TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Home Charger Sans Garage

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Jessica Sideways, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Jessica Sideways

Hello,

I was wondering, how do you install a home charger when your home doesn't have a garage? I am in the market to buy a house but I'm seeing ones in a nice neighbourhood, in my price range but they have no garage.

Any ideas from any current Tesla owners? :confused:

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Not a problem. The HPWC can be installed outdoors. Also your electrician can set it so that it only draws the 50 amps a NEMA 14-50 would. (I'm assuming that your house doesn't have a large enough service to support a 100 amp circuit).

3. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

But even easier: the UMC (charging wall connector that comes with car) is sealed and can be used outside. There are pictures in threads here of people using it in the snow and other inclement weather. Then you only need a standard NEMA 14-50 installed anywhere outside your house, no garage or HPWC required. Search for 50A RV electrical boxes online to see weatherproof boxes for about $30. There are many people in your situation or even in a condo that had to install something outside.

4. Jessica Sideways

Yeah, I was kinda hoping to use the high powered charger but I guess I didn't think of that option. I live in Boulder, CO and work down in Denver so I only drive 80 miles regularly each day.

5. DEinspanjer

DEinspanjer Member

My HPWC is installed on the side of my house facing the driveway and it works just fine.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD

6. Jessica Sideways

Cool. :)

7. Ven Rala

Ven Rala Member

I have a NEMA 10-30 at my house (highest capacity I could place in our home electric box) and a NEMA 14-50 at the office, both outdoors. Both work great.