Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m trying to get my set up correct so when I get my M3 I’ll be good to go for home charging.

Im getting a Nema 14-50 installed in my garage Next week.
If I wanted to keep my charger (that came with the car) in my car and get a second one...is the gen 2 mobile connector and 14-50 adapter from Tesla’s website the thing I need to set up for home charging?
Also, is the wall charger on their website the “gen 3”? It doesn’t say that anywhere in the description.
thanks for helping this new Tesla owner!!

Reactions: MHATB FLA
Hi,

if you are going to purchase "a second thing" anyway, you might consider purchasing the wall connector, and having that installed instead of the 14-50, then keep the mobile connector that comes with the car in the car. The only wall connector on the tesla website for sale right now is the "generation 3" or gen 3 one.

There isnt "that" much difference in the price of the wall connector and the mobile connector.

To answer your other question, the gen 2 mobile connector and a 14-50 adapter is what you are asking for, if you want to purchase a second mobile connector to keep in the car, and one to leave at home. I wouldnt do it that way personally however. I would either just use the mobile connector that comes with the car (and purchase a 14-50 adapter), OR purchase a wall connector, have that installed, and leave the mobile connector in the car.

Full disclosure, what I have at home is the wall connector (gen 2) installed, and my mobile connector in the trunk of my car. I have had my car 2+ years and only used my mobile wall connector thats in the trunk less than 5 times. What I have used, though, is the j1772 adapter that comes with the car on "non tesla" chargers, like chargepoint or something.

Like you, I thought I needed to have the mobile connector with me at all times, and it hasnt been necessary (but everyones use case is different). I like having the wall connector, but will readily admit that part of that is the "cool factor" of it and the fact it looks permanent.

If you've already arranged to have a 14-50 installed, the 2nd gen universal mobile connector with the 14-50 plug is the way to go. It's less expensive than the wall connector as well. The only real advantages of the wall connector is that it is weatherproof and can be installed outdoors (not a concern for you) and that it can charge at 40A or 48A, if you electrical panel can support it, and if you're not buying a SR+ (The SR+ onboard charger is limited to 32A anyways).

The 14-50 has long term advantages as well. Your next car will probably be electric, but it might not be a Tesla. The 14-50 allows you to connect another type of charger easily at that point.

if you are going to purchase "a second thing" anyway, you might consider purchasing the wall connector, and having that installed instead of the 14-50, then keep the mobile connector that comes with the car in the car.
@StraightOreo This is absolutely what I recommend. I would suggest either of these two:
1. Just use the mobile charging cable. That's the only thing I've been using for 7+ years. Like when would you ever drive over 200 miles around town and then need to go plug into an OUTLET instead of a Supercharger or some other public charging station? Keeping a cable in the car just isn't needed.
or
2. If you are going to buy a second charging thing, just get a wall connector. That can easily be installed on that 50A circuit you were planning on for the outlet.

Buying a second mobile charging cable would not be on my list.

Rocky's spot-on. You don't need to keep the mobile connector in the trunk, there are public chargers everywhere. Just remember to bring it with you when you go to the vacation home.

And if you really want to have a second charger, get a wall charger, The 14-50 receptacle and cover plate cost $30-$60 and require a GFCI breaker which adds another $100, plus you'll likely want a $10-$20 cable hook, and finally you have to buy the 14-50 adapter from Tesla for $45. The wall charger needs none of those things, looks better, can support faster charge rates, and can automatically negotiate with a second wall charger to stagger charging of 2 cars without overloading your circuit if needed someday.

@TheRFMan is right too. Like the USB standards, Tesla changes their charge connector every 10 years or so and other brands change much more often than that. So yeah, your next car might use a different connector and would need an adapter to use with your old wall charger. The 14-50 on the other hand, is an eternal standard so you can easily swap your old charger for a new one with no adapters or electricians, even 50 years from now.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
I'm not a fan of using the mobile EVSE for frequent use because I don't think it was engineered for that task.

As for Tesla Wall connector Vs a J-1772 EVSE, pick your trade-off.

Tesla
Looks great
Super convenient, wonderful plug
---
Likely more expensive install (I have not idea why -- call it a Tesla tax)

J-1772
Plugs into generic 14-50 receptacle
Requires adapter use for Tesla

Speaking as a new Tesla owner, I decided to go with the wall connector. As stated above I think it looks at lot better and also has a 60 amp breaker. It adds 46 MPH of charging at the max 48 amp.
If I am correct, I believe the Nema 14-50 is a 50 Amp breaker and also chargers a little slower than the wall connector?
I am interested in the Nema 14-50 for charging at mu in laws. I’m curious what the max rate of charge is on one? I prefer day trips and not over night trips 😉 lol

Is there a reason why wall chargers are so much more expensive on eBay vs Tesla’s website? Is the one from Tesla back ordered/ not in stock?
I just checked Tesla’s website and they have stock. My guess is someone just trying to make a buck off people not researching. Tesla chargers ship from CA via FedEx so I had mine 4 days post purchase in MO.

Is there a reason why wall chargers are so much more expensive on eBay vs Tesla’s website? Is the one from Tesla back ordered/ not in stock?
Depends on what you are looking at, on ebay. Tesla only sells the "generation 3" wall connector, which is the current version. The older "gen 2" version is preferred by some, and since you cant get it any longer, would command a premium.

For most people. there will not be a difference in gen 2 vs gen 3, so I am not trying to dissuade you from getting a gen3 one, just giving you a reason why you might find wall connectors selling on ebay for more than directly from tesla.

I ordered one yesterday, shipped out today and will be here on Monday. So currently in stock but it goes out of stock from time to time I believe. I won't need it for probably another month and a half but decided to get anyway just in case they go out of stock again.

I'm not a fan of using the mobile EVSE for frequent use because I don't think it was engineered for that task.

As for Tesla Wall connector Vs a J-1772 EVSE, pick your trade-off.

Tesla
Looks great
Super convenient, wonderful plug
---
Likely more expensive install (I have not idea why -- call it a Tesla tax)

J-1772
Plugs into generic 14-50 receptacle
Requires adapter use for Tesla
Agree, with one more "Pro" for the Tesla wall connector. Button on Tesla charging cable handle will conveniently open the charging port, whereas the J-1772 non-Tesla brand EVSE does have such a button...

If you've already arranged to have a 14-50 installed, the 2nd gen universal mobile connector with the 14-50 plug is the way to go. It's less expensive than the wall connector as well. The only real advantages of the wall connector is that it is weatherproof and can be installed outdoors (not a concern for you) and that it can charge at 40A or 48A, if you electrical panel can support it, and if you're not buying a SR+ (The SR+ onboard charger is limited to 32A anyways).

The 14-50 has long term advantages as well. Your next car will probably be electric, but it might not be a Tesla. The 14-50 allows you to connect another type of charger easily at that point.
This is the way. The US$500 Tesla wall connector is overpriced for many use cases, and while it’s a fine piece of kit, it won’t charge any other car. A 14-50 outlet is much more versatile and economical.

Button on Tesla charging cable handle will conveniently open the charging port, whereas the J-1772 non-Tesla brand EVSE does have such a button...

True enough, but I was thinking of another aspect:

With J-1772 EVSE you have to futz with the Tesla adapter. If Tesla is the only car, you have the option of leaving the Tesla adapter on your home EVSE but then you should remember to take it with you on trips. To avoid forgetting, I put the adapter back in the car after each home charging. A less frugal person than me would own two J-1772 adapters but then the price difference really is narrowing.

I personally choose the 14-50 route with a J-1772 EVSE for these reasons:
  • I want visitors to have the option to charge with whatever EV they own
  • I also own a non-Tesla EV
  • I want my EVSE to play nicely in a 'smart' home. For now that means the Grizzl-E EVSE but I imagine other J-1772 manufacturers will adopt open standards in the near future.

Last edited: