Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey.

New to forum - getting Tesla Model 3 next month

Tesla wall chargers seem to be out of stock and they seem to have no idea when they are available?

Is there any real difference between Tesla and aftermarket ones like EVSE ones?

Would like to arrange to have installed prior to car delivery

Any suggestions??

Scott

Post on Facebook in the Tesla groups, or Tesla Parts Buy Sell Swap Australia group.
I picked up one the other week for $500.
2 on there at the moment for sale.
There is no real difference between charges, If you have Solar Panels take a look at the Zappi, you can charge from the sun and it will dynamically adjust.

If you have Solar Panels take a look at the Zappi, you can charge from the sun and it will dynamically adjust.
Just to add to that, I installed a 3 phase Zappi 9 months after charging with the UMC (doable but realistically not all that convenient since I wanted to use my excess solar). That was 8 months ago. While the Zappi and installation was expensive, it has enabled me to charge 100% off solar since the car is home during the day. And, I also saw it as a value add to the house for when I'm ready to sell it.
So, Zappi is double the price of the HPWC but way more flexible, and should not take too long to pay for itself.
(For my usage case I estimate about 1 year, Zappi only, excluding installation 🧮)

Reactions: paulp
Just to add to that, I installed a 3 phase Zappi 9 months after charging with the UMC (doable but realistically not all that convenient since I wanted to use my excess solar). That was 8 months ago. While the Zappi and installation was expensive, it has enabled me to charge 100% off solar since the car is home during the day. And, I also saw it as a value add to the house for when I'm ready to sell it.
So, Zappi is double the price of the HPWC but way more flexible, and should not take too long to pay for itself.
(For my usage case I estimate about 1 year, Zappi only, excluding installation 🧮)
Thanks for the tip. Thats exactly what I’d like to achieve. Its so annoying trying to use the tesla app to capture export power to the car, and I dont have the skill or knowledge to do the raspberry pi solution.

Would be happy to purchase - what would cost to ship to Sydney?
It would seem that you are looking to go with the HPWC, I guess that is up to you, but unless you have 3 phase power, it is far cheaper to go with the 32 amp tail for the UMC, and the only difference in cost for the installation to supply power to it would be the cost of the 5 pin 32 amp outlet which can be had for as little as $35
If you have single phase power, you may be limited in the rating of the power circuit to supply power to the charger
The current rating of the main switch in your switch board will let you know how much power you have at you disposal, if you have high current drawing items like an electric stove/ hotplates- wall oven, electric hot water, air conditioners, you may have little left over for the charger

Just to add to that, I installed a 3 phase Zappi ......, it has enabled me to charge 100% off solar since the car is home during the day. ...
Car being home during the day is the key point. For me the Zappi did not stack up, as my car is rarely home during the day to charge from solar. On the odd occasion that it is, I just set the car screen to charge at 18 amps, which is is a little less than what my solar usually produces. Confirm the load by checking on the meter that the house in not importing power. This enables me to charge solar only, using the HPWC.