Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging all of a sudden on fritz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having scanned the threads looking to duplicate issue couldn't find -- I have had my Model S since March 2014. Charged almost nightly (except when traveling) in my garage on my 220V outlet I had installed for the purpose. Set scheduled charging til after midnight for the rate, and woken to fully charged car for my 120 mile commute. Two days this past week, all things being normal (both in what I did with the car and the other home conditions) I woke to find that the car had started to charge and stopped after adding 2-3 miles of range. VERY frustrating. Yet, the next day, all conditions the same - no problems, full charge. When I have had to charge added - the wall charger had no flashing lights (error codes etc).

Thanks

Do you have the new gray 14-50 plug on your UMC? Take the adapter off the UMC and look at the back of it. It could be that your outlet is bad and is overheating, and the new gray 14-50 has a temp sensor in it that can detect this condition. Try telling your car to charge now, let it charge for 5 minutes at the full 40 amps. If it stops before that, unplug the UMC and immediately and carefully feel how hot the pins are on the plug. If they are so hot you can't touch them, your outlet is bad. And yes, even brand new outlets can go bad. If this is the case, reduce your charge amps to around 20 amps and repeat the test. If the pins are of a reasonable temp, you can at least charge until you can get your outlet replaced. If they are still so hot you can't touch them, reduce to 10 amps and repeat. If it is still too hot, stop using the outlet and get your electrician out to replace it ASAP.

If my experience is any guide, you are headed for a new UMC. Have you noticed any intermittency in connecting up the UMC? That can lead to a shutdown after you walk away. Definitely time to consult at the Service center..