Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be setting up home charging around February by getting a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage. I have already purchased a NEMA 14-50 adapter from Tesla.

I read here that NEMA 15-5 will suffice if I don’t drive much so I am thinking about setting up both NEMA 15-5 and 14-50 like this guy so that everday charging will be coming from the 15-5.

Should I buy another $275 Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle (which I believe came with my 2022 MY) or return the NEMA 14-50 adapter and buy the $400 Corded Mobile Connector (when in stock) that comes with the NEMA 14-50 adapter?

Reactions: DaDoc04
If you use the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector with the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter the charging amperage defaults to 32A. You can manually lower this setting using the Tesla charging settings if you want but the 32A is the most efficient setting.

You don't want to regularly plug and unplug the NEMA 14-50 power plug from the receptacle as the connection will not remain tight over repeated plug and unplug operations. If you go this route plug in and leave it.

You will want to get a cable organizer that includes a wall mount bracket for the Mobile Connector chassis (the electronics unit.) Don't let the Mobile Connector chassis hang supported by only the power plug. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer, you can find similar kits on Amazon.

Cable Organizer

A better solution might be to ditch the NEMA 14-50 receptacle and install the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector for the following reasons.

1) Longer 24 ft charging cord (the charging cord on the Gen2 Mobile Connector is 18.5 ft long)
2) Ability to support load balancing (up to 4 Gen3 Wall Connector units can be installed on a single circuit)
3) No need to use a GFCI circuit breaker as the Gen3 Wall Connector is hard wired into the circuit (this will save you $100)
4) Only need 2 wires plus ground wire instead of 3 wires plus ground wire. The neutral wire is not needed with the Gen3 Wall Connector
5) Fully weather rated for use in all weather conditions, can be installed inside a garage or outside.
6) If you install the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector then you can use the Mobile Connector kit that comes with the Tesla vehicle strictly for travel and not need to purchase a second Mobile Connector kit. (The most useful charging accessory for charging away from home is the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter.)

The Tesla Corded Mobile Connector has been Out of Stock for more than a year.

Last edited:
Assuming you’re in GA like your card says, I think Georgia Power has an L2 charger rebate, you may want to look into it. Also you can double dip, you can get money from power company and file for the IRS to pay 30% of your install and any equipment up to $1000 (14-50 would be included). I’m a big fan of going charger and not screwing around with the 14-50. As @jcanoe pointed out there are a lot of benifts and with rebates and having no GFCI + good 14-50 plug you’re probably a wash in the cost and can keep an emergency charger in the car.

edit: Electric Vehicles

I will be setting up home charging around February by getting a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage. I...

Should I buy another $275 Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle (which I believe came with my 2022 MY) or return the NEMA 14-50 adapter and buy the $400 Corded Mobile Connector (when in stock) that comes with the NEMA 14-50 adapter?
You would be much better off with the Gen 3 Wall Connector. Standard NEMA type plugs are not designed for repeated plugging and unplugging. If you're considering a second Mobile connector to avoid plug and unplug, you're already in the cost territory of the Gen 3 Wall Connector with none of the convenience.

If your garage is "detached", pay careful attention to how big of a circuit is available. My garage couldn't support the addition of a full 48 amp load, but the Gen 3 Wall Connector is programmable in 8 amp steps so it can be set to a lower level if needed.

Reactions: RNHurt and simdank
Assuming you’re in GA like your card says, I think Georgia Power has an L2 charger rebate, you may want to look into it. Also you can double dip, you can get money from power company and file for the IRS to pay 30% of your install and any equipment up to $1000 (14-50 would be included). I’m a big fan of going charger and not screwing around with the 14-50. As @jcanoe pointed out there are a lot of benifts and with rebates and having no GFCI + good 14-50 plug you’re probably a wash in the cost and can keep an emergency charger in the car.

The federal tax rebate expires tonight at midnight.

Reactions: simdank
Nema 14-50 is better, you can use it with any other EVs. It's a little bit slower but it still can charge your Tesla overnight without any issues. Yes, you will probably need a second mobile cable to avoid plugging and unplugging. But the costs are not so high.

Reactions: simdank
Just do the 14-50 outlet and call it a day. It’s the most efficient level 2.

I would also skip the corded connector for $400 since you’re getting only a little faster speed
When you say it’s the most efficient I have a 6-20 Nema that was $550 to install. Every morning I have a full charge. Why would a 14-50 be more efficient other than charging much faster which “most” people really don’t need??? I have free PlugShare Tesla 14-30 chargers all around me as well as SC’s so for me at least it’s more than enough.

If charging from 50-80%…
6-20 takes 5 hrs 13min
14-30 takes 3.5 hrs
14-50 takes 2 hrs 10min

Reactions: rishid
ou will want to get a cable organizer that includes a wall mount bracket for the Mobile Connector chassis (the electronics unit.) Don't let the Mobile Connector chassis hang supported by only the power plug.
Or, you could just support it with an empty box on a folding chair, like I do at the cottage ;) Seriously the important part is not to let the weight drag on the plug - how organized you are is a personal choice, but don't feel you have to buy something Tesla-specific.

If you wear out a 14-50 receptacle its literally a couple bucks to replace. Doesnt take rocket science to replace them. You are fixing existing/permitted electrical infrastructure.

If your adapter breaks... replace it for cost... again no rocket science.

Ive thought of getting the dedicated 14-50 mobile charger, but I guess I value the $400 more than the convenience.

If you use the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector with the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter the charging amperage defaults to 32A. You can manually lower this setting using the Tesla charging settings if you want but the 32A is the most efficient setting.

You don't want to regularly plug and unplug the NEMA 14-50 power plug from the receptacle as the connection will not remain tight over repeated plug and unplug operations. If you go this route plug in and leave it.

You will want to get a cable organizer that includes a wall mount bracket for the Mobile Connector chassis (the electronics unit.) Don't let the Mobile Connector chassis hang supported by only the power plug. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer, you can find similar kits on Amazon.

Cable Organizer

A better solution might be to ditch the NEMA 14-50 receptacle and install the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector for the following reasons.

1) Longer 24 ft charging cord (the charging cord on the Gen2 Mobile Connector is 18.5 ft long)
2) Ability to support load balancing (up to 4 Gen3 Wall Connector units can be installed on a single circuit)
3) No need to use a GFCI circuit breaker as the Gen3 Wall Connector is hard wired into the circuit (this will save you $100)
4) Only need 2 wires plus ground wire instead of 3 wires plus ground wire. The neutral wire is not needed with the Gen3 Wall Connector
5) Fully weather rated for use in all weather conditions, can be installed inside a garage or outside.
6) If you install the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector then you can use the Mobile Connector kit that comes with the Tesla vehicle strictly for travel and not need to purchase a second Mobile Connector kit. (The most useful charging accessory for charging away from home is the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter.)

The Tesla Corded Mobile Connector has been Out of Stock for more than a year.
Thank you for your thorough answer. Believe it or not, I do want the Gen 3 Wall Connector but wanted to see if I can get by with a cheaper option since I am not sure how long I will be living at that home for. I'll live there for a year or two then rent it out. Looks like I'll just install the Gen 3 Wall Connector and try to find a tenant with a Tesla.

Reactions: Thp3

Not sure what the difference in cost would be but if it's only a $200-300 difference, sure why not.

You would be much better off with the Gen 3 Wall Connector. Standard NEMA type plugs are not designed for repeated plugging and unplugging. If you're considering a second Mobile connector to avoid plug and unplug, you're already in the cost territory of the Gen 3 Wall Connector with none of the convenience.

If your garage is "detached", pay careful attention to how big of a circuit is available. My garage couldn't support the addition of a full 48 amp load, but the Gen 3 Wall Connector is programmable in 8 amp steps so it can be set to a lower level if needed.
I wasn't going to constantly plug/unplug the NEMA 14-50... And was asking which mobile connector to buy.

But yeah, it's an attached garage and I am leaning towards the Gen 3 Wall Connector. Though I think the labor for the 2 jobs will vary in price.

Nema 14-50 is better, you can use it with any other EVs. It's a little bit slower but it still can charge your Tesla overnight without any issues. Yes, you will probably need a second mobile cable to avoid plugging and unplugging. But the costs are not so high.
I'll probably get another EV soon. Most likely will be a Tesla. But that's a good point. Thanks.