Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging - fastest route?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I am waiting delivery of a 2016 MX. When looking at installing home charger. I see Nema 14-50 and 6-50 as the two most economical ways to do so. I have an existing 6-20 in the garage but this charges at only 8miles/hour.

However - looking at Tesla website it says both with charge only at 20miles/hour.

Is this the fastest rate at which you can charge a MX?

Will Tesla’s wall charger be any quicker ?

Do you really need the fastest solution?

The NEMA 14-50 is probably the most common higher speed solution, aside from the HPWC. It's not 20 miles, it's 30.
Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

The NEMA 14-50 is most versatile, but may have some availability issues right now. It also generally solves 99.99% of the charging needs that folks have. For that matter, a 120V plug solves the needs of many people.

Some Model X, I think, have dual chargers, which only the HPWC and a 100A circuit can feed.
That also brings up the fact that not all electrical panels have enough capacity to support a 60A circuit, let alone a 100A circuit.

And while your 6-20 charges only at 8 mph, do you drive more than 100 miles daily?

Reactions: CrayZ1
The NEMA 14-50 is probably the most common higher speed solution, aside from the HPWC. It's not 20 miles, it's 30.
Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

OP is getting a Model X (not Model 3) so it is 20 miles/hr for him. But he is also getting a 2016 Model X which could come with Gen 1 UMC which is faster than Gen 2. He could also get the Nema 14-50 adapter for free if they gave him all OEM stuff. With Gen 1, it is 25 miles per hour for Model X.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
My 2019 X with the Tesla wall charger hooked to a 60 amp breaker gives me 40 mph charge rate. I'm very pleased with that rate. When I use the 120 volt outlet I see 3 mph. I charge every Saturday or Sunday for about 3 to 4 hours to bring me up to 80% charge.

Hello. I am waiting delivery of a 2016 MX. When looking at installing home charger. I see Nema 14-50 and 6-50 as the two most economical ways to do so. I have an existing 6-20 in the garage but this charges at only 8miles/hour.

However - looking at Tesla website it says both with charge only at 20miles/hour.

Is this the fastest rate at which you can charge a MX?

Will Tesla’s wall charger be any quicker ?
Do you know if the X will have the 48 or 72 amp charger built-in? Back in 2016 it was an option to upgrade it to 72 amps. If you use a wall connector, you could possibly charge at up to 72 amps if the car has the 72 amp charger. If it only has the 48 amp charger then it would only charge at up to 48 amps on the wall connector. With a gen 1 UMC and 14-50 or 6-50 adapter, you can charge at up to 40 amps. With a gen 2 UMC and 14-5 or 6-50 adapter, you can charge at up to 32 amps.

Just Checked the Vehicle Details. It says 48amps, I do not see any reference to 72amps. So I assume the Max I can charge is at 48amps. Given this I think a Nema 14-50 or 6-50 would be Ideal and this would give me the 20-25 miles per hour charge rate.

Thanks for all the help and Insights.

Thanks

Just Checked the Vehicle Details. It says 48amps, I do not see any reference to 72amps. So I assume the Max I can charge is at 48amps. Given this I think a Nema 14-50 or 6-50 would be Ideal and this would give me the 20-25 miles per hour charge rate.

Thanks
Yes, sounds like you have the 48 amp charger. Hopefully the car comes with the original gen 1 UMC and 14-50 adapter so you'll be able to plug it in after getting an outlet installed. 25 mph is pretty good. With the wall connector, you could bump it up 20% to 30 mph but then you'd have to pay for a wall connector as well. If you only have the one Tesla, the 14-50 is probably the best bet. That's what we originally installed in our garage.

Thanks

You will need a 60 Amp circuit to charge at 48 Amps, and will need to be hardwired. This is a continuous load in the eyes of the NEC, and the 80% rule applies. I do not think the Tesla Wall Connector is available any longer with a 14-50 plug. If so, it would be limited to a 40 Amp charge rate due to the limits of the plug/receptacle. Yes there are plugs and receptacles that can handle greater than 50 Amps, but you do not want to go there in terms of availability, and cost. They are called pin/sleeve.

