Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

home charger keeps kicking off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 S that keeps kicking off the home charger but not tripping the breaker. It charges for a random amount of time but I noticed the charging stops. This has happened about five times today. It has gone from 100 miles to 155 miles during these attempts. I thought it might be the smart ev.energy app on my phone so I removed that. It has charged perfectly from home until this. Will try to reset the system with the two spots on the steering wheel but does anyone else have a suggestion?

Is it a wall connector or a mobile connector? What amp circuit is it on? How many amps does the car claim to be pulling? Does the voltage drop as the amps go up?

The car might be detecting voltage sag as it builds up the amp draw and disabling charging in order to prevent a bigger problem. But there should be an alert on the screen if that's the case.

I have a 14-50 Nema wall outlet on a 40A GFCI breaker. I don't charge over 30A. Initially (six months ago) the breaker would trip occasionally if I tried to charge at 40A. When this happened today I dropped in to 20A but it still would stop charging.

I have a 14-50 Nema wall outlet on a 40A GFCI breaker. I don't charge over 30A. Initially (six months ago) the breaker would trip occasionally if I tried to charge at 40A. When this happened today I dropped in to 20A but it still would stop charging.
You probably have a bad connection either at the breaker ( esp if breaker is a GFCI) or more likely, the wall outlet, esp if you plug in regularly.

The MC is detecting a voltage drop probably. Do you see less than 220v in the car when charging?

I believe it shows 228v but will check. I do not unplug my cable. So a couple options to determine if its the car or my electric, I can try 110v trickle or take to a remote charging station and see if that helps. I did reset the display and downloaded 44.30.8 tonight. I will play with a lesser amperage (say 15a) and see if that still triggers the shutdown. Will update after next charge attempt. FYI the 40A breaker is NOT tripping and does not appear to be the problem.

I'm by no means an authority on the subject, but voltage sag is definitely an issue on high current applications like charging an EV. The circuit should be (near) 240v and the car expects it to be 240v and if it's much below that the car will logically reduce the amount of current it is drawing in hopes of stabilizing and raising the voltage. 228v on a 240v circuit seems really low to me. I feel like I've seen on this forum more information about how the car handles voltage sag but I can't find it right now.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I'm by no means an authority on the subject, but voltage sag is definitely an issue on high current applications like charging an EV. The circuit should be (near) 240v and the car expects it to be 240v and if it's much below that the car will logically reduce the amount of current it is drawing in hopes of stabilizing and raising the voltage. 228v on a 240v circuit seems really low to me. I feel like I've seen on this forum more information about how the car handles voltage sag but I can't find it right now.
I still charge as low as 208 at one destination charger.

Possibly the MC is detecting high heat caused by high resistance somewhere in the supply.

I'd check the torque on the CB wire connections and also the wire condition and type (6 Ga) min as well as outlet condition.

If the MC blinks red it means a code which is explained by the MC manual.

I still charge as low as 208 at one destination charger.
208v is a nominal supply voltage, usually found in commercial buildings served with 3 phase power. So that’s not really comparable.

It could be voltage sag, but I don’t think so. Usually that results in the car backing off the current by 25%, sometimes more than once, but it generally doesn’t stop charging completely.

Tried it at 15a on level 2 and it tripped after 10 minutes or so. Switched to 110 volt and the same thing happened. But I did notice the adapter attachment from 220 to 110/220 was not a firm connection... appeared very loose. Perhaps I'll use some needle nose nose pliers and ever so slightly bend those contacts a little to achieve a firmer contact. Before I do that I might borrow another charging cable and try that to see what happens.

Update- Tried a different level 2 charging cable and the same thing happens, it charges for about 5 minutes and then shuts off. I've never gotten any error message on the car. I don't think it's GFCI related since I tried 110v (no GFCI) and got the same response. Tried different amperages no luck. Latest software update still the same. I'm thinking it's somehow tied to the onboard charger which if it is a complete replacement can be quite pricey (no warranty). I appreciate all the input, if you have any other suggestions I'd welcome it.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Interesting development? Left the car plugged in overnight and it charged fully from 125 miles to 164 miles (80%) from 3am to 6am!? But I've yet to schedule any charges (either in the car or iphone). Thinking that the car or app did it due to some preset settings?? Anyway not sure if it kicked off then back on or only one continuous charge, but it did stop at my preset (164). Your thoughts?

Both the app and the car control charging settings keep changing on my car. I have the car charging set for 40A and to start at 2:30A and end at 311 miles charge. When I look at the app, sometimes it has the power settings at 24A and will not let me move it up to 40A. Also the charge limit seems to change in the app from the car. Occasionally, the car will show 48A charge rate. It is Tesla software, so I expect these unpredictable results now.

If it’s dropping from 48a to 24a that would be a typical sign of voltage drop and the car is reducing the load. In those cases, it will not allow the amps to be increased until charging has been stopped first.
It is not charging. It is just the App display is off in this instance. When I look in the car, it usually shows my set 40A when the phone shows 24A. The car charges at 40A in this scenario. The phone will only allow me to decrease the Amps. Also, as I said, sometimes the car will display 48A, which is what my Wall Connector can supply, even though I have it set to 40A. Crazy, unexplained, and unpredictable -- Tesla!

It is not charging. It is just the App display is off in this instance. When I look in the car, it usually shows my set 40A when the phone shows 24A. The car charges at 40A in this scenario. The phone will only allow me to decrease the Amps. Also, as I said, sometimes the car will display 48A, which is what my Wall Connector can supply, even though I have it set to 40A. Crazy, unexplained, and unpredictable -- Tesla!
What year and particular model are you trying to charge? I have had my 2017 100D causing a random over current situation resulting in the connector going into an error state and quit charging. It has done it on 4 different wall connectors on two different circuits one circuit hardwired and the other a NEMA 14-50 outlet. My model 3 doesn't do that.

Mine has been doing this too, same behavior. As soon as the car starts charging the app realizes more amperage is available and allows it to kick up to 40 or whatever you expect.

I attribute it to an app bug or some other inconsequential issue.