TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Home charging - future-proof by getting high-amp J1772 vs HPWC? Which one?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by turbospecc, Jul 4, 2016.

1. turbospecc

turbospecc Member

Model S arriving shortly, but 2nd vehicle in garage in next year or two may or may not be a Tesla. We want to future-proof things by getting a more generic J1772 (80 amp) vs the HPWC. I'm guessing there are many options for the high-amp J1772 EVSE; is there a go-to piece of equipment people are installing right now for this type of scenario?

I'm sure there's already a thread dedicated to this topic, but I didn't see anything definitive after a quick search. Can someone point me in the right direction?

2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Clipper Creek has been the "go-to" for years. CS-100 to be exact.

3. Joel

Joel Active Member

Put a NEMA 14-50 outlet in your garage and buy or convert:

Purchase
    JESLA™ is THE 40 amp J1772 portable charging solution!
    Convert
    UMC conversion to J1772 (JESLA)

Or if you really want the hardware, go with @AEdennis suggestion above.

• Like x 1
  4. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

High Amp J1772 is going to be significantly more expensive than a Tesla Wall Connector. I don't know of a non-Tesla EV that is capable of >30A charging currently so just get the Tesla Wall Connector. If your next vehicle ends up being a Tesla you can install a second Wall Connector that communicates with the first. If you end up getting another EV, it probably will only charge at 30A and you can get a 30A J1772 EVSE for that vehicle.

• Helpful x 1
  5. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

If there's no immediate need, how about just having the wiring done, but leaving it unconnected at the panel and garage? Make sure the wiring's good enough for the amperage. That way when the time comes all that needs to be done is attach it to the panel, and install the charger you need at the garage. It's the pulling the wire which would be the most time consuming part.

6. turbospecc

turbospecc Member

Great info - thanks, all. Didn't realize the high-amp J1772 (CS-100) was so expensive; should be cheaper in a few years once more non-Tesla EVs can utilize it.

I will do the wiring and start with just a 14-50 outlet to figure out if I really even need the faster charging at this point (I did not order the car with the 72 amp charging "unlocked").

7. miimura

miimura Active Member

I would go with a new HPWC with the largest circuit that your situation will allow. In the future, you can make use of the load sharing feature of the new HPWC to add a second HPWC to the same circuit. If necessary, you can change the cable to J1772. Quick Charge Power will be offering 80A J1772 modified HPWCs soon for about $1,000. That is still half the price of a CS-100 and will retain the load sharing feature.

8. Alketi

Alketi Member

I second the 14-50 route. It's what I'm planning on installing because it's the only car-agnostic, future-proof solution and I don't need 80A charging. Five/ten years from now, there are going to be many, many more EVs available.

9. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Just install a HPWC and a NEMA 14-50 ... best of both worlds :cool:

IMG_3843.JPG

10. Brovane

Brovane Member

JuiceBox makes a 18kw High Amp J1772 charger.

JuiceBox® Pro 75 - Smart 75-Amp EVSE with 24-foot cable

• Helpful x 1
  11. tga

tga Active Member

• Helpful x 1