Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A quick update for those who are interested. I've had a quote for £1200 over the phone for a Zappi charger and an armoured cable run from the meter to the desired charge point location (approx. 20m-25m). The bulk of the cost is for the longer cable run and labour. This would come down if I went for a cheaper unit. I don't have solar and don't intend to get it at this house so I feel like the wider benefits of the Zappi wouldn't get seen. I'm leaning towards a Wallbox as it's quite small and relatively discrete.
I'm using the wallbox and its been fine for me the last few weeks i've had the car, Mine is just acting as a dumb charger as i have no need for other features, I just let the E.on app I have for cheap electric control when the car asks to be charged.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that before ... great idea for charge points that use CT clamps.
Example here:

Most installers I spoke to were aware of it, it’s more expensive than the usual SWA, but still cheaper and neater then also running an armoured cat5 or whatever for the CT clamp (not sure why they can’t just be wireless, I’ve had energy monitors which I assume do the same task, and they run wirelessly off an induced current from the supply).

Another use is to run data to smart “chargers” (I think we’re supposed to say EVSE, as the “charger” is in the car) if Wi-fi isn’t an option.

Example here:

Most installers I spoke to were aware of it, it’s more expensive than the usual SWA, but still cheaper and neater then also running an armoured cat5 or whatever for the CT clamp (not sure why they can’t just be wireless, I’ve had energy monitors which I assume do the same task, and they run wirelessly off an induced current from the supply).

Another use is to run data to smart “chargers” (I think we’re supposed to say EVSE, as the “charger” is in the car) if Wi-fi isn’t an option.

The Zappi charge point has a device (Harvi) that sends the CT clamp data via wireless. The drawback is that it depends on how far your charge point wireless hub is from your wireless "Harvi" and/or if there are signal obstructions ... the short story in my own situation is that it simply didn't work. The installers spent more time failing to get this to work than the entirety of the rest of the Zappi installation. You can't beat a cable in some situations!

I take it you will be claiming the £350 grant Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme: guidance for customers

All charge points deliver the same amount of AC to your car so you certainly don't have to buy at the more expensive end (Zappi or Andersen for example) unless they have features that you need/want. I have a Zappi but presently I just use it as a "dumb" charge point really and set the start time on the car. Some charge points do potentially make the installation easier because they incorporate some of the essential safety features in the box so your installer doesn't need to fit them externally. For example the Zappi takes care of the earthing requirements and the special RCD capabilities that might otherwise needed to be dealt with by your installer.
Yeah I'll be claiming the £350 grant. The quote reflects the grant having been applied.

I've had a 2nd quote for a wallbox from the same installer and it's down to £950 all in but he's only quoted for an additional 5m run of armoured that I've queried. I was expecting the additional run to be much longer.

I defo don't need the Zappi. I just need something that can detect load, allow me to schedule off peak charging only, and a nice to have would be an integration with my energy supplier (I plan to love to octopus soon).

Yeah I'll be claiming the £350 grant. The quote reflects the grant having been applied.

I've had a 2nd quote for a wallbox from the same installer and it's down to £950 all in but he's only quoted for an additional 5m run of armoured that I've queried. I was expecting the additional run to be much longer.

I defo don't need the Zappi. I just need something that can detect load, allow me to schedule off peak charging only, and a nice to have would be an integration with my energy supplier (I plan to love to octopus soon).
I have a Wallbox and use Octopus. The Wallbox does everything I need and the app is pretty straightforward and reliable. Can start/stop charging from the app (or the car or Tesla app of course) and can also schedule charging to fit with cheap tariffs. Presently, ours is set to only deliver charge during the low cost period (00.30 - 04.30) so we can plug in anytime knowing the charging doesn't start till the cheap rate begins. Can easily override this on the app and charge on demand as needed. Works just fine on my wife's ID.3 too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ProducedByKang
OK, so I've got a mixed bag of quotes back. I'm looking at around £1,100 all in for my install, this includes the £350 discount from the grant for a tethered Wallbox charge point.

It's £150 more than the cheapest quote I received but this company did the most due-diligence before providing me with a quote which given the somewhat unusual placement of my meter box and desired charge point location, put my mind at ease. Once I've got them booked in and the job is complete, I'll share my insights and possibly make a recommendation in the EV Installers thread.

Next steps - Switch energy provider!

I am loving this Tesla Forum so much… I am all over the place..

Ordered my Model 3 Long Range with delivery in November in Southampton.

Now exploring what do I need once it arrives so first one is Home Charger.

Would you be able to advise any good one in Southamton? I filtered out following three but not sure if they are good

1. Tesla Gen3 (But it doesn’t have OZEV grant)
2. Pod Point (7KW)
3. HI’ve (7.5KW) installed by British Gas. (I am with British Gas if that would make it better for me)

Thank you all for reading this.

I don't collect my M3LR until this Saturday so obviously haven't used the charger yet so can't recommend anything (apart from it looks proper stylish 😍) but I had my Tesla gen 3 installed last week by a local southampton company that I use all the time, nice quick tidy installation and all signed off for me 👌

I don't collect my M3LR until this Saturday so obviously haven't used the charger yet so can't recommend anything (apart from it looks proper stylish 😍) but I had my Tesla gen 3 installed last week by a local southampton company that I use all the time, nice quick tidy installation and all signed off for me 👌
Out of interest, what made you go with a gen 3? I was looking into the wallbox pulsar myself but I’ve seen the gen 3’s are popular here.

I am loving this Tesla Forum so much… I am all over the place..

Ordered my Model 3 Long Range with delivery in November in Southampton.

Now exploring what do I need once it arrives so first one is Home Charger.

Would you be able to advise any good one in Southamton? I filtered out following three but not sure if they are good

1. Tesla Gen3 (But it doesn’t have OZEV grant)
2. Pod Point (7KW)
3. HI’ve (7.5KW) installed by British Gas. (I am with British Gas if that would make it better for me)

Thank you all for reading this.
The Tesla chargers are really dumb. Need a lot of extra equipment fitted to bring them up to uk standards. Plus people dislike the heavy stiff cabl. People like zappi, pod-point and others which are safe without an earth rod and have charging schedules & can reduce power if whole house usage comes close to your fuse limit etc

they all charge at the same rate if fitted to a 32A single phase supply. They really just connect the mains supply and tell the car how much it can take. The real charger is in the car.

There’s no advantage getting it from the same company as your energy supply.

Reactions: NewbieT
I have had a few quotes direct and a few from the mainstream Utility companies, just started putting it into a table tonight, trying to figure out which would be best. Its a minefield!
1631736397250.png

I have had a few quotes direct and a few from the mainstream Utility companies, just started putting it into a table tonight, trying to figure out which would be best. Its a minefield!
View attachment 709709
Don't put this much effort into something like this. You're spending £40k+ on a car and working out how to save a few quid on a charge point?? Choose a charge point and place an order.
You’re over-thinking it
My thoughts exactly. It's not that deep.

Reactions: mikeyg_ev