Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging complete - connector should unlock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to the Tesla world - I got a used 2019 Model 3 LR about a month ago, and had a Tesla home charger installed a few weeks ago. It is working flawlessly, but there is one behavior that I'm not quite sure on and wanted to ask here.

Once the car is fully charged, the app shows the car still hooked up - the little power cable in the app is green. But the light on the car by the charge port is unlit, and it's actually loose - I can walk up and pull the cable out without pushing the button. It seems like that is by design - that the connector is unlocked once the fully charged state is hit, but that really seems odd to me.

Can anybody confirm what the expected behavior is - say my car is set to charge to 70% - once the Tesla home charger gets it to 70% should the connector stay locked and then light by the charge port stay lit (blue?), or does it go black and unlock?

Thank you!

Normal behavior at the end of the charge is for the car’s port to be solid green and the light on the connector be be solid blue. In my MS I must “release” the cable in the app, or by pressing a small button adjacent to the port, or the button on the charging cable. In all cases the car must be unlocked to remove the cable.

If you are saying the port is loose, that is not normal and could be the problem.

Normal behavior at the end of the charge is for the car’s port to be solid green and the light on the connector be be solid blue. In my MS I must “release” the cable in the app, or by pressing a small button adjacent to the port, or the button on the charging cable. In all cases the car must be unlocked to remove the cable.

If you are saying the port is loose, that is not normal and could be the problem.
Is there a small button adjacent to the port in a '23 Tesla 3 std? I'll have to check. May have missed it. I'm using the Tesla adapter connected to my old Bolt level 2 charger. Has worked fine several times, except yesterday port color turned dark after sitting 30 min at 100% charge. Also had to jiggke the connector to release it from charger port.

Is there a small button adjacent to the port in a '23 Tesla 3 std? I'll have to check. May have missed it. I'm using the Tesla adapter connected to my old Bolt level 2 charger. Has worked fine several times, except yesterday port color turned dark after sitting 30 min at 100% charge. Also had to jiggle the connector to release it from charger port.
I just checked my Tesla charge port, and there is no small button in there. The button on my Bolt charger serves to connect the Tesla adapter to my charger. I don't know if it has any other function.