Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i am having issue using charger with my 220 charging plug. Had my electrician check new circuit, 14-15 and fuse and all is good he says.

When I plug my charger into wall outlet all is good and green Tesla lights up like it should. Then I plug into car and the charger cycles through the letters twice then the Tesla t on charger turns red and no charging begins. Manual states some sort of ground fault inteuption but that doesn’t seem to be rhe case. This is sporadic and if I unplug from outlet and rep lug cable back,in sometimes it then stars working fine. I borrowed my neighbors 220 plug and I could not reproduce the problem. So I assumed the pigtail cable was the issue and I called for service. I was supposed to have ranger come to house but they never called so I went to local service center. They tested my charger and cable and said all was fine but gave me new 220 pigtail. I plugged in at home and same issue. Red t then juggle plug /unplug and got it working again.

Has anyone experienced anything like this or thoughts on what if anything could be wrong with outlet maybe that allows this to sporadically work?

Thanks

Doug

The 120v works it seems fine. My electrician came back and tested everything and said it was ok and he showed me the meter read outs etc and all looked good but maybe it isnt.

What is high resistance?

I am going to see if I can plug into my dryer outlet to see also...

Thanks

The 120v works it seems fine. My electrician came back and tested everything and said it was ok and he showed me the meter read outs etc and all looked good but maybe it isnt.

What is high resistance?

I am going to see if I can plug into my dryer outlet to see also...

Thanks
Tesla chargers require a good ground. If your ground is not connected securely, it could have a high resistance or an intermittent problem. ( Resistance between your outlet ground and service inlet ground.)
If it works fine on other circuits, it's probably not the charger itself but the circuit. (Intermittent and poor grounds can be difficult to find. It could be the 14-50 socket itself... unfortunately, a lot of these are sub-standard.)

So I woke up this morning with a charge error on my phone, go outside to check the car and the TESLA letters on charger are not lit up green, proceed to check the breaker and its not tripped, test the outlet with a multimeter and its hot... I am assuming I have a defective charger or 220 pigtail. Didn't have the chance to test the 110 pigtail as I had to leave for work, will try that later.

Some of this you have already done, but below are the steps I would use to troubleshoot this problem.

1. Plug into original 14-50 outlet and charging failed.
2. Plug into 120v outlet. Passed.
3. Find another 14-50 outlet (at neighbor or other business).
Passed. Problem is your 14-50.
Failed. Problem may be your charging cable. Next try to charge another Tesla with your charging cable.

just some thoughts

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr