Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging confusion

Which would you recommend?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there partial answers spread throughout TMC, but on thread to consolidate them is helpful, at least to me. I'm planning to get a M3LR AWD. I currently have a ChargePoint Charger that's limited to 32 ampsn it's fed through a 50 amp breaker. I think the breaker could be replaced by a 60 amp one; my electrician can tell me for sure. I don't know which NEMA socket he installed for the ChargePoint, though.

As I see it, my options are, in no particular order

Use the ChargePoint with an adaptor.
Use the charging cable that comes with the car, and maybe buy a second one to carry in the car.
Buy a Corded Mobile Connector.
Buy a Wall Connector.

What is your considered advice?

All of your options are good choices. If you don’t absolutely need the max charging rate, then using the ChargePoint you currently have is the most economical. If you’re going to spend money on a new Tesla connector, I would vote for the wall connector just because it’s convenient and looks nicer than one that is plugged in (and you’ll get the max charging rate).

Reactions: 1100MCM and jmaddr
I also vote "use what you have, first, and if it becomes annoying plugging and unplugging the adapter, then get a wall connector".

"most" people will not need the difference in speed of. charging between a 32 amp circuit and a 48 amp one, but saying that, it sure is nice to "charge at full speed". My normal commute to work is 80 miles round trip, which is about 80-120 "tesla miles" depending on how I drive, weather, etc. I can "refill" my car from my daily commute in between 2.5 to 3 ish hours.

Not "necessary" but completely, utterly kills the "range anxiety" issue for me of wondering "what if I have an emergency after getting home from work, and need to take the car blah blah blah blah??!?!?"

Not like it has ever happened, but this is my first EV, and such thoughts crossed my head in 2018 when I bought it. I would buy the HPWC again, even though I now know that I dont "need" the charging speed, because I like how it looks, and it makes charging time a complete non issue. Even if you are on a time of use plan where your "cheapest electricity" is midnight to 6 am, you could completely refill your car within that time frame on a 48 amp circuit, even if you just got back home from a trip basically on "empty".

Still, not "needed" and you already have charging infrastructure in place, and if I remember correctly, stated you were retired or about to be, so can likely control your commute times / distances as desired.

EDIT:

One more thing....

The problem with a "consolidated charging thread" is that setting up charging for your car at home is somewhat like a construction project. There really is no "best", because it depends on your electrical infrastructure in place, or able to be placed, your desired to spend money to upgrade said infrastructure if needed, how far you drive and how often you need to charge, etc.

Still, with that being said, the "fastest" way to charge a tesla at home is the HPWC (tesla wall connector). In almost all cases, that solution will charge fastest, but that doesnt necessarily make it the "best" for each person. I know that may not help, but thats what I got, lol.

Wall connector is the optimal solution to run at 48A. but also the most expensive. (It’s what I have, and it’s great)

The only other way to get 48A (that I know of) would be to order a J1772 charger rated for 48A and then use the adapter. All other options get less than 48A

Wall connector is the optimal solution to run at 48A. but also the most expensive.

The only other way to get 48A (that I know of) would be to order a J1772 charger rated for 48A and then use the adapter. All other options get less than 48A
I did manage to figure that out. *sigh* And that assumes that my electrician says it's Ok to replace the 50 Amp breaker with a 60 amp breaker.

I'm going to try to use the ChargePoint unit I have, and see how well it works. If that's not satisfactory, I'll most likely get the Wall Unit.

There are a few problems that I foresee with it, though; the most significant being that it probably won't reach the charge port on the M3 unless I back the car into the garage. And that would entail moving stuff in storage to make room so I can park far enough from the wall to open the door to get in and out.

I’ve been charging my Model X off of 32A 240V at home for years, and never wished for faster. The ChargePoint should be fine.

In your shoes I’d probably leave the J1772 adapter on the ChargePoint unless there’s another car that uses it, maybe by a second from Tesla or eBay to keep in the car.

I did manage to figure that out. *sigh* And that assumes that my electrician says it's Ok to replace the 50 Amp breaker with a 60 amp breaker.

I'm going to try to use the ChargePoint unit I have, and see how well it works. If that's not satisfactory, I'll most likely get the Wall Unit.

There are a few problems that I foresee with it, though; the most significant being that it probably won't reach the charge port on the M3 unless I back the car into the garage. And that would entail moving stuff in storage to make room so I can park far enough from the wall to open the door to get in and out.

Do you know what wire size you have? We can probably tell you if you need to rewire or not

you need a minimum of 6 gage THHN or 4 gage Romex to run 48A on a 60A breaker

If you have 6 gage romex, unfortunately you won’t be able to increase circuit breaker size

It really depends on your situation.
1. If you have a tight TOU, get the Wall Connector
2. If you are charging two Teslas and your panel is low capacity, get the Wall Connector.
3. If you want to charge outside and can't run the cable though the door, get the Wall Connector.
4. If you want a simple installation get the NEMA 14-50.
5. If you want a low cost installation get the NEMA 14-50.
6. If you want redundancy, get both the Wall Connector and the NEMA 14-50.
7. If you also have a non-Tesla car, get a Clipper Creek for the other car, which can also be used as a secondary charger for the Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Do you know what wire size you have? We can probably tell you if you need to rewire or not

you need a minimum of 6 gage THHN or 4 gage Romex to run 48A on a 60A breaker

If you have 6 gage romex, unfortunately you won’t be able to increase circuit breaker size
I don't know, but my electrician who installed the 50A breaker and wired the 240V outlet can tell me. Of course if I stay with the Chargepoint, that won't be an issue.

It really depends on your situation.
1. If you have a tight TOU, get the Wall Connector
2. If you are charging two Teslas and your panel is low capacity, get the Wall Connector.
3. If you want to charge outside and can't run the cable though the door, get the Wall Connector.
4. If you want a simple installation get the NEMA 14-50.
5. If you want a low cost installation get the NEMA 14-50.
6. If you want redundancy, get both the Wall Connector and the NEMA 14-50.
7. If you also have a non-Tesla car, get a Clipper Creek for the other car, which can also be used as a secondary charger for the Tesla.
Don't know what a TOU is; I'm still learning the jargon.

2,3,6,7 don't apply to me.

For 4 and 5, I can simply use the ChargePoint.

The NEMA 14-50 is which charger; what is its normal name?

I’ve been charging my Model X off of 32A 240V at home for years, and never wished for faster. The ChargePoint should be fine.

In your shoes I’d probably leave the J1772 adapter on the ChargePoint unless there’s another car that uses it, maybe by a second from Tesla or eBay to keep in the car.
If I do go with the ChargePoint, I'll definitely buy a second J1772 adaptor.