Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It did work. Cable into car, cable into charger, scheduled for a 1:45am start. Put in basic and the charger went into ‘preparing’ and starts to flash blue.
One thing it didn’t do was record the charge in the Synv EV app which was pretty annoying. I like to know how much charge the car took. Any idea what i did wrong?
I put one of these in series with my power cable to record all my EV charging. Price varies from £20-26. ECA2 - Single Phase 100 Amp Electric Meter. MID Certified.: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

It did work. Cable into car, cable into charger, scheduled for a 1:45am start. Put in basic and the charger went into ‘preparing’ and starts to flash blue.
One thing it didn’t do was record the charge in the Synv EV app which was pretty annoying. I like to know how much charge the car took. Any idea what i did wrong?
Check the charging history of your sync ev app the three lines button aka hamburger icon on the top left of the app and than opens a menu and select charging history there. Hope this helps! :)

Out of interest on a linked topic. I have an EV box charger, which for some reason only charges at 3KWh (tested on 2 cars) and also ignore the charge profiles i have set for it to charge at its own time. I keep having to go to there support (who blame the software). Where do i stand on getting my money back on this and getting a charger that, you know, works.

On topic, Dont get an EV box charger, they seem to only care about commercial clients. No App and the software is more of less broken.

Out of interest on a linked topic. I have an EV box charger, which for some reason only charges at 3KWh (tested on 2 cars) and also ignore the charge profiles i have set for it to charge at its own time. I keep having to go to there support (who blame the software). Where do i stand on getting my money back on this and getting a charger that, you know, works.

On topic, Dont get an EV box charger, they seem to only care about commercial clients. No App and the software is more of less broken.
Could it be the wiring or fuse you’ve got? Can you draw 32 amps (7kw) or 16 amps (3kw) you might need an electrician to give you a second opinion

That was my experience - domestic just isn’t their focus. My charger which had originally delivered the full 7kw was going slower and slower. EV box said it was throttling itself to avoid overheating (and thus in spec) which was pretty ridiculous back in March when it was 5 degrees overnight. It look a lot of back and forth and my installer reaching out to their contacts at EVBox to get them to accept to replace it under warranty (and they still managed to lose the replacement, claim they were out of stock etc etc)

If you purchased via OLEV/OZEV they list some contact addresses if you have problems with a manufacturer ( Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme: guidance for customers ), might be an additional means of pressure.

Reactions: Palros
That was my experience - domestic just isn’t their focus. My charger which had originally delivered the full 7kw was going slower and slower. EV box said it was throttling itself to avoid overheating (and thus in spec) which was pretty ridiculous back in March when it was 5 degrees overnight. It look a lot of back and forth and my installer reaching out to their contacts at EVBox to get them to accept to replace it under warranty (and they still managed to lose the replacement, claim they were out of stock etc etc)

If you purchased via OLEV/OZEV they list some contact addresses if you have problems with a manufacturer ( Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme: guidance for customers ), might be an additional means of pressure.
Thanks,

I am really tempted to just call it a loss and replace with something else. It would be nice to get my money back, even just some of it

Check the charging history of your sync ev app the three lines button aka hamburger icon on the top left of the app and than opens a menu and select charging history there. Hope this helps! :)
First place I looked! Just random 0 charges. So definitely something wrong.
Might try the EV energy app instead ..

Attachments

• 202D3E3E-1DB9-4C51-90C7-91FEB37D5021.jpeg
    202D3E3E-1DB9-4C51-90C7-91FEB37D5021.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 56
I've ordered a Model 3 and since it's my first EV, I'm looking at home charging options. I'm thinking of going for a EO Mini Pro 2 since I'm already with Octopus, my only concern is that the car will parked at least 5 metres away from the wall of my house. I was thinking of putting in a little cabinet or post pretty much right next to the car is parked, but obviously this will increase the cost of installation, any advice?

I was thinking of putting in a little cabinet or post pretty much right next to the car is parked, but obviously this will increase the cost of installation, any advice?
Two things to consider. The mains feed would have to be buried at least 60cm in the ground so as you say there is going to be an additional cost associated with the installation, and the device needs to connect to your wifi - will it get a good signal at your proposed location?

Your other option would be to get the untethered one and a separate 7m or 10m cable.

After a couple of years with a Clipper Creek charger, I'm now a huge Clipper Creek charger fan. My Clipper Creek came with a long cord, it's quiet as a mouse, has worked perfectly, and they had a lot of plug and wattage options when I originally purchased (hopefully that is still true), so I was able to buy a unit that plugged into my existing 6-50 outlet, and I was able to get a 40 amp version to match the capability of my 6-50 outlet wiring. Awesome!

