Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging [issue]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Don65

Mar 30, 2021
Surrey
I have a 40 amp 14/50 Nema plug for charging my model 3. When I’m charging it says I’m charging at 8 amps. Shouldn’t it be around the m3 limit of 32 amps?

F983C7A3-7AAE-43E2-8179-B7BB1F177E45.jpeg

Is it possible you set your charge current lower than the charge cable's max amperage? It's supposed to go to the max automatically but be lower if previously set lower. If the screen shows 8 as the max, maybe the breaker or something else isn't performing at rated capacity.

This can only be adjusted on the main screen in the car.

Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 23.05.50.png

Wasn't aware this was possible. Is it advisable to limit the amps if faster charging isn't needed? My wall connector does 48, which in most cases is way faster than I need.

As long as your system is set up to handle 48 amps (proper gauge wire, proper amp breaker, etc) then you can usually charge at 48 amps with no problem and there is no need to reduce your charging rate. However, there is one exception. I would take into consideration the overall power use in your home as well as the size/capacity of your electrical panel. For example, during the summer when I am running the AC, I usually charge at a lower rate just to make sure I am not over taxing my house electrical system.

I found this calculator recommended on another Tesla forum to do a rough estimate calculation of the load on your particular system to help determine if you can safely charge at 48 amps:

Reactions: puckpurnell
Is it possible you set your charge current lower than the charge cable's max amperage? It's supposed to go to the max automatically but be lower if previously set lower. If the screen shows 8 as the max, maybe the breaker or something else isn't performing at rated capacity.

This can only be adjusted on the main screen in the car.

View attachment 673193

Thank you skygraff I checked screen and it would only allow 8A but then I got a warning that wall plug was not all the way in. Sure enough it had come partially out, so I pushed it in and now able to set it to 32A.

• Informative
Reactions: skygraff and ATPMSD
Yeah, if the plug type you want is sold by Tesla, you just buy it from Tesla. EVSEAdapters is great, but what they are doing is just buying official ones and taking them apart to change the plug type to ones Tesla doesn't sell, so that's why they are going to cost a little more.