Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charger options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I am a proud reservation holder for the Model 3, and am interested in getting the home charging station tax credit that expires at the end of 2016. I could just install a Tesla charger, but want to look at alternatives, as if I have a friend over with another car that is not a Tesla, maybe they will want to charge with J1772. Plus, looks like there is a adapter so you can charge Teslas with a J1772, but not the other way around. What are people using to charge? I like the idea of a connected charger like the wifi 40A Juicebox, but it's not UL listed, which I am not 100% thrilled about. What are people using to charge if they are not using the Tesla charger? Any suggestions? Also, maybe this is more appropriate for the Model S forum, but its a question about what to get for a Model 3, so I am putting it here!

Here's a link to the Juicebox I am talking about: Amazon.com: JuiceBox Pro 40A WiFi-equipped Plug-in Electric Vehicle Charger / Charging Station with 24-foot cable and NEMA 14-50 plug: Electric Motor Werks, Inc.

Reactions: navguy12
I bought the GE EV Charger for my Leaf a couple years ago, works fine, nothing fancy and certainly not quick but works great for an overnight charge. Imagine I'll stick with it once the M3 appears....

The Tesla charger comes with the Model 3. Why would you want to pay extra?

I think he's referring to a wall charger, in which case the Tesla HPWC is not included.

You really don't need a wall charger with a Tesla. A regular dryer plug is enough for home charging. I spent a lot of time researching chargers before we bought our S only to be told that it wasn't necessary.

Reactions: CarlitoDoc
I think you'll find you won't need the wall charger. My advice is to wait until you're about to receive your Model 3 and then have an electrician install a 240 volt (50 amp) outlet. The 240 outlet doesn't charge as quickly as the Tesla wall charger but it charges fast enough. I've had my Model S for 3.5 years and have never needed a faster charging setup at home. Further, I set the amperage well below the maximum capable on the 240 to charge more slowly. Other Model S owners can weigh in here but I believe the majority of Model S owners have gone 240 rather than the Tesla wall charger. Save your cash for the fancy options!

Last edited:
It's definitely fast enough. My commute is 190 miles, I am usually rolling in with about 16% charge. I plug it in when I get home to charge overnight - It takes about 4.5 hours to charge to 90%. I'm not even exactly sure because it doesn't matter since it's fully charged in the morning.

I agree - save the money on options! Does your tax credit ONLY apply to wall chargers, or wall chargers and electrician cost, or would they subsidize the cost of the electrician just to install a 220v outlet?

I think you'll find you won't need the wall charger. My advice is to wait until you're about to receive your Model 3 and then have an electrician install a 240 volt (50 amp) outlet. The 240 outlet doesn't charge as quickly as the Tesla wall charger but it charges fast enough. I've had my Model S for 3.5 years and have never needed a faster charging setup at home. Further, I set the amperage well below the maximum capable on the 240 to charge more slowly. Other Model S owners can weigh in here but I believe the majority of Model S owners have gone 240 rather than the Tesla wall charger. Save your cash for the fancy options!

Correct. The HPWC's advantages are:

1. Longer cable.

2. Hardwired (one less connection to have problems with).

3. Cable is heavier (less resistance) than the UMC's cable.

4. Potentially faster charging. Potentially means that to get the full charging rate a 100 amp circuit is required. This often means an expensive panel change and possibly service change as well. There are dip switches to lower the maximum rate so that a panel change isn't required, but then you don't get the full rate. This usually isn't an issue for normal charging but if you want to PlugShare it's suboptimal.

I use the UMC, and the cable length is the main disadvantage for me. (Can't park and charge in both possible parking locations.)

Correct. The HPWC's advantages are:

1. Longer cable.

2. Hardwired (one less connection to have problems with).

3. Cable is heavier (less resistance) than the UMC's cable.

4. Potentially faster charging. Potentially means that to get the full charging rate a 100 amp circuit is required. This often means an expensive panel change and possibly service change as well. There are dip switches to lower the maximum rate so that a panel change isn't required, but then you don't get the full rate. This usually isn't an issue for normal charging but if you want to PlugShare it's suboptimal.

I use the UMC, and the cable length is the main disadvantage for me. (Can't park and charge in both possible parking locations.)
T

I'm using the wall charger as a base line to plan for the "snake" charger. Depending on the reasoning for trying to get a tax credit now, it may be fun to wait and see what is announced over the next 18 months before deliveries start.

The HPWC is also a good solution when your electrical service is inadequate. We have 70 amp disconnect main box and our load calculation limited us to the installation of circuit with a 40 amp disconnect which results in 32 amps continuous, at 240 volts of course. Should our service ever be upgraded to say 200 amps, everything is in place and the dip switches in the HPWC can be changed to a higher amperage.

If you are looking to get a EVSE ("wall charger"), that can charge multiple types of EVs, I recommend Clipper Creek. They make very reliable EVSEs for not too much money. All come with the J1772 plug, so any friends could use it as well.

As far as connected EVSEs go, I am not up on the latest there, but Juicebox makes a product called the Wattbox that wires into any regular 240 outlet. You can then monitor all power draw data from a website.

As far as the credit goes, you should check your taxes to make sure you can actually get it. It is subject to the AMT and some other restrictions, so that it is harder to get than the main $7500 credit. I would fill out the form using your 2015 tax data and see if you could even have claimed the credit last year. If not, I wouldn't bother installing anything until the 3 is closer to release.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-access/f8911_accessible.pdf

Reactions: ajay and BrokerDon
Did I just hear that the Model S has a timer/control to both start charging when Time-of-Use is favorable, and to limit the charge rate (so not to blow an undersized breaker). I can't find a source for the timer question.
The model S doesn't know your time of use rates, but you can set both the time to start charging and the amps. It will remember both settings for that location.

Reactions: navguy12 and Tree95
Don't forget to fully utilize the HPWC, you'll need dual chargers. Otherwise it's a waste of money if you only have a single charger (which is the norm) plus you don't even know if dual charger is an option for the Model 3. UMC is more than adequate. Another note if anyone plans on going with a more universal EVSE J1772, it's a hassle to hold on to the adapter that Tesla supplies to remove it from the car. So assuming you charge your car every night, you have to hold on to the adapter along with the charger handle to release both at once. That gets old real quick.

Dryer plug adapters are more than adequate. Problem is Tesla stopped making the most popular ones which were only $45. This is assuming you have some type of dryer plug in your garage. You can find them online but not made by Tesla so you'll have to manually set the amperage charge or risk tripping a breaker or worse start a fire. Otherwise, NEMA 14-50 is your best bet.

OK - so I CAN start charging whenever I wish, and at a rate I wish. Can I also turn off the charging just before the rates spike?
Yes. Absolutely. It's a pretty common feature in most EVs except our Toyota RAV4 which tried some stupid scheme where you can only enter your departure and it uses its own calculation to start its charge. The Tesla can control the timing and the amperage draw.

Hope I'm in the right place for this question---Summon Mode.
Looks like the car can enter a garage and leave a garage using its sensors. But - I thought one would want to plug in the car in the garage so you could leave with a full charge. Is there some magical snake that plugs in the car in tight quarters, and unplugs when the car is summoned? How does summon and recharge fit?

Yes. Absolutely. It's a pretty common feature in most EVs except our Toyota RAV4 which tried some stupid scheme where you can only enter your departure and it uses its own calculation to start its charge. The Tesla can control the timing and the amperage draw.
Thanks. Now that it has ben confirmed, it seems obvious that refueling has start/stop and "valve" position. Perhaps the obvious is not always obvious.