Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging MS on V11, can't set charging amps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recent V11 installed. I have 30 amp service for charging, and used to be able to set the car to 24A charging default. With new version, the setting always defaults to 40A and I have to reset it every time. Am I missing something?

There is a bug on the display on both the phone app and car display. I have found if I change it on my phone app, it will charge at that rate, even though the next time I go into the phone app, it is different. The car display is also different from the setting I make every time I get into the car, but I assume this is also just a display issue. The latest software I have seems to have fixed the car display 2022.4.5.20. Checking the phone app and it is also showing correctly now.

There is a bug on the display on both the phone app and car display. I have found if I change it on my phone app, it will charge at that rate, even though the next time I go into the phone app, it is different. The car display is also different from the setting I make every time I get into the car, but I assume this is also just a display issue. The latest software I have seems to have fixed the car display 2022.4.5.20. Checking the phone app and it is also showing correctly now.

Will check software version...

I have the Gen 3 wall connector. Should be able to charge at 48 amps, and can set it to such, but I find that it seems to want to switch to 47 amps. I assumed it was doing that for some cosmic reason and the difference is not that great so I have ignored, but it is curious. I do have a rather long run to the garage but we used thick cable so 48 amps should not be a prob.

Reactions: X-pilot
I have the Gen 3 wall connector. Should be able to charge at 48 amps, and can set it to such, but I find that it seems to want to switch to 47 amps. I assumed it was doing that for some cosmic reason and the difference is not that great so I have ignored, but it is curious. I do have a rather long run to the garage but we used thick cable so 48 amps should not be a prob.
My charger will allow much higher amps. The issues are the charging cable and the service wiring. The cable can do 40A+ I think, but the outlet service wiring is rated for 30A, and you generally want to limit the load to 80% of the rating to prevent overheating of the wire. So, 24A is the magic number for me, and now I have to set it each time. Thought maybe I was missing an new setting, but apparently not.

My charger will allow much higher amps. The issues are the charging cable and the service wiring. The cable can do 40A+ I think, but the outlet service wiring is rated for 30A, and you generally want to limit the load to 80% of the rating to prevent overheating of the wire. So, 24A is the magic number for me, and now I have to set it each time. Thought maybe I was missing an new setting, but apparently not.
Why would you not configure the EVSE to provide the correct maximum current instead of relying on the car to do the right thing?

The charging is limited by power (kW). So if you have high voltage it may reduce the current. What is it reporting for voltage?

Since v11, the charge amperage setting has never been retained at my home location (2019 Model S). Prior to v11, this setting remained correct and never required adjustment.

This software error (whether a display error or a larger configuration error) has been present in every v11 version I have received.

Reactions: KyleDay
I have the same issue. I set the car to charge at 28 amps at a specific time at night. This has worked fine for 7+ years. Now with the V11 upgrade (which occurred last week) whenever I pull into my garage it does not set the car to charge at the preset time and it resets the charging amperage to 40.

It’s limited by power. If your voltage is on the high side of the scale, it will reduce the amps. Not sure if this is what you are seeing, but it did surprise me. For whatever reason, the voltage at my house is frequently high.