Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone

our miles are relatively low, 110-150 max a week!

I think the idea with a good home charger is the convenience and overall safety of it too. I know there’s cheaper methods etc, even getting a commando socket installed but I work away a lot and want the wife to be safe at home and easy for her to charge the car when needed.

Love to hear more input.

Tesla Wall Connector.
Works just fine, I don’t know what issues a poster earlier alluded to but as far as I’m aware it’s perfectly fine.
Takes away the “it’s a charger compatibility issue” bollocks when troubleshooting charging problems
It’s not “smart” which is a bonus IMHO as it just reduces points of failure.
Stays in the Tesla ecosystem.

Reactions: ChickenDipper
+1

A 10A charge via a 13A/3pin socket will give approx 11% boost on a Model 3 LR battery within the 4 hour Octopus Go window - cost approx 50p. Thats 20-30mile real world range. Numbers will be slightly more favourable on a SR+.

ymmv

Hi,

is the 13A/3pin the standard feature in the house? Sorry for the stupid question.

Just because the landlord doesn't let me install a charging pint so i will be using the 3-pin plug at home. Luckily I have a supercharger 3 miles away. I understand this setup adds 8 miles/hour?

THanks

Yes, its the standard 13A 3pin plug.

Take the 8 miles per hour as guidance. Depending on how you drive, weather (especially temperature), types of journeys, it can be much less. And thats before you take into how you leave the car when parked. Sentry mode and pre conditioning both take a considerable toll on range.

I’m a fan of the Tesla Charger

but

no OLEV Grant, additional installation bits and pieces so I hear

cost racks up

I’m down to a choice between 2 now, Wallbox or Zappi
Me too. I had an old OLEV Rolec swapped for the Tesla charger last year.

The electrician showed me the inside of both, and it was like chalk and cheese - the Tesla was so much better build quality than the Rolec.

Bear in mind that many of the grant-subsidised chargers are more expensive to start with, and often the grant “disappears” as the installer sees it as another £350 profit!

I’d get quotes for all three including the Tesla charger.

Zappi because we already had 5kW solar & batteries, very pleased with how 'smart' it is.

3 settings: Fast 7kW @32A giving around 30 miles/hour charge & the other settings Eco / Eco+ include load balancing with house usage & solar panel input. When high current appliances like kettle/oven/dishwasher etc need power, the flow to the car temporarily reduces (I've noticed the same when clouds pass in front of the sun!).

Me too. I had an old OLEV Rolec swapped for the Tesla charger last year.

The electrician showed me the inside of both, and it was like chalk and cheese - the Tesla was so much better build quality than the Rolec.

Bear in mind that many of the grant-subsidised chargers are more expensive to start with, and often the grant “disappears” as the installer sees it as another £350 profit!

I’d get quotes for all three including the Tesla charger.
Was any additional cabling needed for the TWC? I also am thinking of swapping my Rolec (which is fine, but I’d like a longer cable and the button).

Was any additional cabling needed for the TWC? I also am thinking of swapping my Rolec (which is fine, but I’d like a longer cable and the button).

The TWC needs a type B RCD (or type A-EV [or something else that provides DC protection] but former now more widely available) to provide 6mA DC protection. Also, if the car can be charged outside, it also requires an earthing system that is not via the house supply cable, eg PME - something like earth rods. Your existing setup may have the latter, but former is typically built into modern charge points, so may not be in your existing setup if it had its own DC protection.

Not sure what the implications might be if your Rolec was installed with OLEV grant and you remove it within a period of time (3 years?)

No extra cabling required. The electrician removed the Rolec and the associated meter and telecoms reporting required by OLEV, installed the new RCD, and fitted the TWC where the Rolec had been. My main reasons for changing was for the long cable (the charger is at the front of the garage) and the button.

The OLEV agreement on the original charger runs for three years, so I wouldn’t replace one newer than that.

Reactions: rotor2k