Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're pretty lucky, DNO had to dig up my road and driveway! Took 12 weeks to complete from ordering my charge point.
ENW haven’t been very good with me. They sent out an engineer for a survey 2 1/2 months ago as we are looped and they need to give us a new supply. Nobody has since provided any information as to why I’m no closer now to getting it sorted than I was 3 1/2 months ago when I placed an order. They can’t even tell me whether they need another survey or not. All I know is that they don’t have a plan for the work yet.

The only good news is that they have said they are now going to allow the charging point to be fitted, as long as I use it at night only. It wouldn’t surprise me if they asked to cap the charging rate as well.

I've been told I need isolator switch fitted (Octopus will do this), meter tail upgrades (Octopus will do this) and then also get my main fuse changed by the DNO (SPEnergy) - still no line of sight as to when the actual charger will need done.
Have I just been unlucky or is this fairly typical that a whole slew of other things need done before you can get the actual charged fitted!
My house is from the 1930s, but all I needed was the main fuse upgrading from 60 to 100A, so I considered myself pretty lucky.

What sort of timelines and challenges have people experienced? Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, I'm just curious.

I figured this could be useful for anyone who thinks turnaround times between placing an order and going-live are short.

For my situation, I confirmed my order (Wallbox Pulsar Plus) a couple of weeks ago and my installer is being given the run around by the DNO. Apparently the new build estate I live on is managed/serviced by a "last mile DNO" who aren't the quickest at responding to any sort of query or request. Apparently the request for my install is in the queue at the DNO.

Thankfully I'm not in a huge rush to get installed as there are plenty of public charging stations around so I can make do in the short term, but I'd like to get the charge point installed at some point!

Called Northern Powergrid to get fuse upgraded from 60A to 80A. This was fitted a week later.

ChargedEV installed an EO Mini Pro about 10 days after the fuse upgrade.
I rang Weston Power to do that, they said the Charging company would check check with them to see if an upgrade was required.
Apparently according to the DNO my maximum usage was under <60 so wasn't required. So charge and run a house off Economy 7 with a 60A. 🤞

What sort of timelines and challenges have people experienced? Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, I'm just curious.

I figured this could be useful for anyone who thinks turnaround times between placing an order and going-live are short.

For my situation, I confirmed my order (Wallbox Pulsar Plus) a couple of weeks ago and my installer is being given the run around by the DNO. Apparently the new build estate I live on is managed/serviced by a "last mile DNO" who aren't the quickest at responding to any sort of query or request. Apparently the request for my install is in the queue at the DNO.

Thankfully I'm not in a huge rush to get installed as there are plenty of public charging stations around so I can make do in the short term, but I'd like to get the charge point installed at some point!

Not had any DNO issues or had to deal at all on our new build estate, but as timelines go I put in an application for a WallBox Pular Plus on 26th August through Octopus, coming out at £575. Got chased quite a lot by Octopus for the details they wanted, but promised they could get it installed by the 28th Sept (Car delivery). Once I added it all though, they just ghosted me. Took about 7 emails and 2 phone calls to eventually speak to someone last week and told they need me to pay the £575 before they agree a date but would be at minimum 2 weeks.

So binned them off, did another application with BumbleBee EV last week (14th Sept). They called me straight away asking for pictures of where I wanted it via WhatsApp. Price agreed same day and it was installed 2 days ago. Seamless, would definitely recommend Bumblebee if your installer is being funny.

Just to add to the comments above mine. The general rule seems to be there is no general rule. Some DNO's are swamped, some are on top of things. Just signs of what is to come really... I can't imagine what it's going to be like when EV charger demand is 10x what it is now.

Our DNO, SSEN, have to (because of the way the grant money is doled out by govt) use third party companies to go out and inspect/load test properties. They needn't have bothered with us, as ours is a new build and I had signed paperwork from authorised sparky that our 100amp fuse carrier did in fact contain a 100amp fuse but they did anyway. They made us wait nearly a month to send a third party out to pop the cover and say "yep" back to them. I then chased to ensure our approval was on the spreadsheet being sent to SSEN that week and it's been smooth since then. Can't fault our installers, they're great, but there's a whole lot of red tape and middle men getting in on the grant scheme as per govt.'s want. 🤷‍♂️

I think personally there is an issue here with the way the DNO's communicate with regulated installers, it all needs streamlining.

Octopus and ChargedEV are quoting 6 weeks at the moment.

Octopus and ChargedEV are quoting 6 weeks at the moment.
I think 6 weeks is about right at the moment. I think given the sheer volume of Tesla delivers this quarter, the DNOs up and down the UK must be pretty swamped with requests.
I think personally there is an issue here with the way the DNO's communicate with regulated installers, it all needs streamlining.
Completely agree. If the UK government want to hit their 2035 deadline, there's a lot more work to be done.

Reactions: Casss

Confirmed my order for a Hypervolt on 25th September, it's being installed on 4th October. So 7-9 days depending on how you're counting.

I've been running off the 3-pin adapter at home up until now and I'm really impressed. Charged my M3 from 14% to almost 75% in 10 hours the other day. Downside is my room downstairs that I've been running the cable through has been pretty chilly with the weather this week

• Funny
Reactions: ProducedByKang
I've been running off the 3-pin adapter at home up until now and I'm really impressed. Charged my M3 from 14% to almost 75% in 10 hours the other day. Downside is my room downstairs that I've been running the cable through has been pretty chilly with the weather this week
At 230V and 10A that should take a minimum of 19 hours. 😕

Do you have it connected to a 16A or 32A commando socket?

Confirmed my order for a Hypervolt on 25th September, it's being installed on 4th October. So 7-9 days depending on how you're counting.

I've collected my M3 today and will keep it topped up overnight. We only do 20 odd miles locally a day so until we have a proper charge point installed we'll make do

Found out Friday that the "last mile DNO" I mentioned in a previous post has a 60 day backlog of requests to work through! What an absolute piss take! FYI if you ever have to deal with Energy Asset Networks, I feel your pain.

The person I spoke to said he'd push the application for my install to the top of the list. I'm not holding my breath. Looks like I might be using the granny charger for longer than I was hoping to!