Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charger Issue - Home is on Looped connection (shared supply)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

Last year I purchase a Model 3 SR+ (November 2019) and near the time of delivery I had a PodPoint engineer come out to install but was told at the time that they could not install as I'm on a shared/looped connection (meaning a power cable goes from the street to my home and then directly from my home to my neighbours house). Therefore they needed to get permission from DNO or de-loop (potentially costs tens of thousands).

At the time i decided to return the Model 3 as I didn't want to be stuck with charging of regular home sockets and wasn't sure if DNO would give permission or not.

Anyway, I'm now in a position to order again as I need to upgrade from my existing car as its on its last legs (12 year old Audi A3). I have no doubt that this is the car for me and if I have to live on the mains, then i'll just have to make it work.

So my question is, is there anyone out there who also ran into this issue or knows much about it? As I was doing a bit of research and it was mentioned I could go down the route of getting a commando socket 16a or 32a. Not sure if I can go down this route without having to get permission from DNO. I will obviously start enquiring with local electricians, but was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice from here.

Many thanks.

Welcome to the loop club!

I'm in the process of removing my loop so I can get my podpoint installed.

I spoke to my DNO which is Northern Powergrid and they have come out to assess the situation, the power comes into my house and loops next door. Northern powergrid have accepted that the loop should be removed for me to have a car charger and they are covering the cost of the de-loop even though it's my neighbour who is getting the new main line power, there was a slight sticking point that the house we share the loop with is a council tenant so we've had to go through going via the housing association, but if it's all good we'll have a de-loop in about 3-4 weeks (was quoted 5 weeks from assessment to de-loop) then podpoint will come and do the install. All in all a good outcome!

Reactions: Mikeoneuk85
Thanks for the info @fancealot I might try podpoint again in that case.

In terms of de-looping, is it correct that they dig up your driveway to de-loop and also neighbours? If so, did your neighbour mind?

Many thanks,
We are lucky really because where the main runs is right through a grass partition between our pathways and the drives are at opposite sides of the house. Most works tend to return to as it was so when it gets done they will re-seed the grass but not turf it, our boxes are side by side too which helps our neighbour was ok about it but they are a council tenant so it’s the housing authority who have to sign it off in the end