Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who already installed (particularly Hypervolt) what is you main incoming fuse rating?

My house is currently 60amp. I am told (Hypervolt installer) that the DNO require them to limit my 7KW charger to 3KW until the DNO upgrade me but I can't get an answer on what they will want me to be upgraded to (80amp or 100amp). And, I can't see how I can get this done before the charger is installed. All that said, it seems like my DNO (Scottish Power) has an80amp and the 100amp department and the 80amp looks more likely to do it sooner than the 100amp - will I ever need 100amp?

For those of you who already installed (particularly Hypervolt) what is you main incoming fuse rating?

My house is currently 60amp. I am told (Hypervolt installer) that the DNO require them to limit my 7KW charger to 3KW until the DNO upgrade me but I can't get an answer on what they will want me to be upgraded to (80amp or 100amp). And, I can't see how I can get this done before the charger is installed. All that said, it seems like my DNO (Scottish Power) has an80amp and the 100amp department and the 80amp looks more likely to do it sooner than the 100amp - will I ever need 100amp?
Funny, i just came off the phone to octopus that insisted I proved I had 100 amp incoming circuit. I ended up having to send photos. Turns out I have a THREE PHASE power thingmbob whatever that is.. I'm like ok I'll take your word for it. So they're processing the grant as I type. Probably hear from them after when the car arrives lol.

I'm not an electrician, but all my fuses around the house blow at 13 amp. I guess it's possible that all regular and taking into account spike usage, a 50 / 60 / 70 amp circuit is enough.. but if you got a chunky 79KWh battery sucking up juice it may be enough to push spikes over the main breaker.

I could be totally wrong, it's why I work to pay clever people than me to work this crap out lol

Funny, i just came off the phone to octopus that insisted I proved I had 100 amp incoming circuit. I ended up having to send photos. Turns out I have a THREE PHASE power thingmbob whatever that is.. I'm like ok I'll take your word for it. So they're processing the grant as I type. Probably hear from them after when the car arrives lol.
with 3 phase you can charge at 22kw, althought M3s are limited to 11kw (due to their onboard charger)

with 3 phase you can charge at 22kw, althought M3s are limited to 11kw (due to their onboard charger)
I genuinely get lost wrapping my head around all this stuff. The Wallbox charger I'm eyeballing only does 11kw from what i gather anyway. M3 is also limited. Maybe it helps if you wanted to chain charger points. But I'll just take what I'm given I guess. For the forseeable future the Mrs doesn't have any intention to upgrade to EV, but even if she does, two cars is manageable with one charger + granny if desperate.

3 phase is effectively 3 live cables and 1 neutral and earth. The 3 phases are out of phase of each other on the ac side.
So on 11kw you'd pull only approx 16amp per phase instead of 32amp on a single phase supply getting 7kw.
It keeps your supply more balanced as you are pulling equally on each phase, rather than loading up 1 on it's own to 32amp

I have 60A incoming fuse. Hypervolt installed in October last year prior to delivery of M3LR in November. I'm charging mostly between 00.30 and 04.30 on Octopus Go and no issues at all.
I know it will work off 60amp but one installer told me that he must install it with a limit of 4kn until the DNO upgrade me. Of course I don't want pay for a 7kw charger and be stuck on on 3kw. Question - will an upgrade to 80amp keep them happy?

I had my hypervolt installed just before Christmas, I have a 80 amp fuse and it was never mentioned by the installer, I haven't been able to get a decent ev tariff so stuck with British gas, I have charged at different times through the day, including teatime, early evening when cooker and shower is on and still charge at 7kw no problem

AnswerI know it will work off 60amp but one installer told me that he must install it with a limit of 4kn until the DNO upgrade me. Of course I don't want pay for a 7kw charger and be stuck on on 3kw. Question - will an upgrade to 80amp keep them happy?

Short answer is yes and it will likely just be a supply fuse upgrade and a 5 minute job. 80A is what the vast majority of homes end up with.

The charge point installer is meant to do a total load calculation, most things don't consume full load continuously and so the calculation factors that in. They ask if the heating is electric, how many electric showers in the house, etc. If you don't have a heat pump and several electric showers, you'll be fine.

For Victron Multiplus and GX device users, Victron have come out with what looks like an extremely useful EV charger.
Allowing control.of the device remotely through the GX device and reacting to solar production to allow the current to be automatically increased and decreased to the EV.
The only problem is the price. Its just on the market so all I can see is the list price of
£1438.50. Just a bit too expensive for me at the moment.