Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging for Two Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own a Model S and I plug into a standard 220 outlet. We will be receiving our Model Y soon.
Should I just install another 220 outlet or is there a Tesla dual outlet charger I need to purchase and install? Or are there now specific types of wall chargers I need to get? Back in 2013 when we got our S, I just installed a 220 outlet and that was it.
Any advice would be much appreciated!!

-David

Depends on your needs - I charge an S and a 3 from a single charger. We alternate charge nights and all is fine.

If you drive more or the way the cars are parking makes that difficult, you can put in a second 240v outlets (I assume you have 14-50?). If you have enough circuit capacity in your house that will work fine.

If you're house doesn't have enough capacity, you could install two of the Tesla wall connectors. They can communicate with each other and keep under a specific pre-set limit. Then both cars can share the same capacity automatically.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Depends on your needs - I charge an S and a 3 from a single charger. We alternate charge nights and all is fine.

If you drive more or the way the cars are parking makes that difficult, you can put in a second 240v outlets (I assume you have 14-50?). If you have enough circuit capacity in your house that will work fine.

If you're house doesn't have enough capacity, you could install two of the Tesla wall connectors. They can communicate with each other and keep under a specific pre-set limit. Then both cars can share the same capacity automatically.
Note you need Gen 2 for this, right? I don’t think the new Gen 3 do load sharing yet? I could be wrong but I think that is still TBD.

I have two Gen 2 units on a 100 A circuits load sharing and they work great. No moving things back and forth, both cars are plugged in all the time.

I use two JuiceBox Pro 40, off one 240 VAC 40 AMP feed with 2 14-50 outlets. They load share quite nicely for two EVs. One TM3 and one Nissan Leaf. A third 15 amp outlet off the same feed supplies a built in electric 240 VAC pressure washer.

You can set the charging speed on your Tesla from the Charging icon on the top left.
We can charge all 4 cars at home, but we need to set the charging speed.

In any case Tesla now has Generation 2 chargers in stock @$475 ea. These can be set to automatically load share without setting the car charge speed limiter. The G2 can be had with a 24 foot cord so you can reach the second car easier. You can use the same 240vac outlet you are currently using by putting a junction box on top of it. Or install a second unique circuit w/breaker and use whatever Wall Charger model you want.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva