Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
....the Boss (Mrs) prefers the look of the Anderson (Apparently its the least charging point looking charging point).
My shy little Zappi and her friend are close to achieving that accolade....

Zappisteria.jpeg

My first post here.

I'm having a great deal of trouble trying to claim the Scottish EST car charger £250 installation grant. 10 days after grant application, I had this response:

1625908957763.png

This is bonkers.

I've uploaded a charger quote from my chosen installer, which includes a final cost once the OZEV and EST grants are taken into account.

Furthermore I uploaded my proof of order. This is what their application form requires (yellow emphasis)

1625909409293.png

Originally I uploaded the booking invoice, now they are saying that I actually need to show the final invoice. So they are changing their tune. Given that the final invoice is only issues days before the car is delivered, it seems like I have to receive the car, before getting the charger installed. That's no good at all.

I've now uploaded the order agreement. To my mind, either document in the tesla account (below) should show sufficient proof that I've got a car on order
1625909197855.png

Is it just me, or are these guys maddeningly difficult to deal with? It takes 8 days to (normally) process an application. That's fine, but then it's 8 more days to get a further reply, and 8 more days to deal with the next quirk, and 8 more days ad infinitum until no doubt the EST grant probably gets withdrawn. The only telephone number I was given, goes direct to voicemail.

So, has anyone got any tricks for dealing with these guys, or is this genuinely a smoke and mirrors grant that doesn't actually exist?

My first post here.

I'm having a great deal of trouble trying to claim the Scottish EST car charger £250 installation grant. 10 days after grant application, I had this response:

View attachment 683178
This is bonkers.

I've uploaded a charger quote from my chosen installer, which includes a final cost once the OZEV and EST grants are taken into account.

Furthermore I uploaded my proof of order. This is what their application form requires (yellow emphasis)

View attachment 683181

Originally I uploaded the booking invoice, now they are saying that I actually need to show the final invoice. So they are changing their tune. Given that the final invoice is only issues days before the car is delivered, it seems like I have to receive the car, before getting the charger installed. That's no good at all.

I've now uploaded the order agreement. To my mind, either document in the tesla account (below) should show sufficient proof that I've got a car on order
View attachment 683179

Is it just me, or are these guys maddeningly difficult to deal with? It takes 8 days to (normally) process an application. That's fine, but then it's 8 more days to get a further reply, and 8 more days to deal with the next quirk, and 8 more days ad infinitum until no doubt the EST grant probably gets withdrawn. The only telephone number I was given, goes direct to voicemail.

So, has anyone got any tricks for dealing with these guys, or is this genuinely a smoke and mirrors grant that doesn't actually exist?
Looks like you've ordered a Tesla. They accepted me sending them the order agreement and the quote from my supplier (see below).

Your installer probably needs to give you a quote showing the OZEV grant being discounted but NOT the EST grant. See my quote below as an example. I paid the £728 and have now claimed back the £250. Once you get that from the installer (in PDF format), send them that along with your order agreement and you'll get it approved.

My grant application was approved first time, I'm guessing they're just picky with what they will accept document wise. Also make sure the installation DOESN'T go ahead BEFORE you get your grant approved.

estimate.PNG

However, the Boss (Mrs) prefers the look of the Anderson (Apparently its the least charging point looking charging point).
A lady at work was asking about me about Teslas the other day. Our company is looking to get one of the salary sacrifice schemes so she’s looking for an EV for when it becomes available.

A relative had promised to sort out a charger for them as they work for a company that makes them, but when I showed her a picture of an Andersen, I think she may have changed her mind.

Moderator comment - posts merged from "Tesla Home Wall Charger... Recommend or Avoid?"

Looking at options for installing a Home Charger, but it seems like most of the popular choices (Pod-point, EO etc) all require you to use their installers (I have managed to find a great local electrician so would prefer him to install)...

