Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charger options

Is a dedicated home EVSE required

• Yes: Must be Tesla high power wall

Votes: 21 17.1%
  • Yes: Can be any reputable EVSE device

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • Yes: Mount a second mobile connector to the wall with a NEMA 1450 outlet

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • No: Use the mobile connector and a NEMA 1450 outlet

Votes: 60 48.8%
  • No: just plug into household outlet

Votes: 10 8.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Is it worth it go the cheapo route??
I'm not sure if it is cheapo I am wondering still if it better to get a second charger to mount in the house. That way there is always a charger in the house, and in the car. My worry would be getting stuck at work due to snow storm forgot the charger and have to plug in the parking garage overnight while I await the plows.

Reactions: rxlawdude
I'm not sure if it is cheapo I am wondering still if it better to get a second charger to mount in the house. That way there is always a charger in the house, and in the car. My worry would be getting stuck at work due to snow storm forgot the charger and have to plug in the parking garage overnight while I await the plows.

I have a similar worry. Right now I think I am opting to get the 14-50 outlet setup. But part of me wonders if just paying the $500 for the wall adapter makes sense for the convenience of having the mobile charger in the car. Also the mobile charger costs $520 from Tesla to get a second one.

I have a similar worry. Right now I think I am opting to get the 14-50 outlet setup. But part of me wonders if just paying the $500 for the wall adapter makes sense for the convenience of having the mobile charger in the car. Also the mobile charger costs $520 from Tesla to get a second one.

Just a heads up, the mobile connector cable that comes with your Tesla is actually $275 for a second one (or replacement).

Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle

The $520 connector you were looking at is the Corded NEMA 14-50 connector.

Reactions: ReggaeDragon
Just my 2 cents....

You guys are buying a $60k car...why not just pay the $500 and get 44m charge per hour and relieve some anxiety? I mean...so many folks here are complaining about range they are getting but not willing to spend the $500 for Gen 3 that will provide OTA updates and firmware? Who knows what Elon has in store with an OTA update to the Gen 3’s? Gen 2 is more powerful but since the vehicles no longer take more than 48a, the $25 savings is not worth since Gen 3 is nicer looking and the WiFi.

Reactions: empiredown
Just my 2 cents....

You guys are buying a $60k car...why not just pay the $500 and get 44m charge per hour and relieve some anxiety? I mean...so many folks here are complaining about range they are getting but not willing to spend the $500 for Gen 3 that will provide OTA updates and firmware? Who knows what Elon has in store with an OTA update to the Gen 3’s? Gen 2 is more powerful but since the vehicles no longer take more than 48a, the $25 savings is not worth since Gen 3 is nicer looking and the WiFi.
I have 5 EVSE’s...2 of the 5 I used for years charging the Nissan Leaf & Chevy Volt, why do I need to fork out another 538.00 plus 300.00 for the install, One is a Bosch which works well at 30 amps and 30 miles per hour and the other one is a 40 amp open source, the Tesla Wall Charger and 2 portable one that sits in the trunk. No rush charging at 44 miles per hour when the car is sitting for 8 hours, that’s my 1 cents.

That Bosch EVSE cost me $824.00 back in 2013, it’s not about the money, it’s about how many do you really need to have.

Fred

Last edited:
Reactions: Klau2
it’s about how many do you really need to have.

gen-3-wall-connector.jpg

It works like a charm on both the gen3 HPWC and the UMC. Haven't had any trouble with it so far and the reviews on amazon speak for themselves.
Sure, we could've bought a dedicated charger for her Bolt, but I had an extra UMC sitting idle anyways. $269.99 CDN for the adapter seemed more reasonable than like $800+ for a wall box.

Reactions: everydaychris
028E3020-39AF-48CA-BEB6-0820BAF23AF1.jpeg
I have a gen3 Tesla HPWC. My daughter has a Prius Plug In. Is there an adapter that can be put on the Tesla HPWC to let you use it on non Tesla vehicles? Mine is hard-wired to the 60A circuit.
Yes, I have one, it’s called TeslaTap, will look it up for you and post a picture of mine if I can find it

Fred

Last edited:
What's your view on this charger for home? 64A Level 2 EVSE HCS-80 Hardwired | ClipperCreek

Good or overkill?

I heard clipper creek is super reliable but chargepoint has their new one that has all these cool features

It is overkill for today, who knows about the future. IMO not much is gained going from a 48 amp EVSE to a 64. I do like the Ruggedarized models. I would more likely spend the extra money on that vs the extra amperage

Reactions: everydaychris