Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging - electric tariff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With apologies in advance for starting a new thread on what may be a well trodden path... what are you good people doing on your electric tariffs for home charging? I’m probably about to shoot myself in the foot by saying that I’ve signed up for EDF’s GoElectric tariff (electric only) as the lure of 8p per kW from 9pm to 7am Monday to Friday and all day on Saturday and Sunday was too strong... but I’ve seen a number of posts about Octopus at 4p per kW... but I guess the hours are very restrictive. Let the debate begin

With apologies in advance for starting a new thread on what may be a well trodden path... what are you good people doing on your electric tariffs for home charging? I’m probably about to shoot myself in the foot by saying that I’ve signed up for EDF’s GoElectric tariff (electric only) as the lure of 8p per kW from 9pm to 7am Monday to Friday and all day on Saturday and Sunday was too strong... but I’ve seen a number of posts about Octopus at 4p per kW... but I guess the hours are very restrictive. Let the debate begin
As you correctly assumed, it is well trodden and there is plenty of threads on this forum which go into the weeds of various companies and their tariffs. The EDF tariiff is not bad and very attractive to some.
A word of warning though to anyone that is about to sign up to an 'EV' tariff is that it may not be the bargain you imagined.
The spreadsheet here allows you to play around with the amount of kWhs you will use in peak, standard and off-peak periods and get an idea of the monthly bill you will face with various companies. Clearly with the EDF tariif you will be able to put a larger figure in the off-peak useage than others.

Reactions: Roy W.
Summary:

1. Most are on Octopus Go (4hrs overnight charged at 5 pence)
2. A handful have then moved to Octopus 'Go Faster' (beta trial tariff with cheap rates between 3 and 5hrs overnight starting at various times)
3. Those with too much time in their hands have moved to Octopus Agile (rates generally cheaper but high between 16:00-19:00)
4. EDF ok if you're not too arsed about the whole thing
5. Everyone will now be sending you referral codes so they can make a quick 50 quid

LOL... thank you guys for the responses and referral codes... foot duly blown off as I expected! Dare I say, it’s not just about the car charging, but also the rest of the household consumption too. And given that annoyingly my new EDF tariff went live at 9pm tonight, I’m going to try them out in the hope that the 98 hours a week at 8p per kW will work in my favour... especially if wanting to pre heat the car in the morning... my wife blow drying her hair and the kids turning every light and appliance in the house on at the same time too

Reactions: freekie
Have you got, or does the Go-Electric tariff require a Smart Meter to be fitted? I am currently having a (polite at the moment - 4 months and no resolution yet) argument with EDF about the Smart Meter they have installed. It appears to be metering reactive power as well as real power, resulting in an annual increase in my electricity bill of £200 over what the old meter was recording. It's a highly technical argument about how AC power works, but it only came to my notice because I have a Tesla Powerwall 2. Tesla Energy are very interested and will be sending their engineers to investigate soon, it sounds like it's not an isolated case either. However, EDF are saying there is nothing wrong - without even visiting to make the site assessment that I have requested. Other Smart Meter's are definitely recording correctly, I have figures from another Powerwall owner who is with Octopus. It may not amount to a great deal of extra power unless you have a lot of AC motors and switch mode power supplies - common in modern electronics. However, it could just possibly be an insidious way of getting more money out of customers without their noticing - or am I being overly suspicious?.

Have you got, or does the Go-Electric tariff require a Smart Meter to be fitted? I am currently having a (polite at the moment - 4 months and no resolution yet) argument with EDF about the Smart Meter they have installed. It appears to be metering reactive power as well as real power, resulting in an annual increase in my electricity bill of £200 over what the old meter was recording. It's a highly technical argument about how AC power works, but it only came to my notice because I have a Tesla Powerwall 2. Tesla Energy are very interested and will be sending their engineers to investigate soon, it sounds like it's not an isolated case either. However, EDF are saying there is nothing wrong - without even visiting to make the site assessment that I have requested. Other Smart Meter's are definitely recording correctly, I have figures from another Powerwall owner who is with Octopus. It may not amount to a great deal of extra power unless you have a lot of AC motors and switch mode power supplies - common in modern electronics. However, it could just possibly be an insidious way of getting more money out of customers without their noticing - or am I being overly suspicious?.

There's no power factor monitoring on Octopus Go but it does require a smart meter of course, so that your timed usage can be charged appropriately.

If you have a battery or batteries installed the Agile tariff is a no brainer.
As an example overnight tonight no higher that 2.3p and as low as .05p.. If you can get a smart meter 9 months and still waiting (10 weeks and one non show appointment with Octopus)

As an example overnight tonight no higher that 2.3p and as low as .05p.. If you can get a smart meter 9 months and still waiting (10 weeks and one non show appointment with Octopus)
I forgot to mention the Ohme charger takes out all the hard wok of looking for the cheapest rates. It does it all automatically and is controlled by an app.

I have seen the commando version and am very interested. If you get it discounted via Octopus do the lock you into a minimum contract period?
As far as I'm aware there's no lock in period. If it works as advetised, and I've got no reason to doubt their claims, Why would anyone want to leave? If you need a referral, drop me a PM.

Reactions: m3gt2

Even without a battery it was still a 'no brainer' for me to move to Agile.

It is mostly about the amount you use in the 4-7pm period. We don't use much there so we didn't have to change our behaviour at all.

Our last full week comparison figures for the smart tariffs are as follows:

Octopus Go : £24.59
EDF : £23.50
Bulb: £24.07
Octopus Agile: £16.66

As you can see, it wasn't a tricky choice to make, even though we have no solar and no Powerwall etc.

Octopus Agile is particuarly cheap this year and I assume the succession of gales has helped the cause. Last time I had a serious look into the agile tariff was last summer and I do not recall that the figures were in any way a 'no-brainer'.

Everyone has to look at their own distribution of usage, for us, our load is fairly even across the day Monday to Friday, but lighter at the weekends as we work from home during the week but are out a lot at the weekend. We don't have to recharge the car every night and even with time-delay for things like drying and dishwasher we don't use a huge amount over night.

So we don't benefit as much from concentrated low price periods as much as we do from lower prices throughout the day.

This is why you have to look at individual load patterns to get the optimum answer.

Every week isn't as clear as last weeks numbers, looking back at October the first week there was only £3 cheaper on Agile vs Go.

Just have to do the numbers and crunch the data :)

As an example overnight tonight no higher that 2.3p and as low as .05p

last time I looked the super-low-price didn't seem to happen anything like often enough to my eye.

Last time I had a serious look into the agile tariff was last summer and I do not recall that the figures were in any way a 'no-brainer'.

Yeah, that was my take too.

I've only taken one data cut, and only for my region, but unless I am reading this wrong?? it ain't below 5P on many nights

Agile01.gif

last time I looked the super-low-price didn't seem to happen anything like often enough to my eye.

Yeah, that was my take too.

I've only taken one data cut, and only for my region, but unless I am reading this wrong?? it ain't below 5P on many nights

View attachment 519427
I’d agree, but if you take out the 20-odd pence peak evening rate, the rest of the day probably averages out near 8p a kWh. I guess it makes sense if you use a lot of power during the day, except at peak rate. We don’t. The car charging and other off-peak usage is over 70% of our bill.

Reactions: WannabeOwner