Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So (deep breath), here is my scenario. The wife doesn't want a tethered solution as the cable messes with her mojo and she wants it small and unobtrusive so untethered and likely to be an Ohme, Wallbox, EO charger now. The charging unit will need to be around the back of my house but the consumer unit is around the front so likely a long run around the side of the house to the charing unit.

Then I have the issue with the car as it outside my back gate in a carpark (on my land). Depending on where I park it I'll need a 10meter or 15meter charging cable.

Options & advice appreciated! :)
Ours was going right by the front door so we opted for the Zappi as you can wrap the cable around it when not in use. Andersen was a lot more expensive and actually I quite like seeing the Zappi and the LCD screen is also helpful. Definitely looks a bit tidier than those where you have a separate cable mount IMO.

Reactions: Puzuk
Yup totally agree with the tethered solution and would probably get a zappi but the tethered cable length would prob be too long to sit around it properly but I’m not the boss in this scenario and I’m kind resigned to the dirty long cable and a small box 🙁

What’s everyone’s views on pod point charger now? As they a bad word these days? I am restricted on choice of charger as I have a narrow path so it’s either pod point or EO for me unless someone knows a charger that’s no thicker than 180mm in depth?

I'm torn between the Ohme or the EO for looks. Did you go untethered and if so where are you sourcing your charging cable from, if not the Tesla one? I have the same issue by the sounds of it, Consumer unit around the front, charging point around the back necessitates a long cable run.
I think Ohme only comes tethered with a 5m cable. The cable runs down from the consumer unit, around the front of the house as low as it would go, under a path and onto the front of the garage.

What’s everyone’s views on pod point charger now? As they a bad word these days? I am restricted on choice of charger as I have a narrow path so it’s either pod point or EO for me unless someone knows a charger that’s no thicker than 180mm in depth?
My Zappi version 1 is just under 90mm deep

Attachments

• 8FBC3056-A8E7-4145-82F5-4D41BB73591E.jpeg
    8FBC3056-A8E7-4145-82F5-4D41BB73591E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 86
Reactions: yfwt
My Viridian is 114 deep

My PodPoint charger had been absolutely fine. It got better recently when you can schedule on/off times as well...

Sadly the Tesla has an issue in the current software that means waking from sleep is intermittent. They are giving it though, honest...

My Podpoint charger is perfectly fine, it's not as small or unobtrusive (being a circle) as others but for a charger that plugs into your car it's good, i've not tried the new functionality yet as the tesla's charge start time function has been fine for me. Only had 1 instance of it randomly tripping out in 8 months of ownership. If it's one of the few you can get i'd go for it!

Has anyone needed any work to their consumer unit? I've had a look at ours and every terminal is occupied, so this obviously increases the cost significantly.

(Outdoor plugs, Kitchen, standard lighting and plug rings, boiler, oven).

I'm also nervous about the quality of the electricity we can draw - 1960s house, I have a bad feeling we may struggle to get 7kW.

Many installations will bypass the existing consumer unit and fit a mini one. This also has the advantage of keeping sustained high current kit out of an existing installation with potentially little or no history. They would normally use a Henley Block to split the tails from the meter or isolation switch.

If you don't have an isolation switch (often fitted for free when a new meter is installed if you ask) then the main fuse will need to be pulled. The volume of the tuts and sucking noises from the electrician is often an indication on how much they want to inflate the price. Technically I believe that whilst it is illegal to pull the fuse without permission from the DNO, if you speak to any reputable electrician who knows his job they will explain the seemingly unwritten understanding that sometimes the fuses need to be pulled and next time the DNO or meter company is on site they will simply re fit the seal and not ask any questions. It saves them and the DNO wasting their time on an unnecessary phone call.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Adopado and yfwt
Has anyone needed any work to their consumer unit? I've had a look at ours and every terminal is occupied, so this obviously increases the cost significantly.

(Outdoor plugs, Kitchen, standard lighting and plug rings, boiler, oven).

I'm also nervous about the quality of the electricity we can draw - 1960s house, I have a bad feeling we may struggle to get 7kW.
My local sparky replaced our 1980’s CU with a larger one when our kitchen went full electric. Glad he did. We’ve since added second Zappi, Powerwall and solar array. There is still some space left. Not sure how much it cost as it was in with all the kitchen work. I’d guess £200 ish.

OK so I have questions about the EO Mini Pro 2 versus the Zappi.

I have solar, but only a very small array (around ~1.4kW). Ideally I'd like to do solar matching charging, but realistically it seems unlikely to generate the current required to charge a Model 3.

I've spoken to an installer, who claims that he EO Mini Pro 2 doesn't offer solar integration, whereas the Zappi does. However, everything I read about the EO Mini Pro 2 suggests that with an extra CT clamp, it can indeed sense your solar generation level and adapt charging accordingly.

They claim that the Zappi is required to do these things, but I suspect that might be outdated information. That the Zappi costs £100 more is of course total coincidence! ;)

So two questions:
  1. Does the EO Mini Pro 2 actually integrate with home solar?
  2. Is it even worth adding the solar integration options with my small solar panel array?