Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging in a new house, need advice.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I recently bought a new house, I had an electrician come by over the weekend and give me an estimate of about $700 to install a 14-50 in my garage. The main panel (200 amps) is on the other side of the house, the garage does have a sub panel. In my garage there is a 6-20 plug for an air compressor that the previous owner left for me. I recently found an adapter from a 6-20 to a 14-50:

NEMA 6-20P to 14-50R Adapter

Would this be ok to use on a daily basis?

Or should I just buy a gen 2 UMC and a 6-20 adapter from Tesla and call it a day for around $330, charging would be around 10-11 miles charge per hour.

Last edited:
So I recently bought a new house, I had an electrician come by over the weekend and give me an estimate of about $700 to install a 14-50 in my garage. The main panel (200 amps) is on the other side of the house, the garage does have a sub panel. In my garage there is a 6-20 plug for an air compressor that the previous owner left for me. I recently found an adapter from a 6-20 to a 14-50:

Or should I just buy a gen 2 UMC and a 6-20 adapter from Tesla and call it a day for around $330, charging would be around 10-11 miles charge per hour.

I’d give it a shot. (The gen 2) At worst, you sell the umc for a slight loss. How far do you drive?

14-50 is what Ive used on 1 car for 5 years. It's perfect

I'd but the 6-20 UMC end from Tesla.

The adapter would be fine for daily use - but the 6-20 line shouldn't be used for more than 16A, and the car will try to pull 32A from it if you're using the 14-50 UMC end and an adapter unless it's turned down in the car (and sometimes the car can forget it was manually turned down, you'd need to get in the habit of checking when you plug in.)

Easier and safer to get the UMC plug - that's what it is designed for, after all.

Reactions: KerryOH
What saghost said. I think it is dangerous to use the adapter as the car won't know about it and will assume you are plugged into a 14-50 (50a breaker and wiring). Installing a true 14-50 outlet would be much safer and faster (or a Tesla wall charger of course, set to the correct amperage)

Well, I had another electrician come out last night and he quoted me $500 to run a line from my panel (55') to the garage for a 14-50 plug, Considering its $200 less then the 1st quote and will be about $170 more than going with the 2nd gen UMC route and Ill be getting double the charging rate, I think its a no brainer.

Don't use the NEMA adapter. Any adapter that converts a low capacity plug to a higher one isn't a great idea to have.
Use the Tesla adapter.
If the speed of the charging is suitable, then life is great.

If you need more speed, $700 isn't too bad, but you could ask for other quotes