Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging - L2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recommended using an LMC "Load Management Controller" to work with the charger when the existing service will be overloaded.
Any comments on LMC (Load Management Controller). Apparently used with multiple EVs, but what about a single residential EV?

I have seen several threads on this type of device. Some models of these are called DCC-9 or DCC-10. They go inline with a certain circuit, like your car charging one in this instance, and they monitor the rest of the use of the house on the main line. And it will decrease or cut off this particular circuit if the rest of the house usage is getting too high and would cause it to go over. Here are some threads about it, including some people who have gotten these installed to fit within smaller or maxed main service:

Do I need to go to the garage every night after everyone is asleep to start to charge. Not acceptable.
No need to go to the garage to push a button. You can set it to start at 1:00 AM or something every night, and it will just do it.

I would also reiterate what @jcanoe mentioned about considering a smaller amp circuit. I hate how some people just instinctively keep chanting the mantra of 14-50 14-50 14-50 14-50 14-50 14-50 14-50 14-50 !!!
A 20 or 30 amp circuit that is 240V is still a pretty decent charging speed and may be something that can be worked in easier than a 50 amp.

The faster charging made possible by installing the Wall Connector on a 50A or 60A circuit (versus using the Mobile Connector and charging at up to 32A) is not needed in most cases. If there are multiple Tesla vehicles that need to be charged then faster charging is helpful. In the future Tesla has stated that two Wall Connectors will be able to share a single charging circuit. That is another benefit of the Wall Connector not related the maximum charging speed.
"Most cases" does mean all cases.

I had a fairly frequent scenario of long day commute, going out to theatre/movies/whatever, getting home close to midnight, and needing to be in the car at 7 AM following morning. A 32A charge (on my X) wouldn't do this, especially in cold weather. I also had late Friday nights finishing work before an incommunicado vacation with an early Sat AM departure (wife driving since I was too tired).

If SC are not practical where you live or play, "worst case" rather than "most cases" may be a better guiding principle.

"Most cases" does mean all cases.

I had a fairly frequent scenario of long day commute, going out to theatre/movies/whatever, getting home close to midnight, and needing to be in the car at 7 AM following morning. A 32A charge (on my X) wouldn't do this, especially in cold weather. I also had late Friday nights finishing work before an incommunicado vacation with an early Sat AM departure (wife driving since I was too tired).

If SC are not practical where you live or play, "worst case" rather than "most cases" may be a better guiding principle.
As an adjective, most means the "majority", the "largest part", "nearly all of". For example: Most cars have four doors.

What percentage is most? People very consistently estimated "most" to be between 80 and 95 percent, no matter what the context, or the speaker's country of origin. All means 100% of something.

As an adjective, most means the "majority", the "largest part", "nearly all of". For example: Most cars have four doors.

What percentage is most? People very consistently estimated "most" to be between 80 and 95 percent, no matter what the context, or the speaker's country of origin. All means 100% of something.
Most cases one can drive without an accident. Most cases the driver doesn’t have passengers.

Because inconvenience most cases you can install just one seat belt. Anyway there are lots of Superchargers, I mean EMTs and hospitals; everywhere anyone drives.