Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charger options

Is a dedicated home EVSE required

• Yes: Must be Tesla high power wall

Votes: 21 17.1%
  • Yes: Can be any reputable EVSE device

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • Yes: Mount a second mobile connector to the wall with a NEMA 1450 outlet

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • No: Use the mobile connector and a NEMA 1450 outlet

Votes: 60 48.8%
  • No: just plug into household outlet

Votes: 10 8.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks.
Waiting for my delivery TXT or Email or what have you and I have been thinking about charging.
Is it really needed to have a Tesla wall charger or even something like the Juicebox or Clipper Creek EVSE devices in the house? Would a second mobile connector, like the one that comes with the car, mounted to the wall and a NEMA 1450 adapter plug be reasonable?

As an aside, is it just my lack of familiarity with the process that makes the delivery process seem weird and not very customer friendly? No answer on phone or return calls to messages, no replies to email. This is before we were all in social isolation mind you.

Thanks for the help

It depend about your daily mileage. In my case I have a 65 miles one way commute.
I charge at home at off peak hours at 30 A (24 A nominal) using the portable charger included with the car.

I would only consider installing a wall charger if I had two cars to charge, so I could share the load
using two Tesla wall chargers at the same time.

Reactions: EchoDelta
You need another option, use another type of outlet, like a NEMA 14-30 (Typical Dryer outlet). That's what I am doing, just bought another mobile charger and a NEMA 14-30 adapter.. Total cost about 300 bucks and utilizing what I have already. Will provide ~22MPH which is more then enough as I could recharge the whole battery pretty much overnight. No need for more imo. That said, if you don't have any existing outlets etc and you do want faster charging, might as well just get a 14-50 installed if your paying for it anyways.

Another note, just like any rechargeable battery, charging at a slower rate is actually better for longevity. Using things like Superchargers while great when traveling, pushing that much power all the time can degrade the battery faster, so actually kind of happy to have a slightly slower rate.

Reactions: Watts_Up
If the 14-30 provides 22mph, how much more does the 14-50 provide?

Check out the chart on this page from Tesla, its 30MPH.. not really worth it if you already have a 14-30 like I said. Essentially will get you a full charge about 3-4 hours quicker. ~10.5 hours for the 14-50 and ~14 hours for the 14-30. If you drive 200+ miles a day then thats when I would get a 14-50 charger.

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Reactions: beezy and PDACPA
Hey folks.
Would a second mobile connector, like the one that comes with the car, mounted to the wall and a NEMA 1450 adapter plug be reasonable?
Thanks for the help

In a word, "yes", the 14-50 is a reasonable option compared to the Wall Charger. 14-50 give 30 mph (model 3) while the Wall Charger does 44 mph.

If you already have a 14-50 outlet, then that makes it a cost-effective option. If you do not already have a 220V outlet, and are going to have to run a new 50-60A line from your electrical box, then the choice gets trickier. If you think you are committed to Tesla EVs then Wall Charger is the way to go. If you want to leave options open for other EVs, then choose NEMA 14-50

I use a wall adapter with 6-50 outlet. It should provide the same power as a 14-50. I get 35mph at 32 amps. I use it to charge our SR+ Model 3 which is capped at 32 amps regardless of what type of charger you use (apart from DC fast charging like a supercharger).

When I get a Model Y next year, I'll install a HPWC (Tesla Wall Charger) so I can take advantage of higher charging MPH. With the circuit I installed for the portable wall adapter, I can up the amperage to 40amps and the Model Y will be able to charge at that rate. I expect to get 40mph+ at this amperage based on 35mph at 32A

The link and mph (30mph) discussed above reference the Tesla mobile connector charging at 32 amps. If you use the 14-50 outlet with a charger that can provide power up to 40amps, such as the JuiceBox, you should get a max charge rate of closer to 40mph.

The link and mph (30mph) discussed above reference the Tesla mobile connector charging at 32 amps. If you use the 14-50 outlet with a charger that can provide power up to 40amps, such as the JuiceBox, you should get a max charge rate of closer to 40mph.

Thanks for clarifying that point, that chart was for the mobile charger only with the adapters Tesla sells.

Oh good to know for tax time next year :) Does that include install costs and cost of equipment?

As far as I've seen (when people filed this year for last years installs) they were putting the total that included everything, yes. There wasn't anything itemized that was needed, I guess the IRS could dig deeper if they wanted but doubtful. Others advised if you were getting say a 14-50 outlet installed to have the installer make sure to note EV charger on the invoice in any rare case you need to show it.

It as aforementioned depends on your daily drive. Drive less than 30 miles (most people) heck a NEMA 6-20 can do (~14 miles). Drive a little more? 6-30/14-30 will better (~22 miles). Only go full 6-50/14-50 if you drive like more than 100 miles/day IMO have the capacity IMO (though it's nice to charge fast) . The wiring will be the biggest upcharge. You'll need #12 AWG min for 20 amps, #10 for 30 amps, #6 for 50 amps. Prices go up quick on wire size.

Thank you all for the info. Sounds like the mobile connector to a 14-50 outlet is the best option at this time. I am trying to keep my options agnostic in an attempt to future proof, so the Tesla wall charger seemed to lock me into the ecosystem, like buying a mac. (which I have) The other stand alone EVSE are all fairly expensive. I have to have the outlet run into the garage anyway so might be more cost effective to just have the outlet put in.

Reactions: Electric Steve
Yes, but my point was that Tesla underestimates the charging. At 32A with the included mobile connector, I can get 35mph not the 30 listed on their site.

Yes, but my point was that Tesla underestimates the charging. At 32A with the included mobile connector, I can get 35mph not the 30 listed on their site.

Fair enough - I wasn't disagreeing with you, merely stating that the charge rate would be quicker at 40amps than at 32amps. It just looked like that point was getting lost in the earlier discussion since the OP had also asked about other solutions (JuiceBox and Clipper Creek) and not all can utilize a full 40amps.