Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn’t the appeal of the Tesla Wall charger that it is just a simple plug in the wall job now so theoretically if u had an outside plug / garage sockets you just plug it in and walk mount the Tesla . Also it means u can take it away with you say for a long holiday etc . Or am I badly missing something ??!!

Isn’t the appeal of the Tesla Wall charger that it is just a simple plug in the wall job now so theoretically if u had an outside plug / garage sockets you just plug it in and walk mount the Tesla . Also it means u can take it away with you say for a long holiday etc . Or am I badly missing something ??!!
That sounds like you're describing the UMC rather than the wall charger?

Or am I badly missing something ??!!

Possibly!

Tesla Wall Charger will give you 27-ish MPH charge rate. Definitely not a 13 AMP plug-in, it needs a Sparky to install it and assuming relatively straight forward cost would be around £460 for the Tesla Wall Charger plus £500 + VAT for installation. Tesla's Wall Charger is not grant-approved. If you buy a grant-approved brand of Wall Charger the cost will go up a bit (red tape / profit / dunno) but roughly speaking you pay the install cost only.

The car comes with a UMC cable which you can plug into 13 AMP socket (and there are various adaptors to plug into Commando and Continental sockets if you are travelling there). 13 AMP charging is 8 MPH, and if you need to take the UMC with you on a rainy day you will have to coil it up wet to put in the car etc. (less of an issue if you charge in your garage) and it is worth considering the wear-and-tear no the UMC cable - they aren't cheap.

Ok thanks for your answers. At this stage probably something like Andersen will suit my ordered M3.

I will probably be in my current house for about 2/3 years then plan to build a house which will incorporate solar eg power wall etc. By then hope my second (SUV) will all be EV. Would I easily be able to take the Anderson on to my next house?

I believe they are currently on quite a long lead time (quality control issue I think), other than that seem to have a good reputation.

Would I easily be able to take the Anderson on to my next house?

Sure. Your Sparky can just leave the cable blanked off and re-fit the Wall Charger at your new house.

But technology moves on ... for example if you have Solar in new house you might be better off with e.g. Zappi charger (which can dump excess PV into the car ... assuming it is at home when the Sun is shining)

By then hope my second (SUV) will all be EV

and at that point you are looking at load-balancing in order to be able to charge two EVs at the same time ... Tesla Wall Charger can handle that, lots don't ... of course you might still have one wall charger and manually swap the car cables over ... but if you want to charge in the middle of the night on cheap Off Peak tariff rates getting up at 3AM to swap cables is probably a bit Bohemian!

Suggest you just buy what makes sense now and either sell it with the house, or take it with you if that turns out to make sense at that time.

Sure. Your Sparky can just leave the cable blanked off and re-fit the Wall Charger at your new house.
You need to inform the DVLA & OLEV if you get a grant (it's a simple email for them to update their records).

But technology moves on ... for example if you have Solar in new house you might be better off with e.g. Zappi charger (which can dump excess PV into the car ... assuming it is at home when the Sun is shining)
Andersen has a Solar PV option like the Zappi. Solar excess goes into EV. (£59 when bought with the unit upfront, they told me it can added post install)

and at that point you are looking at load-balancing in order to be able to charge two EVs at the same time
Likewise Andersen have load-balancing built in, probably worth speaking with them to confirm it can handle your future needs

Suggest you just buy what makes sense now and either sell it with the house, or take it with you if that turns out to make sense at that time.

My advice as well!

I would just get something cheap that will be covered by OLEV grant then when you move and know what you like or dislike from experience, get something that will fit your needs.

Solar is great, but unless you get a non standard oversized install (anything over a 16A, typically 4kWp, install requires DNO approval - often difficult/impossible/expensive) don’t expect it to be contributing much to powering your car, especially late Oct through mid Feb. Lots of things can start eating away at self consumption levels that significantly reduce its usefulness in powering high current devices like an EV and a battery wont necessarily help either. It’s certainly no longer a financially viable proposition, especially if a battery is involved, but as long as people are aware of that and do it for other reasons, it’s all good.

Can YOU do that? I thought it had to be a Sparky (who was authorised and all that jazz). I may well be wrong though ...

YOU will have signed the form (annex D part A) that gives you this obligation. However, it appears that this now only extends for 6 months (used to be 3 years when there was a data collection requirement). Also, the requirement to inform them about moves is only in a FAQ section, not in the actual document that you sign. You could read that FAQ entry to imply there was an open-ended requirement to inform them, but it's entirely unclear how this could be enforced, especially if the property changes hands since there's then no means to bind the new owner. It is clear that this is a grant-in-aid and you own the equipment once it has been installed.