I was looking at the Tesla Charger (Currently £460) and wondered if anybody had feedback on it? Specifically, it would be great to know:

1. Can it be used to charge Non-Tesla EV's (I'm assuming yes as the plug is universal now, right?)

2. Are the UK versions Gen 2 or Gen 3? I've read a lot of issues being reported with the new Gen 3's but most of those accounts are in the US

3. Any alternatives anyone would recommend?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I had EO installed by a local electrician who is experienced and certified for installing EV charge points.

If I was in the market for one again now I would be looking at the Hypervolt. Seems to have the same levels of smart capabilities as Zappi, but a simpler self-updating mechanism.

The Tesla charger is fine, but simple, and will end up costing more as it needs an external Pen Fault device on the circuit and isn't available with the OZEV grant. It doesn't have any smart abilities e.g. to divert solar, monitor your total current, scheduled charging etc.

Reactions: Dommmm and JS77
There is some doubt over the TWC's outdoor suitability, in particular water ingress under the plastic cover of the Tesla button. It definitely does happen, but reports of failure due to it happening are fewer than you might expect if it was a widespread problem. Those that have had units replaced under warranty have suggested that it comes with the caveat that the unit must be covered. Ironically the plastic cover issue seems to occur when the plug is inserted in the car so a cover has no benefit.

Reactions: JS77 and kelvin 660
1. Yes any Type 2
2. Don't know
3. I went for the Tesla unit despite it not qualifying for the grant and am on my second one. The first gen had a design flaw with one of the internal wires. When mine failed Tesla could see the problem by remotely accessing the car and looking at the messages between the car and the unit. Replaced under warranty within 24 hours and they refunded the electricians costs. It's been solid ever since (3 years) and opening the flap using the button on the charger is a nice benefit. No faffing around.

• Informative
Reactions: 15Peter20 and JS77
There is some doubt over the TWC's outdoor suitability, in particular water ingress under the plastic cover of the Tesla button. It definitely does happen, but reports of failure due to it happening are fewer than you might expect if it was a widespread problem. Those that have had units replaced under warranty have suggested that it comes with the caveat that the unit must be covered. Ironically the plastic cover issue seems to occur when the plug is inserted in the car so a cover has no benefit.

Yes, I have exactly that issue, and it arises for exactly that reason (i.e. while the plug is in the car and it rains). Still working though, though slightly disconcerting to see water seep out when I press the button.

Reactions: JS77
I had my TWC replaced under warranty due to water getting into the button. They also reimbursed the electrician fee, but I did have to move the unit into my garage. Note: that doesn't help with water in the button!
I believe the later Gen 3 has a thinner charge cable (max charge 7kw) that should be easier to curly up. And they now say "versatile indoor/outdoor design"
If you don't need a smart charger and you want easy charging without fafthing around then the TWC is just the job...

How have you found the EO? That's the one I was looking at before considering the TWC.

Thanks to everyone else for the replies, very helpful!
I have the original EO Mini Pro, which has now been replaced by a version 2. Mine's been fine, there was a weird issue where it wouldn't charge the model 3 when I was one of the first in the UK with the pair. The CTO of EO came out personally with a bunch of tools to diagnose the problem, impressive.

I've heard that the software on the v2 isn't as good, but obviously only 2nd hand.

I also would say that although it's cool being small, it doesn't have anywhere to wrap a cable, so I end up with a separate hook next to it, in heinsight I would say a device that the cable wraps around is a better design.

I have the EO Mini Pro 2 and I’ve no complaints - it’s small, looks decent and I’ve had no issues operationally.

I have a day/night tariff so I just use the ‘scheduled departure’ feature on the Model 3 itself so I just plug it in before I go to bed and it just determines when to start charging based on what the current battery % is and what I’ve asked it to charge to. Works well

2. Are the UK versions Gen 2 or Gen 3? I've read a lot of issues being reported with the new Gen 3's but most of those accounts are in the US

I ordered one a few weeks ago, it's Gen 3. Getting installed tomorrow, I need a PEN device and a sub-panel installing, so it's going to be £800 (on top of the charger) to get it all done - I've gone via a Tesla approved installer because they were the only one of the four electricians I contacted who actually responded to my query.

You might want to get some quotes and take it from there, TBH.