Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging fluctuates from 8 kw to 4 kw

Bodyhauler

Jun 20, 2019
Cedar Park, Tx
I have a Nema 14-50 outlet in my garage and have my Mobile Charging Unit plugged in for charging. Recently I've noticed my charging fluctuates from the max of 8 kw to 4 kw. It switches back and forth while charging. I haven't noticed this before and wondered if it is just with warmer temps (Upper 80's - 90's in garage) or is my Mobile Charger becoming faulty.

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan
I have a Nema 14-50 outlet in my garage and have my Mobile Charging Unit plugged in for charging. Recently I've noticed my charging fluctuates from the max of 8 kw to 4 kw. It switches back and forth while charging. I haven't noticed this before and wondered if it is just with warmer temps (Upper 80's - 90's in garage) or is my Mobile Charger becoming faulty.

I think your S has dual chargers, one may be going bad/ overheating.

Apr 7, 2020
Houston
Either the above or the wiring in your home is heating up. To test this theory set you charging limit to something in between 4 and 8kw, like 5. If the lower limit solves the problem then its likely wiring in the house problems. If it still goes down to 4kw and back to 8 then the onboard charger is likely the problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan
I believe even a single charge has two units inside.

Probably. The dual charger was 80 Amp anyway, not 40A so I was off on that.

Either the above or the wiring in your home is heating up. To test this theory set you charging limit to something in between 4 and 8kw, like 5. If the lower limit solves the problem then its likely wiring in the house problems. If it still goes down to 4kw and back to 8 then the onboard charger is likely the problem.

Yeah, UMC will throttle based on temperature.

The vehicle will reduce charge current by 25% current on excessive voltage drop. So it doesn't seem to fit the 4kW/8kW symptom.

r1200gs4ok

Jul 17, 2019
Irvine
Maybe, you can also double check that the plug adapter is fully seated (UMC to 14-50 or whatever you are using).
and all wires are securely screwed down.....if the plug is warm or hot you got wiring issues....my Tesla Nema 14-50 was fluctuating between 40kW and 30 kW.....everything was ok ....turned out to be the Tesla charger....it was replaced with a hard wired unit

Bodyhauler

Jun 20, 2019
Cedar Park, Tx
I had the mobile repair guy at the house today for a handle repair and asked him about the charging unit fluctuating and he told me to make a new repair order and Tesla will bring me out a new UMC replacement free.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC