Meantime, the car sleeps until the charger wakes it. Works perfectly on my M3 and my wife's ID.3.

We can of course override the time restriction via the app and charge at any time if needs be.

i have three phase supply in my house. i have a power supply in my garage which says that max Ampere is 45 A.My query is that do i need a charger or simply use the socket to charge my model3 tesla.
I believe i can schedule charging time of my tesla by tesla mobile app??

Do i need some commando socket etc ?

Also, does buying a charger like pod or zappi makes any sense?
please advise.my tesla would be coming sometime in Oct-nov.

cheers

i have three phase supply in my house. i have a power supply in my garage which says that max Ampere is 45 A.My query is that do i need a charger or simply use the socket to charge my model3 tesla.

cheers
The charger(s) are built into the car, the EVSE (the box most people refer to as the charger) should contain a variety of electrical safety features and necessary plelextrixal safety protection together with signal and handshaking between it and the car. It’s not just an electric source with a cable and plug to connect to the car.
That electric source can be used to feed the chosen EVSE

You can't.

From my post immediately before yours;
As Somex says, you can't set start and finish times in the car, only the start time and approximate the finish time by guessing what percentage to add. Using 'departure time' to stop the charging is also pointless if you are not actually leaving at that time, as energy will be used to pre-condition the battery. This is a flaw in the Tesla software but could easily be fixed and hopefully should also be picked up in the app.

Reactions: Somex
The charger(s) are built into the car, the EVSE (the box most people refer to as the charger) should contain a variety of electrical safety features and necessary plelextrixal safety protection together with signal and handshaking between it and the car. It’s not just an electric source with a cable and plug to connect to the car.
That electric source can be used to feed the chosen EVSE
Thanks for comments, and yes, I made an error as on a Tesla you can set the charge start time and battery percentage.

My comments were for if you are not just charging your Tesla, but another EV that cannot set charge start time and percentage battery. Will your choice of charger work with the other EV (as well as the Tesla)

Thanks for comments, and yes, I made an error as on a Tesla you can set the charge start time and battery percentage.

My comments were for if you are not just charging your Tesla, but another EV that cannot set charge start time and percentage battery. Will your choice of charger work with the other EV (as well as the Tesla)
Please accept my apologies if I misunderstood your original post

You can use the supplied Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) to charge at rates up to 32amps if you purchase the appropriate commando adapter from Tesla and if you have a 32amp commando socket* at your premises (otherwise you are limited to 10amps via a normal 13amp plug).

*Though a "standard" 32amp commando socket will work with the UMC there are electrical regulations (for additional safety) that specifically apply to car charge points. It would therefore be a good idea to take advice from an electrician.

The above relates to single phase use. You also have the option of taking full advantage of your 3 phase supply if you buy a dedicated charge point. This will take your charging rate on a Model 3 from a max of 7 kW to 11kW. In theory your 3 phase charge point could supply 22kW but it depends on the charger electronics in the car ... which only goes up to 11kW. For most people the extra expense is therefore only of benefit if you need to charge multiple vehicles at the same time.

Finally been unlooped, just hope they come back tomorrow to reinstate/make good, as PodPoint are installing on Thursday!
(already in the neighbour bad books as road is a mess)

1630433547627.png

Reactions: Stuart1714
Finally been unlooped, just hope they come back tomorrow to reinstate/make good, as PodPoint are installing on Thursday!
(already in the neighbour bad books as road is a mess)
I’m glad ENW are doing something, I had a survey done almost 2 months ago and now they say we need another before we can be unlooped.

Due to the delays, the person handling it are trying to get permission from another department to allow the charging point install to go ahead as long as I only use it at night.

I went with an Ohme charger, great setup and plenty of control through the app. I think you can now use the app on any brand of charger as it connects to the car. I have it set up to charge when my Octopus Go Faster hours are cheap and get it to 80%. Set it up once and now just plug in. Easy as pie

I’m glad ENW are doing something, I had a survey done almost 2 months ago and now they say we need another before we can be unlooped.

Due to the delays, the person handling it are trying to get permission from another department to allow the charging point install to go ahead as long as I only use it at night.
I've not been impressed with the crews that did the road works, they just turned up and started digging and have left the street and neighbours garden in a right mess (over the bank holiday too). I'm assured a clean up crew will be out today. Actual unlooping work took about 10 minutes and my fuse was replaced with a 100a one. (they just snipped the cable and tape it off)