Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charger with multiple users

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have recommendations for a home charger setup where different household members can each have the app on their phone, logged in with their own details, but managing the same charging schedule etc?

I was leaning towards Ohme and liked the idea of logging into the app with my Google account, but my wife has her own separate Google account which would not be linked to the same Ohme account. They recommended just using an email address and password, which presumably we would then be expected to share. That's not a very forward thinking solution really.

Anyone have any better experiences?

Different smart chargers have different features. But as a matter of principle on any service anywhere users should not be encouraged to share usernames and passwords. If MFA is used, as it should, then sharing login details is problematic. It just highlights that manufacturers aren't thinking about real world scenarios where a car and its charging infrastructure are used by multiple people who need access to the same stuff but under their own separate identities.

The easy answer is to just fit a dumb charge point. Mine has a timer and can be set to charge during the cheap rate, or during the day, with variable charge current. They are available, and are generally cheaper than smart charge points that need an app to provide all the functionality, but non-smart charge points aren't eligible for the OLEV grant, unfortunately.

The car has some very basic charge control functionality, but it's not very flexible. I tried using it to only charge during the off-peak period, and unfortunately it won't allow that, it only allows a charge start time to be set, with no end time (so the cheap rate period could over run) or it allows a charge end time to be set, with no start time. The snag with this is that it insists on preconditioning the car ready for that end time, which isn't ideal if all you want is for it to stop charging.

We don’t share chargers, we have one each, both Zappi’s. The app covers both using a common account and are on our iPads & phones.
We can program either one to charge either car. We could certainly share a charger if needed

The easy answer is to just fit a dumb charge point. Mine has a timer and can be set to charge during the cheap rate, or during the day, with variable charge current. They are available, and are generally cheaper than smart charge points that need an app to provide all the functionality, but non-smart charge points aren't eligible for the OLEV grant, unfortunately.

The car has some very basic charge control functionality, but it's not very flexible. I tried using it to only charge during the off-peak period, and unfortunately it won't allow that, it only allows a charge start time to be set, with no end time (so the cheap rate period could over run) or it allows a charge end time to be set, with no start time. The snag with this is that it insists on preconditioning the car ready for that end time, which isn't ideal if all you want is for it to stop charging.

Glan,
I now schedule using teslafli but before that I set a start time in the car & adjust the amount of charge to fit in with the cheap rate tariff band.

Does anyone have recommendations for a home charger setup where different household members can each have the app on their phone, logged in with their own details, but managing the same charging schedule etc?

I was leaning towards Ohme and liked the idea of logging into the app with my Google account, but my wife has her own separate Google account which would not be linked to the same Ohme account. They recommended just using an email address and password, which presumably we would then be expected to share. That's not a very forward thinking solution really.

Anyone have any better experiences?

If its the one car with multiple users teslafi will work with a single account. If its multiple cars then you'd need separate teslafi accounts & subscriptions.

Glan,
I now schedule using teslafli but before that I set a start time in the car & adjust the amount of charge to fit in with the cheap rate tariff band.

Not exactly and easy way around setting a charge timer though, is it? Other cars I've owned have just had a range of charge timing options. One had several different start/stop time profiles that could be set, so you could have different profiles for charging at work, or charging during the off-peak period at home. I've never understood why a simple timer, that allowed the charge start and stop times to be set, independently of the departure time preconditioning setting, wasn't included. It's a moot point now that Tesla have fixed the charge turn on bug, though, as the car now charges faultlessly using the timer in the charge point.

My EO Mini Pro handles this pretty well. We can have separate accounts and the charger can be configured for the specific car each time. For the Tesla I don't need it to do anything smart, but for the Mrs Leaf she wants to charge it to 80% as the car has no limit you can set.