Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charger Overcurrent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping someone with more knowledge of this sort of thing than me can offer some insight.

A week ago my 9 month old M3 experienced a major electrical failure while charging. It was undriveable and had to be recovered to Tesla for investigation.
The pyro fuse had blown and Tesla are telling me this was caused by an overcurrent from my charger (a professionally installed Hypervolt charger) and is therefore not covered under warranty.

My question is how can this happen? Surely chargers are designed to avoid this sort of problem? I've never seen anyone else post this sort of issue caused by a home charger, at least to my knowledge.

Are Tesla just trying to pass blame so they can charge me for the repair?
Does the fault lie with the charger manufacturer or the installer?

I've been using the same charger with my loaner Tesla all week without issue, but if there's a problem with my charger clearly I need to get it fixed before I plug my car back into it.

Can anyone who understands the technical side of all this offer any advice please?

Bullsh*t!
The ac current feed to your car, from your charger, is connected to a power supply that provides DC current for the battery, via the pyro fuse. This power supply has a limit to the amount of current it can supply to the battery of around 32 amps (single phase). The pyro fuse is rated at well over several hundred amps to allow for fast dc charging.
The pyro fuse is designed to blow using an explosive charge when you are involved in a crash and is triggered by the cars software. Maybe there was a glitch in the system but that could not have come from your charger...

One more reason to buy a Tesla wall charger, so that they cannot shift the blame when these things happen...

Reactions: M1tch
Ask them to provide some evidence ask what level of current was involved. pointing out it was a single phase 32amp 230volt AC charger that was connected at the time. As Kelvin points out the car is designed to handle 250kw at 400 volts which equates to over 600 amps of current. so seems unlikely a puny 7kw 230v charger could do it any harm. If the Pyro is on the DC side as Kevin said then it would have to go through the 11Kw on board AC/DC transformer before getting to the pyro fuse so 11kw is the absolute max DC that could get though to the DC side which is less than 27amps at 400V

I have been back on to Tesla, armed with all your helpful information (and also from Facebook where I posted this too), and they have now decided it's definitely not the charger and the inverter on the rear power train (I think that's what they said) is the culprit. It's amazing how, when you sound like you know what you're talking about, a company accepts responsibility very quickly! Thanks everyone.

Not the first time a Tesla employee has tried this old excuse and shown their lack of understanding...