Really beats my prior unit, a GE Wattstation, that buzzed loudly while in operation, made an obnoxiously loud clanking sound from the contactor every time it turned on or off, had a shorter cord, was limited to 32 amps, and died after a couple of years.

I've ordered a Model 3 and since it's my first EV, I'm looking at home charging options. I'm thinking of going for a EO Mini Pro 2 since I'm already with Octopus, my only concern is that the car will parked at least 5 metres away from the wall of my house. I was thinking of putting in a little cabinet or post pretty much right next to the car is parked, but obviously this will increase the cost of installation, any advice?

All perfectly feasible. You will be tempted by the apparent neatness of the standard untethered box that you pug your own cable into ... but I strongly recommend considering a tethered version. This makes plugging in quicker, easier and very much cleaner! Taking out an untethered cable and then attaching at both ends may not seem much of an issue but then when charge is finished you need to coil up the cold wet, dirty cable and store it somewhere or sling it in your nice clean boot ... or spend time wiping it down and coiling it into a bag. You will generally want a cable ("Type2 Cable") to carry in the car that can be used if you have to charge at an untethered public charge point. I know that the Mini Pro is available in untethered and tethered versions.

Reactions: Drew57
After a couple of years with a Clipper Creek charger, I'm now a huge Clipper Creek charger fan. My Clipper Creek came with a long cord, it's quiet as a mouse, has worked perfectly, and they had a lot of plug and wattage options when I originally purchased (hopefully that is still true), so I was able to buy a unit that plugged into my existing 6-50 outlet, and I was able to get a 40 amp version to match the capability of my 6-50 outlet wiring. Awesome!

Really beats my prior unit, a GE Wattstation, that buzzed loudly while in operation, made an obnoxiously loud clanking sound from the contactor every time it turned on or off, had a shorter cord, was limited to 32 amps, and died after a couple of years.

You are posting in the UK/Ireland section of the forum ... we have different specs and brands so not relevant I'm afraid.

Two things to consider. The mains feed would have to be buried at least 60cm in the ground so as you say there is going to be an additional cost associated with the installation, and the device needs to connect to your wifi - will it get a good signal at your proposed location?

Your other option would be to get the untethered one and a separate 7m or 10m cable.

Yes, a 5m distance is within reasonable range for a charging cable and could save install issues. I think my Zappi has about 6.5m as standard. Need to check out options for the Mini Pro.

You are posting in the UK/Ireland section of the forum ... we have different specs and brands so not relevant I'm afraid.
Admittedly, I wasn't paying close attention to the forum region, but Clipper Creek does list a few international chargers (though I don't know how good their international units are, nor which countries they can be used with, and options may be more limited). They can be found here: International: Electic Vehicle Charging Stations | ClipperCreek

Admittedly, I wasn't paying close attention to the forum region, but Clipper Creek does list a few international chargers (though I don't know how good their international units are, nor which countries they can be used with, and options may be more limited). They can be found here: International: Electic Vehicle Charging Stations | ClipperCreek

Those international versions don't have connectors that would fit a UK spec Tesla ... we have so-called "Type 2" connectors on our cars ... different to the US type. Not what the OP is looking for unfortunately.

Slightly off topic but how satisfying is it watch Youtube videos (Particularly the Artisan Electrics) charger point installs? I've stopped watching videos on Tesla model 3s and now only watch these vids 🤣

On topic, I like the look of the Hypervolt charging point. However, the Boss (Mrs) prefers the look of the Anderson (Apparently its the least charging point looking charging point).

Reactions: browellm
Slightly off topic but how satisfying is it watch Youtube videos (Particularly the Artisan Electrics) charger point installs? I've stopped watching videos on Tesla model 3s and now only watch these vids 🤣

On topic, I like the look of the Hypervolt charging point. However, the Boss (Mrs) prefers the look of the Anderson (Apparently its the least charging point looking charging point).
Yeah I've been watching the Artisan videos for a while. They were pushing the Zappi to begin with but when I saw the HyperVolt, I settled for that one. While the Anderson is a slick looking charger, the guy that installed mine the other day did say they had some reliability issues but that they had released an updated version which may (or may not) have solved this. He didn't rate their app much either but apps can always be updated.

Even after all the grants, it still cost me close to £500 for the HyperVolt supply and install. The Andreson is likely to be another couple of hundred above this?

I would also check what your wifi signal is like outside your house as new builds are great at keeping heat and wifi signals inside!