Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging Installations in NoVA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an electrician coming by next weekend to provide a quote for a home charging station. I will be using the current Tesla wall connector, which should be delivered tomorrow. The wire will need to traverse about 40 feet (probably 60ft total) of finished and unfinished (furnace room) basement to reach our electrical panel. I'm going to emphasize the need for a 60amp breaker since the wall connector is 48amp max. Are there any other tips or advice? Best/appropriate wire gauge? Anyone done the same who is willing to share what they paid? I'm assuming $1400-1800 given the work required. I used Tesla's search page to find an electrician in my area - only one even called back (grrr) - it's Good Guys Electricians out of Chantilly.

Last edited:
I have an electrician coming by next weekend to provide a quote for a home charging station. I will be using the current Tesla wall connector, which should be delivered tomorrow. The wire will need to traverse about 40 feet (probably 60ft total) of finished and unfinished (furnace room) basement to reach our electrical panel. I'm going to emphasize the need for a 60amp breaker since the wall connector is 48amp max. Are there any other tips or advice? Best/appropriate wire gauge? Anyone done the same who is willing to share what they paid? I'm assuming $1400-1800 given the work required. I used Tesla's search page to find an electrician in my area - only one even called back (grrr) - it's Good Guys Electricians out of Chantilly.
I used the Tesla search page and was very surprised I was only charged $350. That included the 60 amp breaker and 6 gauge wire (probably only 25 feet for my job).

I used the Tesla search page and was very surprised I was only charged $350. That included the 60 amp breaker and 6 gauge wire (probably only 25 feet for my job).
Nice! I'll do cartwheels if it's under $800. I do have drywall and real ceilings (not drop), so I know it's not going to be categorized as a simple install. I understand the breaker is cheap, but wire can get pricey if you need a lot. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I also went through Tesla's listing.. I think electricians here primarily look for 'big' jobs to max profit.

It is the electrician's job to perform a load calculation and advise the customer as to what is possible given the current electrical service. If you want a 60A circuit and there is sufficient capacity then you can have it without further expense. It is the electrician's job to select the correct wire gauge, insulation type and protective sleeve or conduit for the application.

If you end up getting a 60A circuit and the electrician is proposing to use 6 gauge NM-B (Romex type wire) then maybe you should get another electrician. 6 gauge NM-B is only rated for up to 55A and the electrician can easily look this up in the electrical ampacity tables. Other types of 6 gauge wire are rated to up to 75A and can be used with a 60A circuit.

Cerrowire Resources - Ampacity Charts

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
If you end up getting a 60A circuit and the electrician is proposing to use 6 gauge NM-B (Romex type wire) then maybe you should get another electrician. 6 gauge NM-B is only rated for up to 55A and the electrician can easily look this up in the electrical ampacity tables. Other types of 6 gauge wire are rated to up to 75A and can be used with a 60A circuit.
Yes--this. Normally you would just count on the professional to know what is required, but it is getting concerning how many times we keep seeing so-called "electricians" try to do that, with using 6 gauge NM-B for a 60A circuit, with a shrug of the shoulders and "it's fine". No, it's not fine. It's obviously a code violation. So have them specify what they are planning to use. If it's individual 6 gauge wires in conduit, that is fine. But if he's proposing 6 gauge NM-B, fire his ass and get someone who will comply with code.

Cerrowire Resources - Ampacity Charts
FYI the 6 gauge wire used in my installation was not Romex. Not sure where you are getting that from.

This job is going to cost more than I anticipated, but that's often the case in Northern VA. I'm sure I'm paying a bit of a 'Tesla tax' too. I suppose I'll recover the cost in about three years. $2700 is what I'm paying...reluctantly...because I've had a hell of a time getting any electrician on the phone, let alone come out to provide an in-person estimate.

My job is rather complicated, and I knew there would be considerable drywall and panel work involved. They're planning to use 4 gauge wire, since I need 60ft of it, which will run through my garage, into the basement furnace room, and then through my ceiling (drywalled, not drop) to the panel which is on a far wall. All permitted with the county. Three guys and pretty much all day to finish the job.

Last edited:
I also live in the Northern Virginia area and have read some really good Google and Yelp reviews for the following companies (HavePower & Effortless Electric). I also have MYP on order and have an EDD date of 12/7 - 12/31. Effortless Electric is based out of Reston I believe and HavePower is in the Potomac, MD area.