Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
to the OP:
not knowing your long term plans (ie how long ur gonna live there, whether or not ur gonna want a second EV etc), I'd recommend a sub panel with a 100A circuit running out of it. It's true that with the current crop of cars on board charging is limited to 48A so you really don't need more than a 60 A circuit. However, you're rebuilding the garage so you might as well future proof as much as you can now since you're already doing the work. Advantages would include a) ability to add a second HPWC at a reasonable cost. b) if you bought a used Tesla (something that you might be planning anyway) you might be able to charge at 72A or 80A depending on the options on the car c) if a friend that has a 72A or 80A car, they can utilize the increased current. The primary disadvantage is unnecessary cost.

the only reason that most people opt for the Nema 14-50 is because it is very cost efficient and for most people it's adequate. I've got a HPWC with a 100A circuit and I've never encountered a situation where I needed 72A output but it's nice to know that it's available if I need it.