Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging dropping to 16A

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
UI could do with being updated so that it adapts to a mobile phone browser

Personally not sure how that much data would be "fitted" into a small screen, but I'm no designer

I'm still a little nervous about security though since it's got a token to access the car and it stores all my travel details including my home location so if the site got compromised, it would be a car thief's bonanza.

You can generate a token yourself and use that ... but you have to be a bit of a boff ...

The bloke that created TesalFi is making about $350K p.a.in subs by my calculation ... I don't think nicking cars would be good for his business model :) You are only at risk whilst the details are in transit to Tesla server. TeslaFi then uses the resulting token, and doesn't retain your logon credentials (and if you change your My Tesla password that will cancel access from all 3rd party APPs like that).

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
Not sure it's relevent, but similar story here, but on the UMC. Charging at my parents using the 3 pin and umc, starts at 10A for 30 mins or so then starts dropping to 8A, 5A, off for a bit, back to 5 and cycle. T on the UmC flashing some red. Check the plug/socket and find them both significantly toasty! This was a supposedly normal double in the garage. Same story on a second double in the garage, feels like the best was from the socket to, not the plug.

Recently for a solid 8 hours at 10A of an out door socket with no problems. Luckily it's a modern house and came with a binder of info, including writing diagrams. Guess what this evening's fun is?

What I'm saying tho is the car seems to be pretty smart with this stuff and protect itself and the attached infrastructure. If it detects something tho, there may well be a problem :-(

sho12345678

Jun 27, 2019
Midlands
I was getting 32A, then all of a sudden started getting only 16A despite trying to manually increase the Amps on the car.

I called up PodPoint, they informed me that the amperage was set low on their side for some reason. Within 5 mins I was up to 32A.

Perhaps the car being a bit too clever for its own good forcing the charger to lower it's output?

VanillaAir_UK

Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
Mine shows 240V here in the US. I think your voltage is too low to support 32A??
This isn't the US. 240v is a very normal voltage for us - in fact officially its 230v, but we still commonly live by our 240v previous spec which is still well within the tolerance of our official spec.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
I was getting 32A, then all of a sudden started getting only 16A despite trying to manually increase the Amps on the car.

I called up PodPoint, they informed me that the amperage was set low on their side for some reason. Within 5 mins I was up to 32A.
I had the same experience. The guy at EVBox was able to control the max charge current from the central system - not that it fixed the problem, but it shows that this sort of control is possible.

Personally, I'm coming to the view that all these fancy chargers are a waste of time and money. They are all overly complex and not really adding much value. A 32A commando socket and the necessary wiring and RCD feeding the UMC would be just fine. The car (plus Teslafi) can sort out start/end times. What more do most people need?

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
I had the same experience. The guy at EVBox was able to control the max charge current from the central system - not that it fixed the problem, but it shows that this sort of control is possible.

Personally, I'm coming to the view that all these fancy chargers are a waste of time and money. They are all overly complex and not really adding much value. A 32A commando socket and the necessary wiring and RCD feeding the UMC would be just fine. The car (plus Teslafi) can sort out start/end times. What more do most people need?

Plus an extra UMC so you don't need to bring your regular one with you and you are sorted as far as I can tell! The proper ones are neater tho...

gaspi101

Sep 24, 2019
Miami
I've had the same issues with my Rolec,

Jumps to 32A at the start - then drops back to 16A. Did that for a few days, now tripping the RCD.

It's getting swapped out for a new unit on Monday...

Whether it's the same issue is hard to say, but even with the 13A UMC plug, it seems to charge for 10/20/30 minutes, then stop charging for no apparent reason.

If the new Rolec gets fitted and has the same issues, then I think the only thing left is something in the car is the problem.

Video here of my issues.

booyaka76, did you get this fixed? What happened? I’m having the exact same problem you were...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC