Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charger Tesla or Other?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear different numbers from everyone, i think there was a period where it wasn't 80A but before they capped it to 48A which is where confusion seems to come from.
Original Model S had one or two 40 amp physical chargers for either 40 or 80 amp charging.

2016 refresh introduced a single charger capable of either 48 amps or 72 amps.

Eventually the 72 amp option went away leaving only the 48.

Thanks for the input everyone. As luck would have it, the Tesla online store had 18ft chargers in stock for like 15-minutes this afternoon and I was able to grab one. Will be installed next week. Now, if I can just get my car. :)
Don't forget to save receipts for the 30% Federal tax credit for purchasing and installing the "charger". Don't know if Texas has state incentives. Probably not.

Reactions: ucmndd
I had a ChargePoint home at my old house. Great charger, had it installed for my leaf and used it with my 3. Would totally recommend this charger to anyone unless they own a Tesla. When I built the new house I have a wall connector installed. It is so much easier using the wall connector with the tesla. No adapter to find and plugin each time. No funny dance to get the adapter out before the charge port door closes. My favorite part is no adaptor rattling around in my cupholder every single drive (granted, I could have put it somewhere else). There are Tesla to J1772 adapters for sale on amazon. I picked one up so my parents can charge their Bolt at my house when they come over. I feel like having an adapter I use sometimes is better than an adapter I have to use all the time.
Funny dance? At least with my MS, all I do is press an hold the release button on the charge port, it turns light green and I pull it out.

Model Y and 3 don't have a button by the charge port, so you have to hold down the release on the charging plug and pull the plug and adaptor out at the same time with the other hand while still holding down the release, or the car slams the charge port door on the adaptor that still in the charge port.