Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging fluctuates from 8 kw to 4 kw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Nema 14-50 outlet in my garage and have my Mobile Charging Unit plugged in for charging. Recently I've noticed my charging fluctuates from the max of 8 kw to 4 kw. It switches back and forth while charging. I haven't noticed this before and wondered if it is just with warmer temps (Upper 80's - 90's in garage) or is my Mobile Charger becoming faulty.

I have a Nema 14-50 outlet in my garage and have my Mobile Charging Unit plugged in for charging. Recently I've noticed my charging fluctuates from the max of 8 kw to 4 kw. It switches back and forth while charging. I haven't noticed this before and wondered if it is just with warmer temps (Upper 80's - 90's in garage) or is my Mobile Charger becoming faulty.

I think your S has dual chargers, one may be going bad/ overheating.

Either the above or the wiring in your home is heating up. To test this theory set you charging limit to something in between 4 and 8kw, like 5. If the lower limit solves the problem then its likely wiring in the house problems. If it still goes down to 4kw and back to 8 then the onboard charger is likely the problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
I believe even a single charge has two units inside.

Probably. The dual charger was 80 Amp anyway, not 40A so I was off on that.

Either the above or the wiring in your home is heating up. To test this theory set you charging limit to something in between 4 and 8kw, like 5. If the lower limit solves the problem then its likely wiring in the house problems. If it still goes down to 4kw and back to 8 then the onboard charger is likely the problem.

Yeah, UMC will throttle based on temperature.

The vehicle will reduce charge current by 25% current on excessive voltage drop. So it doesn't seem to fit the 4kW/8kW symptom.

Maybe, you can also double check that the plug adapter is fully seated (UMC to 14-50 or whatever you are using).
and all wires are securely screwed down.....if the plug is warm or hot you got wiring issues....my Tesla Nema 14-50 was fluctuating between 40kW and 30 kW.....everything was ok ....turned out to be the Tesla charger....it was replaced with a hard wired unit