Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charger Sans Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I was wondering, how do you install a home charger when your home doesn't have a garage? I am in the market to buy a house but I'm seeing ones in a nice neighbourhood, in my price range but they have no garage.

Any ideas from any current Tesla owners? :confused:

Not a problem. The HPWC can be installed outdoors. Also your electrician can set it so that it only draws the 50 amps a NEMA 14-50 would. (I'm assuming that your house doesn't have a large enough service to support a 100 amp circuit).

But even easier: the UMC (charging wall connector that comes with car) is sealed and can be used outside. There are pictures in threads here of people using it in the snow and other inclement weather. Then you only need a standard NEMA 14-50 installed anywhere outside your house, no garage or HPWC required. Search for 50A RV electrical boxes online to see weatherproof boxes for about $30. There are many people in your situation or even in a condo that had to install something outside.

But even easier: the UMC (charging wall connector that comes with car) is sealed and can be used outside. There are pictures in threads here of people using it in the snow and other inclement weather. Then you only need a standard NEMA 14-50 installed anywhere outside your house, no garage or HPWC required. Search for 50A RV electrical boxes online to see weatherproof boxes for about $30. There are many people in your situation or even in a condo that had to install something outside.

Yeah, I was kinda hoping to use the high powered charger but I guess I didn't think of that option. I live in Boulder, CO and work down in Denver so I only drive 80 miles regularly each day.