You can use the Mobile Connector with a 14-50 adaptor. With this you can get a 30 Amp charge rate, limit here being the adapter cordage is rated at 30 Amps.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrayZ1
You can use the Mobile Connector with a 14-50 adaptor. With this you can get a 30 Amp charge rate, limit here being the adapter cordage is rated at 30 Amps.
The gen 1 mobile connector included with 2016 cars, such as the one the OP is buying, can charge at 40 amps with a 14-50 adapter. The gen 2 mobile connector with a 14-50 adapter can change at 32 amps

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The gen 1 mobile connector included with 2016 cars, such as the one the OP is buying, can charge at 40 amps with a 14-50 adapter. The gen 2 mobile connector with a 14-50 adapter can change at 32 amps

Thank you! I should have re-read the OP post. I wonder why Tesla went down to the 32 Amp device. I have a Gen 2 with a 14-50 adapter, and oddly the adapter itself carries a 30 Amp rating, not 32.

Thank you! I should have re-read the OP post. I wonder why Tesla went down to the 32 Amp device. I have a Gen 2 with a 14-50 adapter, and oddly the adapter itself carries a 30 Amp rating, not 32.

I think I have the reason, there is no NEMA standard for a 40 amp circuit. Often there are 40 amp circuits that are installed on 14-50 receptacles. I'm sure Tesla has gotten complaints that people plug into14-50 receptacles and it trips the circuit. Once the charging is initiated the car would start to pull 40 Amps (80% of 50 amp for a continuous duty circuit) it can trip the breaker. By limiting the 14-50 adapter to 32 amps (which is 80% of a 40 amp circuit) they are eliminating the potential issue. Tesla would MUCH rather have a slightly slower charge rate for people than complaints.

Reactions: Rocky_H
If I'm doing my math right, you should be able to add 69 kWh to your battery in 8h with a 14-50 and a 40a UMC (10% charging losses). You won't normally charge past 90% or get lower than 10%, so 8 hrs will normally 'fill' your tank.

IMO 14-50 is the best vehicle plug receptacle. Many RVs use it, and it can supply either 120v or 240v. Because RV's use it, adapters are cheap and easy to acquire.

In the process of getting a 2020 Model X. From what I am reading here is there a reason to spend the $ on the home charger or can I just get an aftermarket adapter and use the existing outlets in my garage. Assuming it is a 50 amp breaker.

Thanks,
Hank

In the process of getting a 2020 Model X. From what I am reading here is there a reason to spend the $ on the home charger or can I just get an aftermarket adapter and use the existing outlets in my garage. Assuming it is a 50 amp breaker.

Thanks,
Hank
If you are going to use the UMC, just get one of the Tesla-made adapters, assuming they have one that fits your outlet: Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Thanks,
Hank

I Finally Installed a Nema 14-50 in our garage. It cost us around $525. This can charge at ~40amps and 250V or 10kw.

However, I asked the electrician to future proof for Tesla Wall Charger by 1) Using a 6 gauge (rather than 8 gauge) wire - this will allow to pull 60amps from the Wall Charger and will not require re-wiring and 2) Leave a Slack near the connector (to allow for WC install) and 3) Install the plug at a height around ~4ft (Less wiring in the future). When ready all you need to do is - Install the Tesla Wall changer in the same location, use the slack to make necessary connections and change the breaker to 60amps (from the current 50amps).

Thanks

My 2019 X with the Tesla wall charger hooked to a 60 amp breaker gives me 40 mph charge rate. I'm very pleased with that rate. When I use the 120 volt outlet I see 3 mph. I charge every Saturday or Sunday for about 3 to 4 hours to bring me up to 80% charge.

The 40 mph seems high. Tesla advises 30 mph for 11.5 kW, (240V, 48A). I get about 32 mph with 2019 X. Is your voltage perhaps a little higher than the rated 240V?