Curious that all the other contact points give an OLEV email address, but the chargepoint moving one is @dvla.gov.uk

There's also the entirely separate issue of informing the DNO - which should normally be done by the electrician, and is required regardless of whether the install was grant-aided or entirely self-funded.

Personally, I wouldn't usually bother moving a chargepoint. Much of the cost is in the installation labour rather than the chargepoint itself, so you are only saving that part of the cost, and the unit may be old and tired by the time you are thinking of moving it. Better to persuade the purchaser of your house that having the chargepoint there adds value, and treat yourself to a brand-new one at the new house.

Have you decided on something else? I’m also looking at the Andersen because it’s one of the only nice looking ones I’ve seen.

Haven't decided. Still dithering. I'll make a firm decision once I get The Call from Tesla.

The charger will have to go on the front of my garage in full view, which is why Andersen had me interested. I really can't decide which of the alternatives (tethered, OLEV) is least ugly.

In case anyone hasn't seen it there is a Google DOCs list of wall chargers

EVSE Options - Google Sheets
I'd always recommend you try to open up my sheet in Google Sheets view rather than pure html as you can filter and get headings etc...

I'm going for Andersen, I need to refresh my distribution board so I'm getting a 16A commando plug getting installed as a stop gap until the Andersen arrives. However I suspect I'll get the charger before the Model 3.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I'd always recommend you try to open up my sheet in Google Sheets view rather than pure html as you can filter and get headings etc...

I'm going for Andersen, I need to refresh my distribution board so I'm getting a 16A commando plug getting installed as a stop gap until the Andersen arrives. However I suspect I'll get the charger before the Model 3.

I went with the Andersen too. Long lead time, my install is scheduled for w/c 26 August, but not an issue really as I also think this will be in advance of my Model 3 arriving, as I’m fairly high up on the order number range (48xx).

Andersen have been pretty good so far comms wise which bodes well. Western Power upgraded my fuse to 80amps already which I’m advised will be enough to cope with the home charger. So, little by little, the preparation for living with an EV is progressing.

And thanks again for your google spreadsheet, really useful.

• Love
Reactions: Baldrick
Haven't decided. Still dithering. I'll make a firm decision once I get The Call from Tesla.

The charger will have to go on the front of my garage in full view, which is why Andersen had me interested. I really can't decide which of the alternatives (tethered, OLEV) is least ugly.

Makes sense. We're being told August from Tesla but, honestly, I'm not optimistic about that. If we have to charge slowly then we can survive that as we don't do a lot of long drives anyway (both me and husband work from home).

I went with the Andersen too. Long lead time, my install is scheduled for w/c 26 August, but not an issue really as I also think this will be in advance of my Model 3 arriving, as I’m fairly high up on the order number range (48xx).

Andersen have been pretty good so far comms wise which bodes well. Western Power upgraded my fuse to 80amps already which I’m advised will be enough to cope with the home charger. So, little by little, the preparation for living with an EV is progressing.

And thanks again for your google spreadsheet, really useful.

Good to hear about Andersen. I think it's what we'll stick with, though I'm waiting to hear back from the Energy Savings Trust about the Scottish £300 charger grant. The information implies you need a registration number to apply for it, but that'll be a long time coming and I want to order the charger ASAP.

Good to hear about Andersen. I think it's what we'll stick with, though I'm waiting to hear back from the Energy Savings Trust about the Scottish £300 charger grant. The information implies you need a registration number to apply for it, but that'll be a long time coming and I want to order the charger ASAP.

Please let us know what they say. (I'm also in Scotland.)

Reactions: dst87
I've just ordered a 32A Commando socket from Tool Station (£29), a UMC2 / 32A Commando Adapter from the USA (£130 inc. shipping and taxes) and my sparky mate will fit it all (£50 and a few beers).

Then if I decide to purchase a "proper" charger in the future, at least I will have a 32A external power source to plug it in to.

I just need the car to arrive now...

I'm thinking about this option. Maybe worth buying a second umc cable to leave plugged in at home (socket could be in garage) - anybody know what Tesla charge for them and/or if there are any pattern part makers?

I'm thinking about this option. Maybe worth buying a second umc cable to leave plugged in at home (socket could be in garage) - anybody know what Tesla charge for them and/or if there are any pattern part makers?

Or how about this with a 32A commando socket:

32A Mobile charger, type 2 - evChargeking

A lot of money for a cable, but if the rest of the installation is cheap enough ....... and you can take it with you when you move