Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charger options

Is a dedicated home EVSE required

• Yes: Must be Tesla high power wall

Votes: 21 17.1%
  • Yes: Can be any reputable EVSE device

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • Yes: Mount a second mobile connector to the wall with a NEMA 1450 outlet

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • No: Use the mobile connector and a NEMA 1450 outlet

Votes: 60 48.8%
  • No: just plug into household outlet

Votes: 10 8.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going down this rabbit hole and getting frustrated. I wish there was a reputable source, like Consumer Reports that has ratings on these to say that X, Y and Z and all reputable and useable whereas A, B and C not so much. It looks like the NEMA 14-50 plug with the mobile connector is a good choice but is $520 and this seems pricey to me; the HP Wall connector is about the same price but hard wired only, limiting future use to Tesla only. I'm going nuts.

I'm going down this rabbit hole and getting frustrated. I wish there was a reputable source, like Consumer Reports that has ratings on these to say that X, Y and Z and all reputable and useable whereas A, B and C not so much. It looks like the NEMA 14-50 plug with the mobile connector is a good choice but is $520 and this seems pricey to me; the HP Wall connector is about the same price but hard wired only, limiting future use to Tesla only. I'm going nuts.

Mobile connector is $275 Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle

14-50 adapter is $35

• Helpful
Reactions: BobbyD1
You are looking at the 40amp version as DDrawer said the standard UMC is much cheaper.

I wasn't recommending a solution. Just correcting the person who listed the old corded 14-50 mobile connector for $520. The UMC with interchangeable adapters is actually $275.

I plan on just using the UMC that comes with my car as my charging solution. If I wasn't renting, I would install the Tesla HPWC.

Does anyone know what has happened to Tesla's Wall Connector with a NEMA 14-50 plug? I can't find it on their website. Am I missing something?

Tesla launches new Wall Connector with NEMA 14-50 plug - Electrek

tesla-nema.png

I think using a Tesla charger with a Tesla auto has its advantages but it is by no means the only option. I think this is all dependent on someone's situation. I added the Tesla Gen 3 charger and a Nema 14-50 outlet while I was at it. Planning for the future if we get a second car that needs charging and since I'm planning to retire and move in about 5 years it is a good selling point for the house to have charge points for two cars in the garage. Everyone's situation is different. Adding this type of stuff is not cheap, especially if you had to do like I did and add a new subpanel because the idiot that redid my main panel years ago didn't listen to me and put in some spare slots. In my case this is overkill because I have a very short commute and probably could get by with the charger that comes with the car and plugging it into a 220 outlet but there weren't any in the garage and since I had to pull wire for one I might as well do both.

Think the table is all underestimated so if folks have lower voltage or the like and get a lower rate than normal they don't complain because it is still chart rate or better.

Utilities in can deliver 10% under rated voltage and not have to correct it, many of us actually get a little over 240.
So I installed chargepoint flex and love it so far. Full outside install, getting 38A. $700 with new breaker

Reactions: iamnid
Reactions: Ba2yev
I bought the adapter yesterday and will likely guy a second mobile connector. That's the plan in my head as of this moment. Does the mobile connector automatically begin charging upon plugging in or can it be scheduled?
The car controls the scheduled charging, haven't played w the it but it might be GPS location tied like amperage is, and supercharging starts immediately not scheduled.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jeff Wa
If it’s known that supercharging is bad for battery life, would it be better to install a home charger that is a NEMA 14-30 instead of 14-50? If that isn’t the right numbers, I just mean a slower charger at home than a 14-50. I know a 14-50 is slower than a supercharger.