Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charger for model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What brand of home charger do you put for model 3 standard plus? I did some research online and talked to an electrician. I am still unclear about a few things. I understand that I need a 30 amp 240 v charger. What is difference between brands? I saw charge point, clipper creek, and Tesla. What should I get if only for model 3? What should I get if I am getting another EV in a few years, either Tesla Y or Leaf.

Tesla wall charger is sold out now. What is going on?

Appreciate any comments.

The car comes with a mobile charger so you don't need to buy anything. Just install your 240 Volt outlet and you will be fine. A wall connector is convenient if you want to spend the $500 on it but only the Long Range models have 48 amp on board chargers to take advantage of the higher potential charging rate on the wall connector. The SR will charge at 30 miles per hour on the mobile connector or the wall connector.

If you buy another EV down the road you may need something different but why waste money worrying about that now?

The SR+ can charge up to 32 amps at 240 volts. You can go with a brand other than Tesla, but you'll likely need to use the J1772 adapter that comes with the car to convert the end of the cable to the Tesla-shaped plug.

A lot of people on this forum also recommend having an electrician install a NEMA 14-50 outlet and using the mobile charger that comes with the car. Now, if this is a new purchase the mobile charging kit no longer includes the NEMA 14-50 adaptor, but it can be bought for like $35 from the Tesla shop. And if you don't drive too often, you can get by with the standard outlet adapter that comes with the mobile charger. For the first few weeks of ownership, we just plugged the Tesla into a standard 120 volt outlet and got about 5 miles of range per hour of charge.

Personally, I went with the Tesla Wall Connector for the looks and convenience (no need to use adapter, no need to pack up mobile connector if I'm going on a trip). But my state's EVSE rebate really tipped the scales on that one for me. We had the electrician put in a sub-panel in the carport, so if we ever need to change the Wall Connector for something else, it's a short run of conduit to the subpanel rather than another re-wiring through the whole house.

Last edited:
What brand of home charger do you put for model 3 standard plus? I did some research online and talked to an electrician. I am still unclear about a few things. I understand that I need a 30 amp 240 v charger. What is difference between brands? I saw charge point, clipper creek, and Tesla. What should I get if only for model 3? What should I get if I am getting another EV in a few years, either Tesla Y or Leaf.

Tesla wall charger is sold out now. What is going on?

Appreciate any comments.

You don't "need" a separate home charger. Just use the mobile connector that comes with the car, and then install your circuit according to the speed you wish to replenish your charge.

Review here: Mobile Connector

Reactions: TexasEV
Standard Range plus is limited to 32amp. To get the maximum charge rate you'd need either a Nema 14-50 or Nema 6-50 on a 50amp breaker.

Technically if you get deep into the weeds, you could put a 14-50 on a 40amp breaker and label it, but I'll let your electrician figure out all the code requirements for that.

The wall connector is in stock, but won't benefit you much, unless you know for a fact that you're getting another Tesla in a few years. Then if you had capacity in your electrical panel, you could put 2 wall connectors on a larger breaker and they would load share. Meaning you plug both cars in, and it uses whatever is available to charge them both, and the connectors "talk" to each other to balance the amperage. I only mention this now in case your electrician needs to run a thicker gauge cable.

Wall connector appears to be in stock for silver 24' Silver Wall Connector

Adapters for the mobile charger that comes with the car are here: and they're $35: Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Just have your electrician install a 240V outlet (ideally 14-50 or 14-30 if your house cannot take the 50A load), and you will be all set with the mobile charger that comes with the car. Also, these outlets should be flexible enough for any future needs in terms of other cars and will buy you more time if you decide for something more robust in the future.

Can't speak to the SR+ but with my Model 3 LR RWD I can charge at higher rates than the 32 amp mobile connector that came with the car allows. Don't know if the SR+ can do this or not? In my case I purchased a used Model S mobile connector for around $300 that stays plugged in to my 240V (50 amp breaker) 14-50 outlet and allows a max charge rate of 40amps. Not only can I charge at higher current than the stock 32amp mobile connector but that unit never leaves my car. On numerous road trips I have charged using the stock connector at 115Vac at some of the houses of friends and relatives. I find it nice to always have it in my car.

Can't speak to the SR+ but with my Model 3 LR RWD I can charge at higher rates than the 32 amp mobile connector that came with the car allows. Don't know if the SR+ can do this or not? In my case I purchased a used Model S mobile connector for around $300 that stays plugged in to my 240V (50 amp breaker) 14-50 outlet and allows a max charge rate of 40amps. Not only can I charge at higher current than the stock 32amp mobile connector but that unit never leaves my car. On numerous road trips I have charged using the stock connector at 115Vac at some of the houses of friends and relatives. I find it nice to always have it in my car.

Yeah, the SR+ on-board charger is limited to 32 amps. It cannot take advantage of anything greater than that.

To the OP, as a new EV owner it’s time to get the terminology down. You’re not looking for a home charger. The charger is in the car. Your choices are using the Universal Mobile CONNECTOR that comes with the car or hardwiring a Wall CONNECTOR. The connectors are what are technically known as EVSEs. That stands for Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment.

Other brands such as Clipper Creek, ChargePoint, etc will use the J1772 standard connector rather than the Tesla Connector. If you go with something other than one of Tesla’s EVSEs, and I see no reason to do so unless you also have another EV at home, then you will need to use the J1772 adapter which comes with the car.

My advice— have a 50A circuit installed with NEMA 14-50 outlet, plug in your UMC that comes with the car, and hang it in a hook on the wall. You don’t need to carry the UMC in the car unless you’re going on a long trip where you might plug in at someone’s house overnight. There are no charging emergencies around town in a 240-310 mile EV that some new EV owners here are so concerned about.

Have you explored the Tesla Home Charging website?
Home Charging Installation

• Informative
Reactions: MaryAnning3