Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charger options

Is a dedicated home EVSE required

• Yes: Must be Tesla high power wall

Votes: 21 17.1%
  • Yes: Can be any reputable EVSE device

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • Yes: Mount a second mobile connector to the wall with a NEMA 1450 outlet

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • No: Use the mobile connector and a NEMA 1450 outlet

Votes: 60 48.8%
  • No: just plug into household outlet

Votes: 10 8.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just my 2 cents....

You guys are buying a $60k car...why not just pay the $500 and get 44m charge per hour and relieve some anxiety? I mean...so many folks here are complaining about range they are getting but not willing to spend the $500 for Gen 3 that will provide OTA updates and firmware? Who knows what Elon has in store with an OTA update to the Gen 3’s? Gen 2 is more powerful but since the vehicles no longer take more than 48a, the $25 savings is not worth since Gen 3 is nicer looking and the WiFi.
I'm trying to be hardware agnostic. Right now the Tesla is the car to get, but in 5 years, 10 years? Having an standard j1772, CCS or something less proprietary is what I'm thinking of. What happens when my wife gets an EV or the kids? Trying to not be locked into an ecosystem. Now I do own a Kindle reader and iOS devices and several Macs. Yes the hypocrisy is not lost on me... :)

Re: the Chargepoint Flex. If you connect the J1772 adaptor to it to charge the model Y, can it still fit in the holster or do you have to put on and off every time?
It doesn't fit unless you take off the adapter. I actually has a hook to hang it.
1591829023145500323822840167548.jpg

It doesn't fit unless you take off the adapter. I actually has a hook to hang it.
View attachment 550172

Having gotten my MS two weeks ago, I'm also in the thick of finalizing my charging solution. Unfortunately for me, I don't have a garage to work with, just a driveway, so everything will be outdoors. I've gotten three estimates for hardwiring a ChargePoint Home Flex; I'd say the "normal" price here in MD near DC is probably about $1200, not counting the EVSE. (We have to run wire across the width of the house, through a brick wall, and enclose it in conduit half way up the driveway.)

Here, I'll get an energy company rebate of $300 for the EVSE (about 50% of the cost), and I'll take the federal credit when the time comes. There's a MD credit for the whole installation, but the funds are currently depleted (don't know if they'll be replenished).

Right now, I'm planning on going with that EVSE installation (rather than trickle charge), partly because it's got to be outdoors (so a second dryer outlet isn't really convenient or useful for anything else) and--though my commute isn't all that long--I prefer having more flexibility than the trickle charging would allow. FWIW, I'm picking the ChargePoint partly because there's a rebate for it here (not for the Tesla EVSE) and because it's got a 23 ft cable, which gives me some needed flexibility in a three car driveway.

Congrats and good luck!

Todd

Having gotten my MS two weeks ago, I'm also in the thick of finalizing my charging solution. Unfortunately for me, I don't have a garage to work with, just a driveway, so everything will be outdoors. I've gotten three estimates for hardwiring a ChargePoint Home Flex; I'd say the "normal" price here in MD near DC is probably about $1200, not counting the EVSE. (We have to run wire across the width of the house, through a brick wall, and enclose it in conduit half way up the driveway.)

Here, I'll get an energy company rebate of $300 for the EVSE (about 50% of the cost), and I'll take the federal credit when the time comes. There's a MD credit for the whole installation, but the funds are currently depleted (don't know if they'll be replenished).

Right now, I'm planning on going with that EVSE installation (rather than trickle charge), partly because it's got to be outdoors (so a second dryer outlet isn't really convenient or useful for anything else) and--though my commute isn't all that long--I prefer having more flexibility than the trickle charging would allow. FWIW, I'm picking the ChargePoint partly because there's a rebate for it here (not for the Tesla EVSE) and because it's got a 23 ft cable, which gives me some needed flexibility in a three car driveway.

Congrats and good luck!

Todd
I'm in Maryland too. I used Have Power. Little expensive, but does a very good job. Don't forget the Maryland rebate is not just for installation, but for the charger also. I choose the charge point because it's one of the few that pepco gives rebate too. Ended up almost free after pepco and Maryland rebate.

"I think the $275 connector is a joke:
  • Max power output of 1.3kW
  • Charging speeds between 2-3 miles of range per hour"
Not with a $35 14-50 plug - 30 miles per hour.
It sure isn't clear on the website for that, but I agree that with the optional NEMA adapters, it should do that. But they should not say "Max power output of 1.3kW" on the Gen 2 Mobile connector. A smarter statement would be Max power output of 7kW with optional NEMA 14-50 adapter.
It's also weird that for $275 + $35 for a NEMA 14-50 adapter, you get exactly the same functionality as the $520 Corded Mobile Connector. It's unclear if the latter is 32A or 40A, but it makes no sense to sell both.

Reactions: UncleCreepy
It sure isn't clear on the website for that, but I agree that with the optional NEMA adapters, it should do that. But they should not say "Max power output of 1.3kW" on the Gen 2 Mobile connector. A smarter statement would be Max power output of 7kW with optional NEMA 14-50 adapter.
It's also weird that for $275 + $35 for a NEMA 14-50 adapter, you get exactly the same functionality as the $520 Corded Mobile Connector. It's unclear if the latter is 32A or 40A, but it makes no sense to sell both.

The one I linked for $275 is the exact same one that comes with the car. I assume the hard wired 14-50 version that you linked for $520 can maybe achieve slightly faster speeds since there is no need for an adapter. Definitely not worth the extra cost though. I agree, it makes no sense for them to be selling that model anymore.

I'm in Maryland too. I used Have Power. Little expensive, but does a very good job. Don't forget the Maryland rebate is not just for installation, but for the charger also. I choose the charge point because it's one of the few that pepco gives rebate too. Ended up almost free after pepco and Maryland rebate.

Yes! Planning on using all the rebates and credits that I can. Unfortunately, the MD credit has no more funds, and I’m pessimistic given the current economic situation that it will be replenished soon. But we’ll see!

Yes! Planning on using all the rebates and credits that I can. Unfortunately, the MD credit has no more funds, and I’m pessimistic given the current economic situation that it will be replenished soon. But we’ll see!

During one of the early Covid briefs, Gov Hogan said that state revenues were way down, there were a stack of bills on his desk to sign, and he wasn't signing any that cost money right now. Still hoping the $3k excise tax refund gets funded, but not very optimistic. While I'd like the money, I'm glad Hogan is trying to be fiscally responsible.

Reactions: TigerNinety
Hey folks.
Waiting for my delivery TXT or Email or what have you and I have been thinking about charging.
Is it really needed to have a Tesla wall charger or even something like the Juicebox or Clipper Creek EVSE devices in the house? Would a second mobile connector, like the one that comes with the car, mounted to the wall and a NEMA 1450 adapter plug be reasonable?

As an aside, is it just my lack of familiarity with the process that makes the delivery process seem weird and not very customer friendly? No answer on phone or return calls to messages, no replies to email. This is before we were all in social isolation mind you.

Thanks for the help
Have a reputable electrician install a NEMA 14/50 (dryer) outlet. We had that installed. Charges @ 30mph. I drive 140 miles a day to and from work. Charges in 5-6 hours

Reactions: rxlawdude
Think the table is all underestimated so if folks have lower voltage or the like and get a lower rate than normal they don't complain because it is still chart rate or better.

Utilities in can deliver 10% under rated voltage and not have to correct it, many of us actually get a little over 240.